What do they do to our on car supes??

Hedley_Lamarr

We have one on car in our center who is A) a decent human being B) realistic (seriously) C) has ANY driving time. Always seemed cool, calm, and collected. Now he's on "stress leave." If we loose this guy we are totally EFFED!

Guys like that will go absolutely nowhere,unfortunately. The best sups,who got the best work out of their group,who had the best center numbers,are still sups at best. At worst they left for greener pastures or were fired. The back stabbing snakes in the grass couldn`t move up faster on an elevator.

GeorgiaBrown

I once I had a supe that I was addressing in front of several other drivers and the center manager (he was really cool{the supe} and never forgot what it was like to be a driver, he handled his group with respect) anyway I said in front of all those folks........."Damn, {name left out} you treat your drivers like you don't ever want to get promoted".....everybody laughed including the center manager......

MD Dan

Best I can tell, these guys (supes) are sometimes told to turn numbers without regard to the likelyhood that the numbers are physically possible. Their boss needs numbers to turn in to his/her boss and doesn't care what the OC Supe has to do to obtain these numbers(as long as they don't get caught). The OC Supe's job/career is on the line and those that have a conscience about the way they treat their drivers and have a family of their own to support are sometimes put in impossible situations. Extremely Stressful. Good Luck to us all in our pursuit of the numbers that will make Wall Street happy.

The Milkman

All the decent sups never make it up the ladder. Over the years before I retired and made a couple of transfers,I hear from older drivers from my old ctr, that the same guys are still in the same position. I never had a problem going over and above for one of them but get a real jerk I would go one click over just to get my time bonus, and 9/5 for that matter. Unfortunately the jerks go up, and I wonder about the knuckleheads above them who call the shots if they have any brains to see the Real Picture of the operations.

brownrodster

You won't be EFFED...... you will be back to the normal supervisor operating quota like the rest of us....

Actually, my center has 2 on car sups and both are former drivers, realistic and good guys.

I guess I'm just bragging that not every UPS center is EFFED like yours.

But both of them are career on car sups and will retire from that position (hopefully). I think of my center as a retirement home for management. We are a long way from the hubs and upper management (See a DM a couple times per year). Very little change in management here. Nobackstabbing ambition here that I have seen yet. In 10 years I expect to have most of the same FT management here (I expect the center manager to move upward but that's it).

GeorgiaBrown

I guess you are lucky then... being here close to Corporate we have the whole gambut of &$#smoochers, brown nosers and backstabbers......Hell I think the last 3 or 4 CEO's have come by for a personal visit over the years....sometimes they show up to give us pep talks....then the building is crawling with suits.....a lot of those NY mafia types (strange) lately though.... (saw that topic referenced in some other thread somewhere)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
To sucessfully climb the corporate ladder at UPS, you must keep your feet on the fingers of the man below you and your nose buried firmly up the ass of the man above you. And if you cannot make yourself look better on paper, you must make your rivals for promotion look worse.

The decent guys you describe have no hope of advancement. The best they can hope for is to simply survive long enough to make it to retirement as an on-car sup...but once they hit 53 or 54 years old they stand a good chance of getting whacked anyway, if they make it to 55 the company picks up the tab for their medical insurance until they become eligible for Medicare. Therefore, there is a huge financial incentive for the company to get rid of them earlier by any means necessary.

pretzel_man

To sucessfully climb the corporate ladder at UPS, you must keep your feet on the fingers of the man below you and your nose buried firmly up the ass of the man above you. And if you cannot make yourself look better on paper, you must make your rivals for promotion look worse.

The decent guys you describe have no hope of advancement. The best they can hope for is to simply survive long enough to make it to retirement as an on-car sup...but once they hit 53 or 54 years old they stand a good chance of getting whacked anyway, if they make it to 55 the company picks up the tab for their medical insurance until they become eligible for Medicare. Therefore, there is a huge financial incentive for the company to get rid of them earlier by any means necessary.

