What if you haven't made your 40 days but have 9 paychecks. Can you still join the..

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Union. Thanks everybody for answering my last question. I really appreciated it. Does UPS track your working days and see if you haven't made your 40 working days and forbid you from joining the union. I really want to join the union, thinks are really horrible at my hub. Supervisors are working consistently and sending new pters home really early everyday and no one is even doing anything about it, none, not even the steward or the members that have been there for a lot of years. Or are managements permitted to work in local 804? I average 2 and a half hours everyday and I always leave with a lot of unfinished work remaining that falls under my position description. I've been reading the contract a lot, and it says supervisors aren't permitted to do bargaining work - which is my kind of work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: What if you haven't made your 40 days but have 9 paychecks. Can you still join th

So you think after 40 days you are going to come in and go all Norma Rae on their butts?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Re: What if you haven't made your 40 days but have 9 paychecks. Can you still join th

So you think after 40 days you are going to come in and go all Norma Rae on their butts?
Lol nice!! And no, management in 804 is not allowed to touch packages unless severely understaffed. That being said...kindly STFU. You've been working there ten minutes. You're the hoss, they're the boss. If you're not happy with the way things are, then find the door and keep walking. I would LOVE it if just once, when I walk into work, the sup tells me, hey we don't need you, wanna go home? It never happens.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Union. Thanks everybody for answering my last question. I really appreciated it. Does UPS track your working days and see if you haven't made your 40 working days and forbid you from joining the union. I really want to join the union, thinks are really horrible at my hub. Supervisors are working consistently and sending new pters home really early everyday and no one is even doing anything about it, none, not even the steward or the members that have been there for a lot of years. Or are managements permitted to work in local 804? I average 2 and a half hours everyday and I always leave with a lot of unfinished work remaining that falls under my position description. I've been reading the contract a lot, and it says supervisors aren't permitted to do bargaining work - which is my kind of work.

Until your 40 days are up you are pretty much their :censored2:!!!

They can tell u on day 39 that your not needed anymore. Sorry shut up
And suck it up for a few months.

ibleedbrown

you might want to double check this out with your union steward but if i understand it correctly, once you make your 40 days you can demand 3 and a half hours and if they refuse to give it to you they have to have proof that there is no work left and then they have to pay you half the time left til your 3 and a half. so if you work 2 and a half hours and they say there is no work left they have to pay you another half hour even if you go home. if they send you home without proof that there is absolutely no work available for you to do you can file a grievance.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Wow. This company really sucks. I didn't sign up for this. The HR guy told me that I'd be getting 4-5 hours minimum everyday. I don't even know if I want to make union anymore since they seem incompetent and dues grabbing culprits, much less be here anymore. I have work in one and a half hours. I think I'm going to walk out on my break and never return back. Anyway, thanks everybody. This job is really for uneducated bums who cannot do any better, good thing I'm in college. Ceeya!

Wow. This company really sucks. I didn't sign up for this. The HR guy told me that I'd be getting 4-5 hours minimum everyday. I don't even know if I want to make union anymore since they seem incompetent and dues grabbing culprits, much less be here anymore. I have work in one and a half hours. I think I'm going to walk out on my break and never return back. Anyway, thanks everybody. This job is really for uneducated bums who cannot do any better, good thing I'm in college. Ceeya!
IS that why you cant hack it? College boy!!!!

UPSGUY72

you might want to double check this out with your union steward but if i understand it correctly, once you make your 40 days you can demand 3 and a half hours and if they refuse to give it to you they have to have proof that there is no work left and then they have to pay you half the time left til your 3 and a half. so if you work 2 and a half hours and they say there is no work left they have to pay you another half hour even if you go home. if they send you home without proof that there is absolutely no work available for you to do you can file a grievance.

You have to request your 3 1/2 hours in order to get paid for it. If you say we don't need you anymore and you punch out and go home with out requesting your 3 1/2 you volunteered to go home early you don't get your guaranteed 3 1/2.

Just remember since he is the low guy on the pole they can also just lay him off. I'm not say he doesn't have a right to his 3 1/2 but he also need to understand that rocking to boat could just make them lay him off a week her and a week there.

UPSGUY72

Until you make you 40 days keep your mouth shut and mind your own business and due what your told that if you want a job after your 40 days are up. Also show up to work on time and everyday sick or not...

