What do you want in 2013 contract ?

GolfCart

Please list most important to least .
ME ......

Better paid days......................... ( 8-9 hrs instead of 9-10 hrs OR LONGER ! )
Better plans to ask for day off ...... ( VERY hard to get day off in my hub )
Better 9.5 plan ........................... ( current 9.5 plan sucks )
Less Harassment .........................( UPS hates us )
Better benifits/retirement............ ( I am 41 with 24 yrs , so I can not retire early )
Better sick days ......................... ( maybe have 2 weeks option instead of 1 week )
Less Use of telematics.................. ( talk to , NO waring letters )
small raise.................................. ( everyone needs cash )
maybe get paid in stock options ?... ( if no raise , GIVE ME STOCK )
overall better working condtions ....( go back in the past , UPS was a PERFECT , GREAT job 10 yrs ago !!!!!! )

old levi's

blank space
Please list most important to least .
ME ......

Better paid days......................... ( 8-9 hrs instead of 9-10 hrs OR LONGER ! )
Better plans to ask for day off ...... ( VERY hard to get day off in my hub )
Better 9.5 plan ........................... ( current 9.5 plan sucks )
Less Harassment .........................( UPS hates us )
Better benifits/retirement............ ( I am 41 with 24 yrs , so I can not retire early )
Better sick days ......................... ( maybe have 2 weeks option instead of 1 week )
Less Use of telematics.................. ( talk to , NO waring letters )
small raise.................................. ( everyone needs cash )
maybe get paid in stock options ?... ( if no raise , GIVE ME STOCK )
overall better working condtions ....( go back in the past , UPS was a PERFECT , GREAT job 10 yrs ago !!!!!! )

You forgot "a reach around" and a kiss on the back of the neck!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Better benefits/retirement---we currently enjoy an industry leading benefit and retirement package while most employers have either scaled back or begun passing the costs on to their employees. Be thankful for what you have as it is not going to improve.

Better sick days--see above.

Small raises--we make enough money. It is time to take care of the part timers.

Stock options--thanks, but no thanks.

The reality is that the use of Telematics for discipline will become contract language in 2013.

We currently do not pay for healthcare and, while I would prefer to have that continue and receive a raise, if forced to choose I would prefer free healthcare.

Although this is not an issue in my center, it is obvious that 9.5 is an issue in others and strengthening the 9.5 language is essential.

I would not be surprised to see a two-tiered wage system for new FT hires proposed by the company and a signing bonus offered to get it implemented. New FT hires would have a lower starting wage, lower top out and longer progression.

I would like to see the company allow their male employees to have neatly trimmed facial hair beyond that currently allowed. This will never happen but it doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it.

Free healthcare
Raises for PTers
Telematics used for discipline
Two-tiered wages
9.5 language
Beards

tranham

IMO
Rasies for part timers are long past due.

Currently our manning is so under staffed it is impossible to use an option day without screwing my manager. They have to run a sup on the road even this time of year. There should be some language that requires UPS to have adequate amount of drivers to cover all reasonable vacations and option days. It seems just greedy for UPS to run a route every day or two with a sup.

Give me the option to change one of my vacation weeks to option days.

Require training on all new technology instead of just having it appear one day on our trucks. We had one driver lose part of his finger on the new FOB keyless entry sytem. He did not know how to open the back door and tried from the inside. It would not open so he stuck his finger in the latch and released it manually. Door came up and cut it. On the other side of coin he was not the smartest guy in the huib.

Make every center a bonus center.

Any accident must be reviewed by the union or independent 3rd party beforehand to see if it was avoidable or not.

Money never hurts, even if I make more than the on road sup does per hour, as long as the company is making billions in profit.

Its too bad the contact is only for hourly workers. I think my on road sups need a contract more than we do.

Robert

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would like at least 5 days of sick time per yr, in lieu of any raise.
part timers pay increase is way way over due. I started at 8 an hour in 1984, this is ridiculous, its little over minimum wage. It is a hard job too!!
Mgmt and union should be involved in accident investigations. An accident that you are fired for could hurt your chance to get another job.
9.5 language, needs to be solid.

GolfCart

I agree partimers have it bad ! My hub will not let any cover drivers work anymore , unless they have to . Those guys are suffering . Need more money and more full time jobs . I was not being unfair to them , I am full time so I was just thinking what would help me , and my job . I just hope ups does not bribe the partimers with a bonus to make contract get voted through .

