What is waiting period after being DQ'd

spicster

What is the waiting period after being disqualified after the 2nd try as a package driver according to current union rules? Anyone know?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rather than try to reduce his waiting period why don't you focus on getting the next person in line ready for his opportunity? This guys has had 2 tries. It's time for the next person in line.

Shady Tree at UPS

I agree...resolution he should try getting inside friend/t work if he is in a position to win a bid. If not then i think he is screwed until a position becomes availabe. One DQ is understandable but two mabye its time to hang the brown suit up.

P.S. im curious of how you DQ'd 1st and 2nd time?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
What is the waiting period after being disqualified after the 2nd try as a package driver according to current union rules? Anyone know?
In metro Chicago (Local 705) you only get one chance (DQ) to make your 40 days "during the life of the Agreement" (Article 22 section 6). So someone here could have been DQed in september 2002 and still not be eligible to try again, as we have yet to vote/ratify a new contract.

Bloodybrown

In metro Chicago (Local 705) you only get one chance (DQ) to make your 40 days "during the life of the Agreement" (Article 22 section 6). So someone here could have been DQed in september 2002 and still not be eligible to try again, as we have yet to vote/ratify a new contract.

Maybe we should ask Red why a person has to wait the entire life of a contract before being able to try again to become a driver!!....Is this part of the great contract that Red and 705 got for its members???....Red help us understand why in other locals they don't have to wait 5 years for a 2nd try but in local 705 you do???.........I thought you claimed to have gotten so much in this negotiations from UPS.......this sounds bad!!....if its not like that let us know!!!

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
This was language from our 02-08 agreement and is in the TA. Actually I should be referring to (705's) Art 45 sec 3 "Any employee promoted to a higher rated job shall be given a fair trial for a period not to exceed forty (40) days, at the rate of the higher job. If at the end of the trial period, it is determined that the employee is not qualified or adapted to the new position he/she shall return to the old position, at the same rate of pay which was formerly paid for the old position. The employee will be afforded this opportunity once during the life of the 2008-2013 Agreement." The "1 chance during the life of the agreement" was struck out in 705's opening proposal, and I had hoped a more reasonable time period could be agreed to. Don't know if any discussions were had (sounded like UPS did nothing but slide pieces of paper across the table), but I'm sure 705 didn't want to lose the protection for, say, a PC driver who was DQed from feeder and could go back to his/her bid route. Technically even with no change it is an improvement because this would only be a 5 year agreement vs 6 years. (And the shalls were already in there)

Bloodybrown

This was language from our 02-08 agreement and is in the TA. Actually I should be referring to (705's) Art 45 sec 3 "Any employee promoted to a higher rated job shall be given a fair trial for a period not to exceed forty (40) days, at the rate of the higher job. If at the end of the trial period, it is determined that the employee is not qualified or adapted to the new position he/she shall return to the old position, at the same rate of pay which was formerly paid for the old position. The employee will be afforded this opportunity once during the life of the 2008-2013 Agreement." The "1 chance during the life of the agreement" was struck out in 705's opening proposal, and I had hoped a more reasonable time period could be agreed to. Don't know if any discussions were had (sounded like UPS did nothing but slide pieces of paper across the table), but I'm sure 705 didn't want to lose the protection for, say, a PC driver who was DQed from feeder and could go back to his/her bid route. Technically even with no change it is an improvement because this would only be a 5 year agreement vs 6 years. (And the shalls were already in there)

You may say its an improvement but compared to most of the country its as bad as it gets......compare that language to other supplements. I doubt if there is a 5 or 6 year waiting period anywhere else. I could be wrong but I know of several locals where the wait is a year or less.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
You may say its an improvement but compared to most of the country its as bad as it gets......compare that language to other supplements. I doubt if there is a 5 or 6 year waiting period anywhere else. I could be wrong but I know of several locals where the wait is a year or less.
The improvement comment was meant to be taken as mild sarcasm. But I did miss something, the word fair is missing from the TA, as was proposed by UPS on july 9 on paper. I now feel I must vote no (more sarcasm). Seriously, I believe good faith bargaining (as opposed to pushing incomplete proposals across the table) would have addressed this. But I accept that no contract is going to make every one happy, and there's always 2013.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Maybe we should ask Red why a person has to wait the entire life of a contract before being able to try again to become a driver!!....Is this part of the great contract that Red and 705 got for its members???....Red help us understand why in other locals they don't have to wait 5 years for a 2nd try but in local 705 you do???.........I thought you claimed to have gotten so much in this negotiations from UPS.......this sounds bad!!....if its not like that let us know!!!
Bloody you someday might be able to put a good spin on things but right now you are out of your league. This is current contract language and was not changed. However we have gotten many people back driving after a year. Now if you would have attended any labor class you would understand that if the language is not changed in a contract you will work under the same intent behind it.

