What has brown done to me?!

arice11

My experience at UPS has been 3 years of preload which includes over 70lbs duty at 3:15 then normal start time for the building at 4 by then I've moved all the irregs to their belts and set up the unload for the day.
I spend the next two hours either loading bulk stops, scanning labels, unloading trailers, sorting or further irreg duty.
After break I'm sent to scan-check the packages in the trucks. I scan a good 1500 max before 8:30 rolls around and some supervisor dismisses me.
I use to lead the safety meetings and did some of that jive. But the building supervisor had me train a replacement who took over for me loading the bulk and mall trucks. Now I'm frittering away in the preload desperate to become a driver.
I see coworkers who started in preload becoming cover drivers, they return to unload when they aren't needed...is that my fate?
I need to know how I can manage to move into a better full time position. My supervisors recognize my work and they trust me to do the dirty jobs at times.
I don't really know if I want to stay in a place that says they'll make a driver of me, but only proceed to tie me down to the warehouse for a long and sleep deprived career as a preloader.
Anyone else know this experience?

My experience at UPS has been 3 years of preload which includes over 70lbs duty at 3:15 then normal start time for the building at 4 by then I've moved all the irregs to their belts and set up the unload for the day.
I spend the next two hours either loading bulk stops, scanning labels, unloading trailers, sorting or further irreg duty.
After break I'm sent to scan-check the packages in the trucks. I scan a good 1500 max before 8:30 rolls around and some supervisor dismisses me.
I use to lead the safety meetings and did some of that jive. But the building supervisor had me train a replacement who took over for me loading the bulk and mall trucks. Now I'm frittering away in the preload desperate to become a driver.
I see coworkers who started in preload becoming cover drivers, they return to unload when they aren't needed...is that my fate?
I need to know how I can manage to move into a better full time position. My supervisors recognize my work and they trust me to do the dirty jobs at times.
I don't really know if I want to stay in a place that says they'll make a driver of me, but only proceed to tie me down to the warehouse for a long and sleep deprived career as a preloader.
No.

HardknocksUPSer

Pretty sure that's called waiting your turn.

Three years of working the preload is nothing. Try to get in on some air driving. Either Saturday or air exception during the week. Or find a second FT or PT job and wait your turn.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its called the waiting game and everything is based off seniority and at this job SENIORITY IS KING. We've all been through it, that's how the game is played. Not a good job to have if someone doesn't have patience or mental toughness.

arice11

I know its just paying my dues and waiting my turn.
I'm just curious if the rewards are worth said wait. I keep getting these minor injuries from small accidents or blunders at work. After a decade of that...would I even want to become a driver?
I am of the opinion it is worth every bruise and scar and head injury...but the long run prospect could be risky...its all I'm saying

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I know its just paying my dues and waiting my turn.
I'm just curious if the rewards are worth said wait. I keep getting these minor injuries from small accidents or blunders at work. After a decade of that...would I even want to become a driver?
I am of the opinion it is worth every bruise and scar and head injury...but the long run prospect could be risky...its all I'm saying
Do you want to have a job making 90 to over 100k a year? If your answer is yes then youll stay here, your question answered right there lol.

arice11

I want 90-100k a year. But I don't want to blow my mind and body struggling season after season to get somewhere that operates on a bully-senority system.