What happened after the 97 strike was over?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think the ones who crossed got flack for awhile and then things were back to normal. The ones who crossed may be dues paying members and can't vote on anything. Ooooooh what a penalty since about 60% of members don't vote anyway. I'm wondering if any supervisors drove routes out to drivers who weren't on the line and had them work, and then the supervisor would drive the truck back to the building.
I did that with 9 -10 drivers.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
All employees kept their jobs.
The ones that crossed the line were treated very fairly by management because management realized the Union would not represent them as required by law.
Many picket crossers that had accidents were not given warning or suspension letters to show thanks.

Ah, the good ole days... When, management viewed hourly employees as individuals and graded them upon merit.

Fast forward to today when, we're just expensive tools to be used and abused till broken and, a cheaper one be bought.

Who's the bad guy? @Dragon

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You ignoring them ... more like a reward!
My building took a real serious view on harassing scabs.

Can you imagine almost never talking to your co-workers for 18 years now.

That would be torture to me.

Thank god no driver in my center crossed.

ManInBrown

Can you imagine almost never talking to your co-workers for 18 years now.

During the PCM the other day they are handing out safe driving awards. I'm standing next to a 20 year employee. They hand one out to a driver for 14 years safe driving. The 20 year employee turns to me and says I never knew what his name was. I thought it was odd. Now I'm not in a huge center. But it's not small either. Maybe 60 drivers. And the 14 year employee wasn't a transfer. They both have spent their whole careers at this center.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Why did you need the work? Most of us looked at it as an extra vacation. No Feeder drivers crossed in my building.
I walked the picket lines about 10 or 11 days straight. And let's just say I was getting pressure from home about my choices. That $50.00/week strike pay wasn't going very far and it was delayed on top of that. Some of our union competitors were hammered with volume, and the union offered work, and I took it. It was delivering packages for consolidated. I think I worked 2 days and the strike was settled. They had offered OTR work to California with team drivers, but I had an idea the strike wasn't going to last long, and I didn't want to be thousands of miles away when the call came to go back to work.

Ms.PacMan

Not one person, full or part time crossed at my center.

One part timer with a lot of years in was going to cross because mgmt told him he would lose his job. Some of the senior drivers talked to him and he drove home. Just the act of contemplating crossing the picket line made him a pariah for quite awhile.

As I recall they didn't even call the strike until midnight. I was dropped off in the middle of the night at a podunk center in IL. on a highway - either a 705 or 710 local (they weren't on strike). Just little ol me with a lawn chair and a picket sign. All thru the night semi drivers honked at me. The first employee I saw was a feeder driver who parked the semi in the lot and left. The first driver I saw couldn't believe what he was seeing and stopped in the middle of the road for a second laughing. He pulled into a gas station across the street and was followed by the other drivers showing up for work. They huddled around waving at me from across the street then decided to one by one call in from the pay phone there at the gas station. One of supes tried moving the abandoned semi into position at the dock and hit the building. Good times!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I pretty much ignore the scabs to this day. they don't belong to the union either and I consider them thieves as well. one package driver crossed into management and is a feeder stupe.

all the old timers hate his guts and he really doesn't understand why. he makes friends with all the young feeder drivers who came on after the strike.

he has a pathetic existence. its only right.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I walked the picket lines about 10 or 11 days straight. And let's just say I was getting pressure from home about my choices. That $50.00/week strike pay wasn't going very far and it was delayed on top of that. Some of our union competitors were hammered with volume, and the union offered work, and I took it. It was delivering packages for consolidated. I think I worked 2 days and the strike was settled. They had offered OTR work to California with team drivers, but I had an idea the strike wasn't going to last long, and I didn't want to be thousands of miles away when the call came to go back to work.
I had twin 4 year olds and one 9. Never considered working or needed the money. After 6 months I might have started to worry. Nobody in my building crossed although some were getting itchy after a few days.

JL 0513

What work would there be on the other side of the picket line for those who crossed? If the whole system was essentially shut down, I don't understand how there would be work for a driver to take out and deliver.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
What work would there be on the other side of the picket line for those who crossed? If the whole system was essentially shut down, I don't understand how there would be work for a driver to take out and deliver.
Management tried to deliver the scraps left in the building. There was no work to deliver because nothing moved.

Ms.PacMan

Mgmt tried the first day but it was a total cluster. They unloaded the semis and made big piles around the building and attempted to deliver bulk stops/businesses. Customers came to the center throughout the strike, trying in vain to retrieve their packages but it was useless. Most customers left and talked to us on the way out realizing UPS could no longer function.

Supes reported that people on the street were yelling SCAB at them and one lady followed a truck to every stop harassing them! We definitely had public support.