What do these UPS abbreviations actually mean?

supercool

I've worked at UPS for a couple years and there's still a few abbreviations I don't understand.

What do these actually stand for, word-wise:
PD
MF
PF
MDU

And perhaps others if you can think of them. I know what they are and what their function is, but I don't know what the actual abbreviation stands for. It's been driving me nuts.

over9five

Staff member
PD = Package Dump (Otherwise known as Overgoods)

MF = well, I think you know. We all say that!

PF = Package Flow (Tho sometimes they don't!)

MDU = Most Difficult UPSer (We all know one)

tieguy

Banned
I've worked at UPS for a couple years and there's still a few abbreviations I don't understand.

What do these actually stand for, word-wise:
PD
MF
PF
MDU

And perhaps others if you can think of them. I know what they are and what their function is, but I don't know what the actual abbreviation stands for. It's been driving me nuts.

you're seeing these marked on side pan?

PD - primary direct
MF- metro feed
PF- primary feed
MDU- no clue , maybe metro direct unload

brownrodster

We have an "MDU" in our building. However, I have no idea what the initials stand for.

I cannot remember which section of the building is the mdu but it's at one end or the other. One end we unload and the other end is like this crappy add on to the building . One of those is the MDU I think.

govols019

You smell that?
Mobile Distribution Unit?

We had a MDC (Mobile Distribution Center) that was just an old trailer with holes cut in the sides so we could load package cars out of it during peak.

Like this:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

We had a MDC (Mobile Distribution Center) that was just an old trailer with holes cut in the sides so we could load package cars out of it during peak.

Like this:
We have four of these in my Hub but they are used year round because the building is too small. They are backed up to outbound doors and are known as PDUs. Ours are custom built with heat and lighting.

govols019

You smell that?
Ours was heated too. With a kerosene blower that would shoot a flame out of it three feet long.

Man, those were good times.

brownrodster

Like this:

Yup, we have one of those. I guess that's our MDU.

Our building is way too small. Solution - park a freakin MDU at one end. Good for 20 more years.

brownrodster

Wait a minute. We have a PDU also... Ok we have a small building. Which has a crappy trailer type addon parked next to the building. Then at the end of that addition we have another addon which looks like that photo. And then we have freakin rollers going every which way outside the building which are not covered... it's truly ghetto. It's freakin embarassing. How can this company operate like this. lol.

under the radar

A Trained Professional

Like this:

I worked off of one of those bad boys for about ten years (year 'round, not just at peak). It was called "the module." In actuality it was "the deathtrap." Without fail, on cold winter mornings, one or ten of my cohorts would start their vehicles in order to warm them up during wrap-up. The fumes would then come up under the bumpers and make for a nice suicide stew, stealing years from my life.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
We called those things "a dog house ".
Nasty place to work in the winter loading feeders, one caught fire once the cause was all the dust that built up over the years under the dead rollers.

Big Babooba

I worked off of one of those bad boys for about ten years (year 'round, not just at peak). It was called "the module." In actuality it was "the deathtrap." Without fail, on cold winter mornings, one or ten of my cohorts would start their vehicles in order to warm them up during wrap-up. The fumes would then come up under the bumpers and make for a nice suicide stew, stealing years from my life.
UPS installed exhaust hoses on ours. The car wash is supposed to hook up a hose to the exhaust pipe to each vehicle. They are connected to a fan that carries the fumes away.