What is an alternate?

Louis

I recently went through processing and was told that I was not hired yet, although I have submitted all required tax, bank routing number and personal info paperwork online already. Last night I was called by HR to come in as an alternate this coming Monday and be ready to work if the other person doesn't show up on time or at all. The question I have is, if I was considered as an alternate, does it mean that they are interested in hiring me? The HR person informed me at processing that you are only called once as an alternate, so I'm unsure whether this means I would only get one shot or that I am in line towards being hired?

UPSGUY72

It appears you are second in line. Meaning that if the other guys doesn't show up you get the job. If he shows up you either have to re apply or wait till there is an opening. I would ask the HR person about that if he shows up. Don't worry if he shows up just re apply. I didn't get hired on my first try.

Louis

Thanks for the reply. It just wasn't clear to me after going through Processing. I worked for UPS back in 1997 - 1999 as an auditor for oversize packages and left UPS on good terms, as I moved out of state. I'm hoping I can land this Loader/Unloader job. I also worry that I am too overqualified, as I have a Bachelor of Information Technology Degree and an Associate of Applied Science Degree.

UPSGUY72

Thanks for the reply. It just wasn't clear to me after going through Processing. I worked for UPS back in 1997 - 1999 as an auditor for oversize packages and left UPS on good terms, as I moved out of state. I'm hoping I can land this Loader/Unloader job. I also worry that I am too overqualified, as I have a Bachelor of Information Technology Degree and an Associate of Applied Science Degree.

They don't care about your education as a hourly employee. I have a BS degree and have a commercial pilot licence.

Louis

Well I showed up on time, on Monday May 2nd and the confirmed people were there, so the trainer informed me and the other alternate to report back next Monday at the same time. I called the HR person that contacted me as an alternate and she told me that when I report next Monday I should be confirmed to start, so I have my fingers crossed I'll be confirmed and training.