What do you like about the Union?

Buck Fifty

It is your choice as to whether you use your personal cell phone for company business. I choose to. Had one the other day where the consignee forgot what street they lived on. One phone call, ADC in DIAD, consignee had package and one less for the clerk to process. I have a T-shirt shop that takes their lunch when I am in their area so I call ahead with the CODs and they leave me the checks.

I do not call consignees off the clock---I call them by their given names.

Read this post and I could hear that huge sucking sound as usual ! Hope the roof holds.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Unions don't promote mediocrity. They just make sure it gets equal treatment with excellence.

That quote and the other one "Unions promote mediocrity" bug me.

The Union (the officers: National, Regional, and Local) do not want you to be mediocre or less productive. They want you to follow the Contract, but it you can bust out more stops than other drivers by following the rules then that's great. If you are cheating by not taking your lunch, for example, then that takes money out of your pocket and prevents another driver from being hired (8 drivers skipping 1 hour lunches each day is an 8 hour day someone is not getting that is probably stuck in part-time.) If you work hard and are productive the Company will do better overall and put them in a much better position to ask for a better Contract at negotiating time. We can't control the boneheaded decisions Management makes but we can control how much effort we put in. The Union always encourages you to perform your duties in a way that best represents the Employer's interests, and we even put it in writing in Article 37.

On the Local level, there are times where an unofficial slowdown can get you the change you need in your local management practices. Again, by not working to your best potential during 'normal' times you lessen the effectiveness of this collective action.

Also consider that you do not know the health conditions etc of other drivers or what 'personalized' directives they may be working under. It's natural to assume when you are the new 22 yr old driver that can run circles around that 50 yr old that they are dead weight but more often that not that isn't the whole story. They were 22 years old once too. The Union is there to protect the members & our work, and if the standard is what a 22 year old driver can do & every thing else is considered 'mediocre', be prepared to be unemployed by 30.