Your cynicism is amazing. You cannot come up with this if you were not intelligent, but that does not make you correct.

How did I make it up the ladder for 34 years? I never gave up even a speck of my integrity. Never buried my nose looking up the ladder.

I have had some poor bosses, but not many. Today, all of them are at a lower grade level than me.

I have seen some people spend their time kissing butt. I have seen some managers who loved that. Again, I have not seen this as the norm.

Also, I have seen some Teamsters who spend their time trying to get out of doing work in an unethical way. Again, that is not the norm either.

Today, I work with a lot of great people. The vast, vast majority have moved up the ladder by working hard and doing the right thing. They have "improved numbers" the right way. I also know lots of great drivers who have excellent performance by following methods and trying to reduce miles.

Now, here is what I have seen.... If a supervisor does not know how to properly improve an operation by planning, and holding people accountable that person will struggle. That person should have not gone into supervision to begin with.

While your satire is entertaining, it demeans the thousands of great UPSers that continue to do the right thing and improve UPS every day.

P-Man

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Your cynicism is amazing. You cannot come up with this if you were not intelligent, but that does not make you correct.

How did I make it up the ladder for 34 years? I never gave up even a speck of my integrity. Never buried my nose looking up the ladder.

I have had some poor bosses, but not many. Today, all of them are at a lower grade level than me.

I have seen some people spend their time kissing butt. I have seen some managers who loved that. Again, I have not seen this as the norm.

Also, I have seen some Teamsters who spend their time trying to get out of doing work in an unethical way. Again, that is not the norm either.

Today, I work with a lot of great people. The vast, vast majority have moved up the ladder by working hard and doing the right thing. They have "improved numbers" the right way. I also know lots of great drivers who have excellent performance by following methods and trying to reduce miles.

Now, here is what I have seen.... If a supervisor does not know how to properly improve an operation by planning, and holding people accountable that person will struggle. That person should have not gone into supervision to begin with.

While your satire is entertaining, it demeans the thousands of great UPSers that continue to do the right thing and improve UPS every day.

P-Man
I guess we now know where all of the "good" one's have gone.

Overpaid Union Thug

Best I can tell, these guys (supes) are sometimes told to turn numbers without regard to the likelyhood that the numbers are physically possible. Their boss needs numbers to turn in to his/her boss and doesn't care what the OC Supe has to do to obtain these numbers(as long as they don't get caught). The OC Supe's job/career is on the line and those that have a conscience about the way they treat their drivers and have a family of their own to support are sometimes put in impossible situations. Extremely Stressful. Good Luck to us all in our pursuit of the numbers that will make Wall Street happy.

And there you have it. That is the problem with UPS. It's all about the "numbers" and that's all that matters.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
What's with all this "numbers" mumbo jumbo? Last time I read my contract, it doesn't state anything about "production". Therefore, I do the best I can everyday, and the "numbers" will fall where they may.

My only concern is the "numbers" in my paycheck. Thank you... cha ching. Let these supes get stressed out and worry about their jobs.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

P-Man

I guess our experiences have been different.

I have seen 53 yr old on-car sups get whacked on trumped-up charges for stuff that would have been overlooked had they been 20 yrs younger and not on the verge of qualifying for retirement benefits.

I have had the opportunity to have "off the record" discussions with current and retired management people who have shared their opinions and experiences with me.

I will say from experience that the overwhelming majority of UPS management people are honest and ethical...or at least intend to be until the unrelenting pressure of impossible expectations puts them into a place where their very survival depends upon making a number instead of producing a result.

If I accidentally left my wallet on my center manager's or supervisors desk, I have 100% confidence that it would still be there the next day with all the money in it. I wouldnt even waste time counting it.

However...I still check the WOR every day to make sure my hours and time card didnt get "altered". My trust only goes so far.

happybob

Feeders

P-Man
Thank you for doing it the right way. Now come back down the ladder and work with those that need your guidance.

bad company

semi-pro

P-Man

Guess that means you're not in the GA District.