What happens if minimum wage goes up?

Gridly12

I don't really think it should go up. But if minimum wage does go up what happens at ups? Let's take an extreme example. Like in New York it went up to 15$ an hour. Let's go crazy and say tomorrow it goes up to 15$ an hour.....Not hypothetically and in real life I'm indeedon my first year as a loader. I'm making 11$ an hour with my sort test raise.

What happens to the wages now. Do they just bump me up to 15$ an hour and say sweat balls in that truck son even though the Walmart greeter is making more than you.

What happens if it goes up to 9$ an hour which is reasonable I guess... Nothing I'm guessing?

I don't know much about how the wage increases at ups works so I'm just curious. Thanks for your help.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I don't really think it should go up. But if minimum wage does go up what happens at ups? Let's take an extreme example. Like in New York it went up to 15$ an hour. Let's go crazy and say tomorrow it goes up to 15$ an hour.....Not hypothetically and in real life I'm indeedon my first year as a loader. I'm making 11$ an hour with my sort test raise.

What happens to the wages now. Do they just bump me up to 15$ an hour and say sweat balls in that truck son even though the Walmart greeter is making more than you.

What happens if it goes up to 9$ an hour which is reasonable I guess... Nothing I'm guessing?

I don't know much about how the wage increases at ups works so I'm just curious. Thanks for your help.
Why don't you think it should go up?

Do you like having hard working people live in utter poverty because.........why?

J

jibbs

If minimum wage in your area is increased and your current wage is less than whatever the new defined minimum wage is, congratulations, you'll be getting a raise to minimum wage.

If minimum wage is increased and yet, after the increase, you're still making more than minimum wage, congratulations, your next raise will be in August.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

UPS would pay the new state minimum wage. The employee wouldn't get a raise until they eventually received a raise "beyond" $15/hr.

I can tell you right now that UPS absolutely could not staff buildings if the minimum wage went up to $15/hour. The turn over in the south right now (with a $7.25/hr min wage in my state) is obscene even with $10/hr starting. Every sort in my hub is down 30+ people and UPS is to blame. While IBT didn't get much (if anything) for PT'ers during the negotiations for the current NMA, the union did initially propose a starting wage of $15/hr for PT'ers and UPS whittled it down to $10 and still make new hires wait a year for benefits.

The minimum wage needs to be hiked and should be tied to inflation. $15/hr would be a "decent" start but its still not a living wage. Even if Obama's (slap in the face) $10.10/hr proposal goes through, it will completely smash UPS' current staffing model for PT'ers. If I was a high school graduate, why the :censored2: would I bust my nuts loading a truck for minimum wage with an idiot my own age screaming at me for only 3.5 hours of pay a day? I'd rather go flip burgers for 30-35 hours a week and get some free grub in the AC instead.

I'm just waiting for the bottom to completely fall out so year-round double shifts return to my building. If they can't keep bodies in the hub, I'll happily load a truck for $26/hour when I go over 5 hours.

:laughing:

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
UPS would pay the new state minimum wage. The employee wouldn't get a raise until they eventually received a raise "beyond" $15/hr.

I can tell you right now that UPS absolutely could not staff buildings if the minimum wage went up to $15/hour. The turn over in the south right now (with a $7.25/hr min wage in my state) is obscene even with $10/hr starting. Every sort in my hub is down 30+ people and UPS is to blame. While IBT didn't get much (if anything) for PT'ers during the negotiations for the current NMA, the union did initially propose a starting wage of $15/hr for PT'ers and UPS whittled it down to $10 and still make new hires wait a year for benefits.

The minimum wage needs to be hiked and should be tied to inflation. $15/hr would be a "decent" start but its still not a living wage. Even if Obama's (slap in the face) $10.10/hr proposal goes through, it will completely smash UPS' current staffing model for PT'ers. If I was a high school graduate, why the :censored2: would I bust my nuts loading a truck for minimum wage with an idiot my own age screaming at me for only 3.5 hours of pay a day? I'd rather go flip burgers for 30-35 hours a week and get some free grub in the AC instead.

I'm just waiting for the bottom to completely fall out so year-round double shifts return to my building. If they can't keep bodies in the hub, I'll happily load a truck for $26/hour when I go over 5 hours.

I didn't really have a huge problem with $10 an hour starting wage. What I have a problem with is no decent raises during a part timers progression. How about $10 an hour to start and you end progression at $17?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

If you can't live on 15 bucks an hour you need to reevaluate your expenses.
They would still live in poverty because the cost of living would go through the roof.
Don't let the facts get in the way of it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If you can't live on 15 bucks an hour you need to reevaluate your expenses.

Maybe. I think there are a ton of "what-ifs" with that statement. If we're talking about a 40 hour work week, then I'm inclined to agree. That's $600/week (before taxes) which is more than I gross as a senior PT'er at UPS ten out of twelve months a year.

If we're talking about a UPS preloader getting chased off the clock at 3.5 hours/day, then its $262.50 before taxes. That's not even spit in the eye for rent. Also -- keep in mind -- a lot of jobs have been casualized in a similar fashion to UPS PT'ers over the last decade or so. Micro shifts and the like are a lot more common now.

realbrown1

When unskilled labor costs go up you can bet your ass skilled labor costs go up.
We'll then, let's keep them in poverty so so we won't have to deal with inflation.

God only knows that we at UPS are so much better than those lowly minimum wage workers.

I mean, we drive, we work hard and have...........what other skills do we have?

Brownslave688

We'll then, let's keep them in poverty so so we won't have to deal with inflation.

God only knows that we at UPS are so much better than those lowly minimum wage workers.

Judging by 10 of the last 12 off the street hires here lasting about a week. We must have some skills?

The problem is some people will always be in poverty. That's just the way the world works.

realbrown1

Judging by 10 of the last 12 off the street hires here lasting about a week. We must have some skills?

The problem is some people will always be in poverty. That's just the way the world works.
I just don't like to see people belittling another person's hard labor from their pedestal.

And if you devalue 1 hard working persons labor, you can devalue ALL hard working people's labor.

Brownslave688

I just don't like to see people belittling another person's hard labor from their pedestal.

And if you devalue 1 hard working persons labor, you can devalue ALL hard working people's labor.
It's valued at what one values themselves at also.

There's zero chance I would do this job for what FedEx drivers do it for. Which is probably why their turnover is so great also.

realbrown1

It's valued at what one values themselves at also.

There's zero chance I would do this job for what FedEx drivers do it for. Which is probably why their turnover is so great also.
Last I saw, they were demanding more money.

You were the one saying they weren't worth it.

Browndriver5

Driving is a pretty difficult skill. Just think of how many wrecks we avoid by being safe drivers. People see the UPS truck and automatically think ohhh I think I should pull out in front of this guy

Attachments

• 22023_491632177663795_5102876936461664614_n.jpg
    22023_491632177663795_5102876936461664614_n.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 318