What do you think would happen at UPS if...?

Integrity

Binge Poster
What do you think would happen at UPS if every single UPS management person worldwide made a New Year's resolution for 2010 to make the care of each package a priority and the care of each employee a priority and started to view production as the means by which this care is measured?

A cared for customer combined with a cared for workforce will be productive.

It seems to me that without the package and without the employee there really would be no UPS.

What do you think?

I

I think one of two things would happen.
1. We would see many managers getting fired. OR
2. We would see many resolutions broken.

D

Dis-organized Labor

"It seems to me that without the package and without the employee there really would be no UPS".

Great observation. Assuming United and service do not pertain to employees, all that's left is US. That one's taken, and we'd have all kinds of legal issues.

I think Integrity is having and off day today.

upssup

So under your generalization, what would happen if Drivers quit whining about telematics and actually did their job as they were trained?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
What do you think would happen at UPS if every single UPS management person worldwide made a New Year's resolution for 2010 to
make the care of each package a priority and
the care of each employee a priority
and started to view production as the means by which this care is measured?

It seems to me that without the package and without the employee there really would be no UPS.

What do you think?

I

How would you measure these?
These are nothing but empty sentiments if they can not be measured?

Integrity

Binge Poster
What do you think would happen at UPS if every single UPS management person worldwide made a New Year's resolution for 2010 to make the care of each package a priority and the care of each employee a priority and started to view production as the means by which this care is measured?

What do you think?

I

What do you think it would be like at UPS if this actually happened? Would you like this? Do you think some employees would be happier?

I appreciate the need and I welcome anyone who may want to blow off some steam or poke fun at my questions but I am very interested in serious answers if anyone is willing to think about this. Thanks

I

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

What do you think it would be like at UPS if this actually happened? Would you like this? Do you think some employees would be happier?

I appreciate the need and I welcome anyone who may want to blow off some steam or poke fun at my questions but I am very interested in serious answers if anyone is willing to think about this. Thanks

I

I believe the reason no one is answering your questions is because they are based in idealistic notions that have nothing to do with the real world.

Go listen to John Lennon's "Imagine" if you want some insight to your questions.

NHDRVR

What do you think?

I

Since when is management allowed to handle cardboard??

GRIEVANCE...

Integrity

Binge Poster
Since when is management allowed to handle cardboard??

GRIEVANCE...

Dear NVDRVR,

Management are contractually prohibited from handling packages however, it is the responsibility of the management to oversee the package handlers and to ensure that every package is handled correctly and carefully. That is what the customer's do pay for afterall.

You are correct if you are implying or saying that grievances should be filed when supervisors are handling packages in violation of the collective bargaining agreement.

Sincerely,

I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I think one of two things would happen.
1. We would see many managers getting fired. OR
2. We would see many resolutions broken.

Dear trplnkl,

My hypothetical question assumes that the resolutions will be kept.
Based upon this, would it change your answer ?

Sincerely,

I

Integrity

Binge Poster
So under your generalization, what would happen if Drivers quit whining about telematics and actually did their job as they were trained?

Dear upssup,
I don't support whining and if all Drivers did their jobs exactly as they were trained I think UPS would change for the better. I think more drivers might be happier and more fulfilled also.

It is the responsibility of management to oversee the work force and to provide the employee with the correct environment and support to enable them to do the job exactly as they are trained. UPS Policy does claim to do this but I think local management do a very poor job in this area.

Sincerely,
I

bbsam

Staff member
Brings to mind John Lennon's "Imagine" song. Unfortunately for you humans are naturally self-centered and completely lacking in that kind of sustained altruistic compassion for their fellow beings.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Dear Mr Jingles,

Doesn't UPS already measure, track and assign credit to the operation responsible for damaging customers property?

UPS already measures employee relations using the ERI.

Sincerely,

I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Brings to mind John Lennon's "Imagine" song. Unfortunately for you humans are naturally self-centered and completely lacking in that kind of sustained altruistic compassion for their fellow beings.

Dear bbsam,

I hear you but,

What do think it would be like if it happened ? Would it make things better? Would people be happier?

Sincerely,
I

Frunobulax

The problem with "integrity," as one of the respondents suggested, is that it is necessarily an idealization. The root of the word, denoting wholeness, perfection, and incorruptible virtue, bears this out. Humans, to put it mildly, are fallible creatures; and some individuals are more fallible (and have less integrity) than others.

As an exercise, think about aggregating the flaws and faults of 400,000+ worldwide employees. That's a lot of fallibility that needs to be monitored and kept in check.

I don't imagine that it helps the situation any having a permanent labor/management faultline, with two different systems--mgt., a theoretical meritocracy; and labor, an updated guild system based on seniority--that are in a sense in perpetual conflict, with the battles not only always smoldering through the grievance procedures but then inevitably threatening to ignite full-blown every few years come contract time.

In another thread, someone noted the paramilitaristic aspect of UPS. This was my first impression as well. And I wonder if this quality has been instilled as a kind of substitute for integrity, which, by definition, will always be elusive.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
The problem with "integrity," as one of the respondents suggested, is that it is necessarily an idealization. The root of the word, denoting wholeness, perfection, and incorruptible virtue, bears this out. Humans, to put it mildly, are fallible creatures; and some individuals are more fallible (and have less integrity) than others.

As an exercise, think about aggregating the flaws and faults of 400,000+ worldwide employees. That's a lot of fallibility that needs to be monitored and kept in check.

I don't imagine that it helps the situation any having a permanent labor/management faultline, with two different systems--mgt., a theoretical meritocracy; and labor, an updated guild system based on seniority--that are in a sense in perpetual conflict, with the battles not only always smoldering through the grievance procedures but then inevitably threatening to ignite full-blown every few years come contract time.

In another thread, someone noted the paramilitaristic aspect of UPS. This was my first impression as well. And I wonder if this quality has been instilled as a kind of substitute for integrity, which, by definition, will always be elusive.

I LIKE!!!

Now what did you say?

Frunobulax

A partial translation would be that in a huge complex organization with a diverse workforce, management will continually try to impose methods, procedures, production goals and, generally speaking, as much uniformity as possible as a means of taming human fallibility. That's as close as you're likely to get to "integrity" in my opinion.