What If You Don't Really Own Your Car And Never Can?

wkmac

Another reason to stay with analog technology.

It’s official: John Deere and General Motors want to eviscerate the notion of ownership. Sure, we pay for their vehicles. But we don’t own them. Not according to their corporate lawyers, anyway.

In a particularly spectacular display of corporate delusion, John Deere—the world’s largest agricultural machinery maker —told the Copyright Office that farmers don’t own their tractors. Because computer code snakes through the DNA of modern tractors, farmers receive “an implied license for the life of the vehicle to operate the vehicle.”

We Can’t Let John Deere Destroy the Very Idea of Ownership

Babagounj

Strength through joy
So if my John Deere tractor does something morally wrong , can I use the defense that "it has a mind of it's own " and since I don't really own it make The John Deere Co. pay for any damages ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't own the house you live in or the property it is on.

Stop paying the property taxes and see what happens.......

You do own the house and the property that it sits on.

Would you prefer the government force you to liquidate your assets to the point where the delinquent tax bill, along with any fees and interest, has been paid off?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You do own the house and the property that it sits on.

Would you prefer the government force you to liquidate your assets to the point where the delinquent tax bill, along with any fees and interest, has been paid off?
Actually , the gov't owns the land and they are just letting you rent it .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal

One of the inherent rights of owning a vehicle is the ability to get on one’s backside — a wrench in one hand and a grease rag in the other, and just tinker to your little heart’s desire. Since the vehicle was invented, it’s been an important facet within the community of gearheads.
General Motors — the same company responsible for 87 deaths related to faulty ignition switches, FYI — wants to take that right away from you citing safety and security issues. Along with a few other big names.
It’s called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). It’s been around since 2000 and started as anti-Internet piracy legislation. But automakers want to use it to try and make working on your own car illegal .
Yes, illegal. The general premise is that unlike cars of the past, today’s vehicles are so advanced and use such a large amount of software and coding in their general makeup, altering said code could be dangerous and possibly even malicious.
As it currently sits, there are 13 (!) large automakers on the list supporting the DMCA. Want to know who they are? Of course you do:

General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volkswagen Group of America
Volvo Cars North America

Babagounj

Strength through joy
This is more than just voiding the warranty .
They could delete your car's software leaving you with a rather large paperweight .

upschuck

I have changed out alternators, water pumps, changed belts and hoses, thermostat(old model vehicle), all rather easy and saved me $100's each time. Plus it gives me the satisfaction of doing it. Some people like doing it, some don't, it should be the owners choice.