UPSGUY72

Speak for yourself. I have a education a BS degree in Human factors From Emrby Riddle, I'm also a former Army Attack Helicopter Pilot. I make more money Driving the brown truck that I would in my field of study.

You would be surprised at how many UPS hourly employees are smarter than the rock you crawled out from under....

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

if you had any balls or brains, you could at least quit the job like an adult, instead of slinking out the door. Either way, you won't be missed.

ups hero

I went to college. I prefer staying with ups. They pay me more than the career I would have taken. Even being part time!! If you plan on leaving after break, what's the point of even going in?? I hope all your loans get paid off with your big future career.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

if you had any balls or brains, you could at least quit the job like an adult, instead of slinking out the door. Either way, you won't be missed.
Oh, yes I will surely be missed. I'm doing the work of 3 persons at my hub. You know what's my nickname at work? SUPERMAN. Seriously! They need me more than I need them. Not to sound arrogant, but its the damn cold truth. I can walk out of the door tomorrow and get a higher paying wage job or the same wage as I'm getting at UPS while doing less than half the work I'm doing at UPS. The only reason why I applied at UPS is because of the tuition reimbursement which was a scam. Now they are saying its for preloaders only. Why I'm still here? Because my hub is very close to a college and I get a lot of girl's phone number just by working here :). They don't know how crappy UPS is LOL. Ceeya.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Lol nice!! And no, management in 804 is not allowed to touch packages unless severely understaffed. That being said...kindly STFU. You've been working there ten minutes. You're the hoss, they're the boss. If you're not happy with the way things are, then find the door and keep walking. I would LOVE it if just once, when I walk into work, the sup tells me, hey we don't need you, wanna go home? It never happens.
Hey wassup man. I see that you're from long island. Are you from the garden city hub on oak street? Might be transferring there soon. :)

Nimnim

The Nim

Just going off the thread title, how does someone have 9 paychecks, which is 45 working days, and not worked 40 days to gain seniority? Even if sent home early a report is a report, I seriously find it hard to believe any new hire is told more than 5 times in 9 weeks not to show up to work the next day.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Just going off the thread title, how does someone have 9 paychecks, which is 45 working days, and not worked 40 days to gain seniority? Even if sent home early a report is a report, I seriously find it hard to believe any new hire is told more than 5 times in 9 weeks not to show up to work the next day.
The first paycheck could have less than 5 days worked on it (like if you started on a Wednesday). In that case, if you were subsequently laid off for any threevdays during the next nine weeks, you could have nine checks but not have 40 days.

In case there any new people on this thread who sincerely have this question, you don't have to "rock the boat" or go "all Norma Rae": just ask, or rather let them know you'd really like to stay. You can be assertive without appearing aggressive or demanding.

UPSGUY72

In case there any new people on this thread who sincerely have this question, you don't have to "rock the boat" or go "all Norma Rae": just ask, or rather let them know you'd really like to stay. You can be assertive without appearing aggressive or demanding.

What fun would that be ? :overreactsmiley:

Nimnim

The Nim

The first paycheck could have less than 5 days worked on it (like if you started on a Wednesday). In that case, if you were subsequently laid off for any threevdays during the next nine weeks, you could have nine checks but not have 40 days.

I just don't see it happening that a new hire is asked to not come in the next day often enough for this to be an issue, but I do agree with you that you don't have to rock the boat, and it's not unreasonable for someone who reports to work and is told they're not needed, which depending on how the reports are counted may still count towards your seniority, requests to work to at least make the trip worthwhile. for some people they may drive 50 miles or more to get to work and to be refused really sucks so even just getting a couple hours may at least cover gas, and has the second point of ensuring time towards the "40 days."

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Hey wassup man. I see that you're from long island. Are you from the garden city hub on oak street? Might be transferring there soon. :)
No I don't work in garden city. To be honest, I thought the only nassau hub was in Uniondale (where I also don't work) lol.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

The first paycheck could have less than 5 days worked on it (like if you started on a Wednesday). In that case, if you were subsequently laid off for any threevdays during the next nine weeks, you could have nine checks but not have 40 days. In case there any new people on this thread who sincerely have this question, you don't have to "rock the boat" or go "all Norma Rae": just ask, or rather let them know you'd really like to stay. You can be assertive without appearing aggressive or demanding.
Looks like someone's a genius :). Not being sarcastic. I started on a Friday.