Now i have never said that our contract is better than everyone elses. I have said that we got a better contract than what the national received.
To come to this conclusion you will have to compare what you had going into these talks and what you walked out with. Now take sometime and research info before you post ridiculous assumptions, it only goes to your credibilty.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hondo great job keeping up on the contract and noticing the word fair. Im glad to see that we have ptimers that do care.

Bloodybrown

Bloody you someday might be able to put a good spin on things but right now you are out of your league.
Your in the minor leagues my friend, I am in the majors, your a wanna be!
This is current contract language and was not changed. However we have gotten many people back driving after a year. Now if you would have attended any labor class you would understand that if the language is not changed in a contract you will work under the same intent behind it.
Hey dumb dumb, I attend many labor panels, you probably are driving through most of them. When your leadership lets you attend you sit behind them like a little mouse. It was your 705 guy hondo that stated it was the life of the contract.
Now i have never said that our contract is better than everyone elses. I have said that we got a better contract than what the national received.
not when you add the language it the supplements and ryders negotiated with the locals.
To come to this conclusion you will have to compare what you had going into these talks and what you walked out with. Now take sometime and research info before you post ridiculous assumptions, it only goes to your credibilty.
I never said I was an expert on your contract but from what I read you really are not getting a cut above the rest but want everyone one here to think you are.

Where is your credibility, when at 11:00 pm the world was coming to an end and a strike was surely going to happen.......and what 7 hours later there's a handshake agreement!!......and I hit it right on the head when I stated you and your other wanna be's were dismissed and the big boys hammered it out on an all nighter...........Yeah you have credibilty !!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Originally Posted by 705red
Bloody you someday might be able to put a good spin on things but right now you are out of your league.
This is current contract language and was not changed. However we have gotten many people back driving after a year. Now if you would have attended any labor class you would understand that if the language is not changed in a contract you will work under the same intent behind it.
Hey dumb dumb, I attend many labor panels, you probably are driving through most of them. When your leadership lets you attend you sit behind them like a little mouse. It was your 705 guy hondo that stated it was the life of the contract.
not when you add the language it the supplements and ryders negotiated with the locals.

I never said I was an expert on your contract but from what I read you really are not getting a cut above the rest but want everyone one here to think you are.

Where is your credibility, when at 11:00 pm the world was coming to an end and a strike was surely going to happen.......and what 7 hours later there's a handshake agreement!!......and I hit it right on the head when I stated you and your other wanna be's were dismissed and the big boys hammered it out on an all nighter...........Yeah you have credibilty !!!

Like i have said i am a package car driver and at 11pm we had walked out only to have ups call back asking to work through the night. By your own quote you have said that i wasnt there and i agree. So how is my credibility shot?

If your in the majors its time for a spell on the disabled list because your getting hit hard and obviously dont have any gas left.

Bloodybrown

Originally Posted by 705red

Like i have said i am a package car driver and at 11pm we had walked out only to have ups call back asking to work through the night. By your own quote you have said that i wasnt there and i agree. So how is my credibility shot?

If your in the majors its time for a spell on the disabled list because your getting hit hard and obviously dont have any gas left.

I have plenty left in my tank......your the one that keeps striking out.....you are going from single A ball to the bush leagues. I will be in the majors until I retire, that will be long before you youngster!!....I got to go to work...have fun this week!!

UPSGUY72

Hey I think you have to first look at why you got DQ'D!!!! Was it for the same thing both times or something different. If you have trouble driving the package car or can't remember the safety dribble then move on and let someone else try. If it was becasue of something else then you weren't busting you ass for the first 30 days which means your not cut out for the job.