What do you do to be "Green"

rushfan

UPS touts how to be green. I think they go too far when suggesting things we can/need to to at home. When I'm on UPS's time, I will do what they want me to do-however-when I'm at home, I'm free to do what I want.

Here are a few things I do to be green:

1. Turn on as many lights as possible when needed

2. Keep my thermostat where I want-and not what others want

3. Use the amount of plastic bags I need. I was a "box boy" growing up when the switch was made from paper to plastic. It was touted that by using plastic, we were saving trees. Now, plastic is just as bad. When an unknown ******* came up to me and commented, "you think you have enough bags", I said, "I don't belong to the "green religion". He shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

4. I eat meat. I don't give a **** what the green crowd thinks. I support the ranching industry.

5. When frauds like Al Gore stop flying around in his G4, turns off his lights at his house, and stops the limo rides-I'll consider going "green". Do what you preach.

6. Global warming?!? We shall see....

7. Carbon Credits? Just another scam where someone is making money off of corporate/personal guilt.

8. I use charcoal-not gas to grill. It just tastes better.

9. Carbonation makes beer/soda taste better. How would it be to drink those with out the "dreaded" CO2.

10. We have our own personal freedoms-not what pop culture preaches to us.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
You are my hero. Seriously.

"...2. Keep my thermostat where I want-and not what others want..."

I grew up with no money, heat always off, dad told us to put on a sweater. My favorite appliance is the thermostat - I set it where I want.

UPS burning 2 billion gallons of diesel a year kind of ironic.

Hedley_Lamarr

I wish I could put the dam thermostat where I want it, over the winter it cost me and my wife about $400 a month to heat the house. And we were shivering our arsses off all friggen winter...

rod

Retired 22 years
I've slowed down on beer drinking. You've noticed the bottom of the aluminum market has fallen to record lows haven't you.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I used to buy bottled water and now just bought some aluminum thermoses and get water by the gallons delivered to the house.

We also set up trash cans outside for plastic, cans, and paper. My friend works for several land fills and tells me the best thing to do is reduce waste. So that is what I try for the most. I eliminated the news paper and just read it online. Not as much as others but more than I was doing last year.

City Driver

honestly not much, im about sick of hearing the phrase "going green" EVERYWHERE in the media

like the OP i eat meat, set my thermostat where i want and drive whatever kind of car/truck i want

some1else

Banned
i drive a car with an EXTREMELY loud exhaust that also gets only 10-15mpg depending on how hard i run it :)

i do my part and extra by putting the clutch in and revving up to 6500rpm EVERYTIME i pass a stupid hybrid they love it i think... luckily i know them libs aint going to have a gun so you can mess with em all you want

FAVREFAN

UPS touts how to be green. I think they go too far when suggesting things we can/need to to at home. When I'm on UPS's time, I will do what they want me to do-however-when I'm at home, I'm free to do what I want.

Here are a few things I do to be green:

1. Turn on as many lights as possible when needed

2. Keep my thermostat where I want-and not what others want

3. Use the amount of plastic bags I need. I was a "box boy" growing up when the switch was made from paper to plastic. It was touted that by using plastic, we were saving trees. Now, plastic is just as bad. When an unknown ******* came up to me and commented, "you think you have enough bags", I said, "I don't belong to the "green religion". He shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

4. I eat meat. I don't give a **** what the green crowd thinks. I support the ranching industry.

5. When frauds like Al Gore stop flying around in his G4, turns off his lights at his house, and stops the limo rides-I'll consider going "green". Do what you preach.

6. Global warming?!? We shall see....

7. Carbon Credits? Just another scam where someone is making money off of corporate/personal guilt.

8. I use charcoal-not gas to grill. It just tastes better.

9. Carbonation makes beer/soda taste better. How would it be to drink those with out the "dreaded" CO2.

10. We have our own personal freedoms-not what pop culture preaches to us.
Can't believe you really are a true "Rushfan" They would be ashamed of what you put here. You must not really know much about them. Read up on what Alex Lifeson is doing in the building of his new home. They do alot financially and personally to try to make up for what they do by touring.

FAVREFAN

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Change your 2.5GPM shower head to a 1.5GPM shower head.
Look into whole house/point of use water heaters next time your water heater goes out.
Get a water heater jacket/blanket.
Insulate your hot water piping if possible.
Change all your bulbs to CFL's....DUH! (LED's down the road)
Next time you buy a car, consider better fuel efficiency, the Insight is out today.
Install new weatherstripping around your doors.
Install a stormdoor if you don't have one.
Check all of your window caulking.
Next time buy thermal blinds/curtains. Also, open blinds in winter days to let in sunlight/heat, close in summer to keep out sun light/heat.
Take everything off of standby in your home.....Tv's, electronics, pc's. Idle electronics consistantly waste up to 10W of power 24 hrs per day.
Get active. Speak out. Speak up at work about changes that we can make. Make it o.k. with others, don't force feed them, just educate.
All these things and many others will not only make a difference environmentally, it will save you big money in the long run. Who doesn't want to save money?
Let's all keep an open mind here. Take care.

over9five

Staff member
True. I am sorry. But they wouldn't want that as a fan. Against what they are about.

C'mon! They want any fan that will buy their music. Do you really feel music artists only want money from people who agree with their political views? Isn't it supposed to be about the music?

I think people give too much credence to the views of actors and musicians. I mean, they're .....actors and musicians! We're supposed to like how they act and sing, we can seperate that from their political views I think. We can like how they sing, and disagree with their views, can't we?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So, if the Rush theory was correct (and this is pushing it perhaps)

All Britney Spears fans should dress in scantily clad, act like idiots and give themselves up easily including addictions to drugs and associated psychological problems

And then and only then they are loyal, true fans...because they support her lifestyle and choices!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Meanwhile...

I have switched all of my light bulbs to CFLs. The only part I don't like is that it takes a few minutes for the bulb in the bathroom to warm up so I end up turning it on, go do something, and then come back and it is finally at full strength.

I recycle and try to get others to do so.

I combine errands so I have been driving less.

I keep the thermostat low and put on a sweater if I am chilly.

I wash my dishes by hand and do laundry once a week.

I turn off lights when I leave a room.

City Driver

C'mon! They want any fan that will buy their music. Do you really feel music artists only want money from people who agree with their political views? Isn't it supposed to be about the music?

I think people give too much credence to the views of actors and musicians. I mean, they're .....actors and musicians! We're supposed to like how they act and sing, we can seperate that from their political views I think. We can like how they sing, and disagree with their views, can't we?

i think people give too much everything to celebrities

money, power, attention

i mean paris hilton could break a nail and it would be in the new york times....

the way americans treat celebrities is absolutely ridiculous....they are only humans, people are just so shallow

Channahon

"Going Green" will save you some green, as in money.
Energy efficient building materials and appliances make a difference not only for the environment, but your utility bills.

And why give those crooks anymore than it costs to run an energy efficient house.

some1else

Banned
Read up on what Alex Lifeson is doing in the building of his new home.
that is the bigest enviromentalist crock ever!!! think about it; the "footprint" of him building a NEW green home vs. buying a modest <1000 sq ft existing home. it will be a long time until his home that at most may save 25% will make up for all the back hoes, new streets/sewer etc. etc. that goes into building his new one.

like "Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year." that is with all the latest and greatest "green" technology in contrast my apartment (built 1985) uses under 500kwh monthly and i drive less than 5 miles to work so even though i drive a v-8 "gas guzzler" my footprint is way smaller than his!

its just a load of liberal crap but this time its going to be expensive!!! cap/trade etc...