What is your guess for MIP?

sosocal

Just looking at the increase in earnings and EPS - and based on last year's factor at 2.4 = My guess for this years is 2.95,

bones

This year MIP with be expressed as % base salary, 17% is equivalent of 2.0. I believe this will be a very good year because of the changes to the program (moving it back 3 months being the big one). Whenever UPS has changed anything concerning management compensation and benifits it is always good at first, it is a few years later you realize how bad it was for you. With this said I believe it will be around 22% for 1 unit 44% for 2 unit.

Fenris

This year MIP with be expressed as % base salary, 17% is equivalent of 2.0. I believe this will be a very good year because of the changes to the program (moving it back 3 months being the big one). Whenever UPS has changed anything concerning management compensation and benifits it is always good at first, it is a few years later you realize how bad it was for you. With this said I believe it will be around 22% for 1 unit 44% for 2 unit.

I am told they are going to express it as a a percentage of the base though, so if they announce 110%, for example, it would be 18.7% of salary for 1 unit and 37.4% for two units.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think you misunderstood the question--the OP was not asking for the probability that you would give an intelligent answer on this (or any) topic.
People who feel the need to belittle others just to make themselves feel better expose an obvious flaw in their character. It shows what a truly small person you are.
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.Mark Twain
US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

"When men are full of envy, they disparage everything, whether it be good or bad"
Publius Cornelius Tacitus quotes

The belittling act is purposeful and a hurtful act toward others.

People who belittle others are only belittling themselves - Psychology - Helium

Last edited:

sosocal

24 percent increase in earnings over the last MIP window period - I don't see why 24 percent of an MIP increase should not be expected (2.4 X 1.24 = 2.97)...why would they sell the partnership out after such strong dedication and performance?...Give the company some credit.

bones

24 percent increase in earnings over the last MIP window period - I don't see why 24 percent of an MIP increase should not be expected (2.4 X 1.24 = 2.97)...why would they sell the partnership out after such strong dedication and performance?...Give the company some credit.

Wish I could but you are pointing out the exact reason why MIP was changed from 15% of profits to the current metrix, board did not want to share that much of the profits, though I beleive this year will be a very good year because they want to make the changes look good.

Black_6_Leader

You use an antiquated term to refer to the management employees of UPS as “Partners”. The partnership (as it was) has been dead for quite some time; I believe that most would agree that its funeral was on 11/10/1999 (the day UPS went public), which was (I believe) was also the date when MIP was also uncoupled from profits; and the amazing surge in the compensation at the C-level (CEO, COO CFO) began.

Now as to MIP, there are I believe six elements today that are looked at for MIP in 2011, not just profitability:

Balanced volume growth
Growth in revenue per piece
Growth in consolidated revenue
Growth in consolidated adjusted earnings per share (EPS)
Positive operating leverage
End-to-end service

And of course, the goals for each measure are set by the “compensation committee”.

Now at the end of the last quarter, I believe that three elements were at or above goal / target; and three elements were below goal / target; or 50% effective.

So, if the results trend held (only 50% to plan) ~ you would have a .5 month (for a one unit supervisor) and 1.0 month (for a two unit manager) since you are 50% to plan. To pay anything else implies that the measure is subjective.

Black_6_Leader

I think the MIP "number" will be what ever the "Compensation Committee" of the UPS Board of Directors needs the number to be (based on wthie stated objective to increase the compensation at the "C level". I don't think anyone could make a rational case for the current MIP elements to be anything but 100% subjective.

Goal-setting ideally involves establishing specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-targeted objectives. In my opinion, for the individual management employee, all of the 2011 MIP elements fail this test.

Hawk780

No One in Particular
Good, interesting conversations on this (Q42011, where did you go? Think about it). Waiting to hear from Pretzelman on his prediction/insight, he always seems to get the scoop early...Pretzelman, you out there????

Black_6_Leader

I rest my case.

UPS just announced a change to the accounting method for the Managementt pension plan that will adjusted the earnings per share down by $0.41 for the year. With that "gift", you just missed the "Growth in consolidated adjusted earnings per share (EPS)" element. for the year.