What is your start time on Monday

Omega man

OK, you want value, here goes:

A specific start time is not specified in the contract nor in any of the supplements. The only contractual reference to a start time is the article which states that UPS must provide a 72 hour notice of a start time (except for emergency operations) change. If the center manager states that this is the start time but also says that he will let the drivers that are present start early if the preload is wrapped, it is up to each driver to make their own choice as to whether they want to come in and gamble that the preload will be wrapped or whether to come in at the regular start time. I choose to come in early with the hope of getting on road early so that I can take advantage of the available daylight. If I come in early and the preload is not wrapped I guess I will sit and wait. I would guess that you would choose to come in at your regular start time, which is your choice.

I hope that was of sufficient value for you but couldn't care less if it isn't.

Your Local has multiple supplements? If you have no consistent weekly posted start time and management can change it with 72 hour notice than your start time must be what it has been changed to at least 72 hours previous. You and your manager are changing it the last minute on the spot. It sounds like as usual you are disregarding your contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your Local has multiple supplements? If you have no consistent weekly posted start time and management can change it with 72 hour notice than your start time must be what it has been changed to at least 72 hours previous. You and your manager are changing it the last minute on the spot. It sounds like as usual you are disregarding your contract.

Did you fail reading in primer school? There is no specified start time in either the NMA or our supplement. We do have an established start time set by the center manager. The center manager has also told us several times during Peak that if the preload is wrapped he would let us start early. It is your choice as to whether you want to start early or start at the established start time. I choose to start early if I can--this does not mean that I will punch out any earlier as I have a drop box with an 1800 pickup time.

Based on a number of posts in this thread there are other center manager's doing the same in their centers.

paidover95

Just go in at your regular start time.Then you dont have to worry if they are wrapped or not.Its peak,who cares if you work till 815pm or later.

outta hours

Should be VERY heavy tomorrow. Just got home and I've never seen so many trailers on our yard. Good luck to all pkg. drivers tomorrow. Be safe.

Omega man

Did you fail reading in primer school? There is no specified start time in either the NMA or our supplement. We do have an established start time set by the center manager. The center manager has also told us several times during Peak that if the preload is wrapped he would let us start early. It is your choice as to whether you want to start early or start at the established start time. I choose to start early if I can--this does not mean that I will punch out any earlier as I have a drop box with an 1800 pickup time.

Based on a number of posts in this thread there are other center manager's doing the same in their centers.

You are the one who must have failed remedial reading. I never said your contract spells out a specific time. What I did say is that many Supplement contracts include consistency language to insure workers can't be made to wait around to start. My supplement includes such language. If you weren't only concerned about yourself, you and your coworkers could hold your manager to a consistent start time only changed by (as you stated) 72-hour notice. This would be to your collective advantage. I guess this must all be over your head.

Nimnim

The Nim
OK, you want value, here goes:

A specific start time is not specified in the contract nor in any of the supplements. The only contractual reference to a start time is the article which states that UPS must provide a 72 hour notice of a start time (except for emergency operations) change. If the center manager states that this is the start time but also says that he will let the drivers that are present start early if the preload is wrapped, it is up to each driver to make their own choice as to whether they want to come in and gamble that the preload will be wrapped or whether to come in at the regular start time. I choose to come in early with the hope of getting on road early so that I can take advantage of the available daylight. If I come in early and the preload is not wrapped I guess I will sit and wait. I would guess that you would choose to come in at your regular start time, which is your choice.

I hope that was of sufficient value for you but couldn't care less if it isn't.

You are the one who must have failed remedial reading. I never said your contract spells out a specific time. What I did say is that many Supplement contracts include consistency language to insure workers can't be made to wait around to start. My supplement includes such language. If you weren't only concerned about yourself, you and your coworkers could hold your manager to a consistent start time only changed by (as you stated) 72-hour notice. This would be to your collective advantage. I guess this must all be over your head.

I bolded the two important parts. Reading comprehension at it's finest.

over9five

Staff member
What I did say is that many Supplement contracts include consistency language to insure workers can't be made to wait around to start.

I can't see where anyone was MADE to wait around to start. Everyone had the right to start at their normal start time.

What a non-issue!

Super64

I showed up @ 0738, nothing was even remotely on time and didn't leave the yard till 0930. Total packages today was 560 in 92 stops, not including late air and a bunch of misloads that came from Jesus west. Total time was 9.5 hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Got to work at 0815, preload was just about wrapped and I thought we should have left at 0830 but the center manager held us until 0845 for some reason. Heaviest day so far but still punched out and gone by 1815. The center made sweeps through my 2 larger pickups (Staples and MBE) which really helped.

I guess the 10-12 of us who came in early will all get yelled at by Omega Man. Yawn.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have flex time starts all year. By contract, they can't start you later then your start time but you can start earlier. These union hardliners complain that the company can't think beyond the computer printout in front of them yet they can't put down the contract book and look at reality. If I can leave earlier it benefits everyone.

thebrownbox

As a preloaded I started at 12 AM

Also any other preloaders here how long do they give you for a break? At our center it's only 10 min which is enough time to maybe go to the bathroom (long line) and maybe eat two bites of some food.

upsman68

I show up early to get a parking spot. If you show up 10 min before start time there is no parking spots and have to park on the grass.

Super64

Tommarow is going to be a big day me thinks.

I was just told to:

Ignore commit times, that tomorrow all packages are best effort regardless of service.
Use the helper as long as it takes to get clean.
Sheet all out of area misloads as missed, dont bother to exchange them. (Why not EC, I know the UPS system is vastly affected by sunshine.)
Take a break every four hours. (They have never said this before. Ever.)
Be in under 14 flat.
Don't call for help unless your in an accident, because every piece of hardware that is in the yard that is capable of moving forward, even if it burns more oil then gas, will be out delivering packages along with any one qualified and trained to drive.

All I have to say is, dam.