What does your facility actually do about weight "mistakes"

Kenneth C.

Working pre-load, once in a while, I see packages that obviously have the wrong weight on their label. For example yesterday I loaded two identical " 1 Lbs" packages that weighed probably more like 30 Lbs. Sometimes the discrepancy is more important.
I once asked our co-chair, who taught me pretty much everything I know about the job : "what do we do about these obvious attempts to fraud ?"
He answered : "Nothing !", acknowledging it was wrong but that nothing was done about it.

I'd like to have as many answer as possible from any of you about how this is handled (no pun intended) at the facility where you are working.

upschuck

Most hubs have dimensional scales that weigh and measure packages as they are unloaded. They probably have already been adjusted, just nothing marked.

wayfair

swollen member
revenue recovery here. They'll weigh/measure, scan and a billing correction is sent to shipper or is adjusted on their statement.

HardknocksUPSer

Doesn't seem like most of the over 70's have labels on them at my center, doesn't seem like anyone actually cares, they all get tore open and tore to shreds anyways due to whoever loaded the trailer at the centers before they got to ours.

Satuirus2000

I don't pay much mind to weight mistakes that are off by 30lbs or whatever UNLESS they're packages that are 150lbs+. In my center there are TONS of packages that say they weight 150lbs, but really are 170 to 200lbs. Stuff like that is NOT supposed to come through the regular sort and instead must go through freight. If they come through the regular sort I make management handle it because in the contract it's not required for a union worker to even touch those packages unless they're broken down into smaller packages. I try to tell some of my co-workers that but a lot of them are dumb and touch and load them anyway. Whatever. That's their bodies they're unnecessarily screwing up.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If they come through the regular sort I make management handle it because in the contract it's not required for a union worker to even touch those packages unless they're broken down into smaller packages.
If management touches it we get a grievance or the threat of a grievance. I'll get you some help.

In my facility it's up to the sort sup to fill out the paperwork for adjustments. I can't remember the last time one of my guys pulled me aside for a ground one. But my air driver routinely pulls me aside over it.

clean hairy

I don't pay much mind to weight mistakes that are off by 30lbs or whatever UNLESS they're packages that are 150lbs+. In my center there are TONS of packages that say they weight 150lbs, but really are 170 to 200lbs. Stuff like that is NOT supposed to come through the regular sort and instead must go through freight. If they come through the regular sort I make management handle it because in the contract it's not required for a union worker to even touch those packages unless they're broken down into smaller packages. I try to tell some of my co-workers that but a lot of them are dumb and touch and load them anyway. Whatever. That's their bodies they're unnecessarily screwing up.
So, if it is a box that has 25 LBS on the label, and weighs 50 LBS, you don't mind that the Customer is only paying half price for their shipment?

wayfair

swollen member
So, if it is a box that has 25 LBS on the label, and weighs 50 LBS, you don't mind that the Customer is only paying half price for their shipment?

If I have an issue with it, I pull the packages and head straight to the revenue recovery guy... he likes it when drivers give him work!