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I definately dont want bonus. IMO this is why time allowances are so screwed up now. Im 41 and Im not running a race anymore. I limp home every day and any sup in my center will tell you I do my job by the book, and better than any 23 yr old lunch skipping dont give a crap kid. And Im .75 over every day.

over9five

Staff member
OT reduction for Feeder drivers who request it. We are not long haul drivers, it is insane to force people to work 14 hours.

UPSGUY72

Better benefits/retirement---we currently enjoy an industry leading benefit and retirement package while most employers have either scaled back or begun passing the costs on to their employees. Be thankful for what you have as it is not going to improve.

Agree

Better sick days--see above.

Agree

Small raises--we make enough money. It is time to take care of the part timers.

Both FT and PT get the same raises.

Stock options--thanks, but no thanks.

agree

The reality is that the use of Telematics for discipline will become contract language in 2013.

Not a chance.

We currently do not pay for healthcare and, while I would prefer to have that continue and receive a raise, if forced to choose I would prefer free healthcare.

See below.

Although this is not an issue in my center, it is obvious that 9.5 is an issue in others and strengthening the 9.5 language is essential.

Agree

I would not be surprised to see a two-tiered wage system for new FT hires proposed by the company and a signing bonus offered to get it implemented. New FT hires would have a lower starting wage, lower top out and longer progression.

isn't going to happen either union would not allow it also see below.

I would like to see the company allow their male employees to have neatly trimmed facial hair beyond that currently allowed. This will never happen but it doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it.

Free healthcare
Raises for PTers
Telematics used for discipline
Two-tiered wages
9.5 language
Beards

UPS is making Billions of dollars a Quarter why would anyone agree to give anything back to the company. Once you give something up you will never get it back.

I agree the the starting pay for PT is low however it can't be to bad people still apply for those jobs and they are currently guaranteed $3.37 in raise over the first 4 years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The company would not have spent millions to implement Telematics just for the hell of it. It will be contract language that it can be used for discipline without direct observation.

Have you tried getting a sales lead lately? Our price point is putting us at a competitive disadvantage, hence the two tiered wage system.

brownelf

those of us in the central states/UPS plan need a raise in our retirement benefits to what you guys get in NY. It should be the same benefit nationwide for retirement regardless of region, this is a national contract. As far as sales leads go as long as they keep cutting routes and pissing off long time customers by changing delivery times I don't have a chance to retain their business. Just lost a large shipper recently because I'm no longer able to deliver his stop before 9am anymore (late start now due to preload issues) don't even start till 9am now. He called in a concern about it and was told by center manager it was a business decision and it wasn't going to happen. They might as well take the SERVICE out of our name...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ours is a multi-employer pension plan. I agree in principle that there should be one standard pension throughout the country but am not willing to give up what I have earned in order to make this happen.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
those of us in the central states/UPS plan need a raise in our retirement benefits to what you guys get in NY. It should be the same benefit nationwide for retirement regardless of region, this is a national contract.

Ours is a multi-employer pension plan. I agree in principle that there should be one standard pension throughout the country but am not willing to give up what I have earned in order to make this happen.

I think UpState understands that the most probable outcome in an effort to equalize and standardize retirement benefits is that the best will be dragged down just north of the worst.
That seems to be the inevitable consequence of any effort to Socialize a disparate inequality amongst groups of people.

Packmule

Language that expressly forbids UPS from charging any driver with any accident that would legally be deem not at fault by Federal, state, county and municiple traffic laws.

Language that prevents UPS from charging any driver with any accident that occurs during hours when local law enforcement has issued no-travel advisories.

Language that provides drivers with the right to determine whether or not they will deliver a misload.

Language that requires UPS to provide extended drivers in northern climates with 4wD P700s.

Language that requires the company to officially state their policy so that it matches what their on-car sups are training. (Like, can we be in a residential driveway when necessary, or not.)

Better language that controls hours. Suggest that 8 to 9.5 hours, time and a half. 9.5 to 10.5, double time. 10.5 and up, tripple time. This won't go away during the holidays the way the current language does.

Move all, or most of my pre 2008 contributory years into the new UPS/IBT pension fund for life, not just until age 65.

Give the part-timers better tools to prevent misloads.

Give part-timers a raise, so as to retain quality people.

Maintain all current progression raises to full scale, but cap full time, full scale pay for the next 3 years.

May be others, but that's what I'm remembering at the moment.