What is your opinion of not having 3 point seat belts

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hoaxter,

The issue has been addressed in Article 18 Section 18 of the Master.

Section18. Vehicle and Personal Safety Equipment
All automotive vehicles shall be equipped with a manufacturer certified seat belt restraint system. Jump seats shall be equipped with a safety belt. Three-point shoulder harness safety belts shall be provided on the driver’s side of all new vehicles, and on the jump seat for all new P-32 through P-120 vehicles and all new 24-foot vans. It shall be required that the driver’s seat belt and the jumpseat safety belt be worn at all times when the vehicle is moving.

This language raises more questions than answers in my mind.

Sincerely,
I

The simple answer is that the older equipment is grandfathered in. The lap belts that were installed in the older (pre-1995) cars met the bare minimum legal requirements that were in place at the time they were built. Superior systems were availlable as an option, but UPS made a business decision that the life of the driver was not worth the additional (approximately $40) expense. It would be illegal to install a lap belt on any new vehicle today.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The simple answer is that the older equipment is grandfathered in. The lap belts that were installed in the older (pre-1995) cars met the bare minimum legal requirements that were in place at the time they were built. Superior systems were availlable as an option, but UPS made a business decision that the life of the driver was not worth the additional (approximately $40) expense. It would be illegal to install a lap belt on any new vehicle today.
soberups,

I understand the desire to have older equipment "grandfathered in". It is a clear profit above principle move by many large corporations.

Grandfathering inferior safety equipment in is not always that easy.

I wonder how agressively this was challenged by the Union Officials.

I would be interested to see the written manufacturer certification on the lap belts.

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
Cars built before 1962 didn't necessarily have seat belts installed. If you had one of these vehicles, you had to have it retrofitted before you had them inspected, again. UPS should be subject to something similar. UPS is the one spouting safety. UPS shouldn't have to be prompted to make sure the top asset is safe.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Cars built before 1962 didn't necessarily have seat belts installed. If you had one of these vehicles, you had to have it retrofitted before you had them inspected, again. UPS should be subject to something similar. UPS is the one spouting safety. UPS shouldn't have to be prompted to make sure the top asset is safe.
menotyou,

Simple statement yet profoundly true.

Sincerely,
I

iowa boy

And where did you get that crazy notion that drivers are the top asset to the company? :happy-very:

In my eyes, we are considered the biggest liability to the company.:dissapointed:

Integrity

Binge Poster
And where did you get that crazy notion that drivers are the top asset to the company? :happy-very:

In my eyes, we are considered the biggest liability to the company.:dissapointed:
iowa boy,

Happy New Year!

Let's make this year a year of turn around for your job.

All due respect but considering that the employees are the biggest liability to the company is the craziest attitude to infiltrate the local culture at the company.

This goes against what this company is about.

The policy book is clear about the valuable resource that the employees are to the company.

Local management most often are the ones to violate Corporate Policies that create the disconnect between what the culture should be like as per the policy and what the culture is like due to their fear, resentment, cowardice and habits.

You can help if you are unhappy with the culture and the behavior in your area.

The local management need to have the whistle blown for them because they are too afraid to blow the whistle on themselves.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
iowa boy,

Happy New Year!

Let's make this year a year of turn around for your job.

All due respect but considering that the employees are the biggest liability to the company is the craziest attitude to infiltrate the local culture at the company.

This goes against what this company is about.

The policy book is clear about the valuable resource that the employees are to the company.

Local management most often are the ones to violate Corporate Policies that create the disconnect between what the culture should be like as per the policy and what the culture is like due to their fear, resentment, cowardice and habits.

You can help if you are unhappy with the culture and the behavior in your area.

The local management need to have the whistle blown for them because they are too afraid to blow the whistle on themselves.

Sincerely,
I

The Policy Book states that "our people are the most important asset to the company".

Center management people are treated in a certain way.

Hourly employee people are treated in a certain way.

The second certain way is a reflection of the first certain way.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The Policy Book states that "our people are the most important asset to the company".

Using that analogy, if I have a bad day at work I can kick Tim? Why am I liking this?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Using that analogy, if I have a bad day at work I can kick Tim? Why am I liking this?

Tim your dog or husband/boyfriend?

If husband/boyfriend, then it is ok.

PS - That is what Brown Cafe is for - to vent and emotionally lash out. It is much easier life for the dogs and significant others of UPS employees.

brownelf

They refurbished my old 10 cube last year, put telematics in along with a new paint and a high back seat, but it still has a lap belt. Was told by the mechanic who worked on it that it was not cost effective to convert it to a 3pt according to his boss, so it wasn't done. I'm a dead man if it rolls over, but at least they'll know where to send the coroner's van with telematics installed.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Tim your dog or husband/boyfriend?

If husband/boyfriend, then it is ok.

PS - That is what Brown Cafe is for - to vent and emotionally lash out. It is much easier life for the dogs and significant others of UPS employees.
The male I live with, is how I will phrase that one. My dogs are too precious to ever vent on. Tim? Well, let's just say he would have been a great DM.

iowa boy

This is probably the nicest choice of words that I have seen with regards to this particular analogy.

You have hit that perverbial 'nail on the head' with that reply Hoax!!

:winnersmiley::bow:

Integrity

Binge Poster

Hoaxster,

Happy New Year to You. May you and your family be blessed this year.

You are so right about this statement.

One of my favorite lines in a movie is " attitude is a reflection of leadership".

This comes at a pivotal time in the change of the attitude in the movie.

Movie name anyone?

This is exactly my point.

High level local management need to be the ones to lead the way in changing the cultural disconnect between the policy and practice.

They need to to be the ones to blow the whistle on the the ones between them and the big boys except they are afraid.

Low level management need to blow the whistle on these high level local management who are too afraid to stand up for what's right and are just co-signing and covering up the phoney baloney practices and violations of clear Codes of Conduct and Policy.

Sincerely,
I

NYdriver

They have no time to install a 3 pt harness...they were too busy with the more important things...like installing telematics :rolleyes2:

Inthegame

soberups,

I understand the desire to have older equipment "grandfathered in". It is a clear profit above principle move by many large corporations.

Grandfathering inferior safety equipment in is not always that easy.

I wonder how agressively this was challenged by the Union Officials.

I would be interested to see the written manufacturer certification on the lap belts.

Sincerely,
I
Can't speak to the seat belt issue (which means Upstate will criticize what I write) but our local is aggressively pursuing a grievance regarding high back seats in Feeder equipment. We have had several rear end collisions with feeder drivers receiving neck injuries that most likely could have been avoided(where have I heard that before?) with a simple upgrade in seats. Automobiles since the seventies are required to have head/neck protection systems yet trucks have been exempt. UPS Feeder tractors continue to use a substandard seat without a high back neck restraint system. Fortunately new Feeder tractors are being ordered with high backs so our grievance has been somewhat muted, however it is our hope retrofitted seats will be of a safer quality offering this inexpensive protection. This will be heard at the next National panel at substantial cost to our local but our leaders feel this is a necessary expense for the safety of all UPS drivers nationwide. The real surprize is the resistance from UPS on this basic safety issue.
Wonder how the RTW's figure we could fight this case without the support of our dues paying members?

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
To see the the manufacture certification on seat belts. All you have to do is pull the seat belt fully out and you will see a white tag sown on the belt material. This is required by federal law on all seat belts installed in any motor vehicle sold in the U.S .