What happens if you cannot pass dot physical and your a full time driver.

Brownsfan

I got a diffibulator and causes you to automatically fail the dot. What should happen after I fail it. Will I go back to part time or what? This is a very scary time.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I got a diffibulator and cause you to automatically fail the dot. What should happen after I fail it. Will I go back to part time or what? This is a very scary time.

Check your local rider. Here in the central you are allowed to take 2 part time positions if you have the seniority to bump. You will not get driver wage though. You also have the option of short term disability, sounds like in your case it would be long term disability though. STD is only for 6 months and only pays about $350 a week. Good luck to you and hope you stay well!!

JonFrum

ARTICLE 20. EXAMINATION AND IDENTIFICATION FEES
Section 4. Disqualified Driver - Alternative Work
Except as provided for in Article 16, a driver who is judged medically unqualified to drive, but is considered physically fit and qualified to perform other inside jobs, will be afforded the opportunity to displace the least senior full-time or part-time inside employee at such work until he/she can return to his/her driving job unless otherwise provided for in the Supplements, Riders or Addenda. While performing the inside work, the driver will be paid the highest parttime rate as an employee with equivalent seniority or current area practice. If no full-time inside position is available, the
Employer will meet with the Local Union to develop a full-time position, if possible out of available work.

In addition to those already covered by this section, disqualified drivers who are actively pursuing a waiver or exemption with the DOT may work inside pursuant to this section if there is a reasonable expectation that his or her waiver/exemption will be granted.

Brownsfan

Thanks guys for all the great info. I have a month old baby and I am freaking out as to how I'm going to support my family.

Brownsfan

Can I ask why you're on a defib? I'm guessing you're not that old if you have one month baby.

I am in my late 20s and I was given one because of ventricle tachardyia and atrial flutter. My first and only episode was on route I didn't pass out and drove myself to the hospital. I haven't had one since that day or ever before. But they did a study on my heart and determined that the wiring in my heart had jumped on a short circuit and caused the issues. And they recommend the icd. A choice that I am thrilled I made and Sadend at the same time Cause of the life changing implications of this device.

ol'browneye

I am in my late 20s and I was given one because of ventricle tachardyia and atrial flutter. My first and only episode was on route I didn't pass out and drove myself to the hospital. I haven't had one since that day or ever before. But they did a study on my heart and determined that the wiring in my heart had jumped on a short circuit and caused the issues. And they recommend the icd. A choice that I am thrilled I made and Sadend at the same time Cause of the life changing implications of this device.

My brother had what sounds like the same issues. The doctor described it in terms he could understand since he was in the well-drilling business, "Your plumbing is fine, your pump is fine, your wiring is screwed up!" The doctor went in and cauterized what needed to be fixed and put him on medicine that he has to take for the rest of his life but he still has his CDL. Maybe you should consider this procedure, if it is even an option.

Brownsfan

My brother had what sounds like the same issues. The doctor described it in terms he could understand since he was in the well-drilling business, "Your plumbing is fine, your pump is fine, your wiring is screwed up!" The doctor went in and cauterized what needed to be fixed and put him on medicine that he has to take for the rest of his life but he still has his CDL. Maybe you should consider this procedure, if it is even an option.

That was the plan but when we did the surgery to kill the bad wiring. It was determined that there were a lot of bad wiring and that's how I ended up with this icd. What sucked the most is when we went in for the surgery they said there was a 1% chance I would need one. Oh well

ol'browneye

That was the plan but when we did the surgery to kill the bad wiring. It was determined that there were a lot of bad wiring and that's how I ended up with this icd. What sucked the most is when we went in for the surgery they said there was a 1% chance I would need one. Oh well

Sorry to hear that. Like others have stated, UPS and the union usually work together to find a position for someone medically disqualified from driving. I know of 2 cases here that drivers with brain tumors were disqualified even after successful surgeries but both were given inside full time positions. Good luck to you!

Brownsfan

Sorry to hear that. Like others have stated, UPS and the union usually work together to find a position for someone medically disqualified from driving. I know of 2 cases here that drivers with brain tumors were disqualified even after successful surgeries but both were given inside full time positions. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the info ol.

705red

Browncafe Steward
NEVER EVER lie. Congrats Brother and never let this job stress you! You get paid if you bring the truck back empty or full. Take it one stop at a time!

Dark_Team_135

ARTICLE 20. EXAMINATION AND IDENTIFICATION FEES
Section 4. Disqualified Driver - Alternative Work
Except as provided for in Article 16, a driver who is judged medically unqualified to drive, but is considered physically fit and qualified to perform other inside jobs, will be afforded the opportunity to displace the least senior full-time or part-time inside employee at such work until he/she can return to his/her driving job unless otherwise provided for in the Supplements, Riders or Addenda. While performing the inside work, the driver will be paid the highest part time rate as an employee with equivalent seniority or current area practice. If no full-time inside position is available, the
Employer will meet with the Local Union to develop a full-time position, if possible out of available work.

The bad news about this language is that it is only for TEMPORARY (1 year or less) medical issues, not permanent ones. Those fall under ADA which until recently meant you were out-of-luck unless you had a management team with a heart :wink2:

We have about 10 people in this situation that aren't working at all right now because the company gave them the 100% released or you can't work here speech...The new ADA rules recently passed seem to have softened them up a little and they try to find at least a few of them some other position...

JonFrum

The bad news about this language is that it is only for TEMPORARY (1 year or less) medical issues, not permanent ones. Those fall under ADA which until recently meant you were out-of-luck unless you had a management team with a heart :wink2:

We have about 10 people in this situation that aren't working at all right now because the company gave them the 100% released or you can't work here speech...The new ADA rules recently passed seem to have softened them up a little and they try to find at least a few of them some other position...
You're thinking of Article 16. The language I quoted is Article 20, which explicitly excludes Article 16 situations. There is no One-Year-Or-Less restriction.