What makes this job better

upser4ever

I would just like to hear a few opinions on the job and what makes it better. I've worked at ups for right at 20 years but only driving for close to 3. Not loving utility driving and just wondering if topping out makes things a little better or if getting your own route is what it takes to make the job more bare able. I'm about 2 months from topping out and only hope that helps out but I am worried it won't make things much better. Just like to hear a few personal experiences with this or opinions.

DriverNerd

First thing is don't let it stress you out. You just go out work at a quick, but steady pace; don't push yourself to the point of exhaustion. And never bring it home with you. And yeah, making $100,000 a year does make a difference.

upser4ever

I wish I could do what you say but I probably let it stress me out way more than I should, I stress out all day everyday at work feeling like I'm behind and I can never catch up or get ahead no matter what. Then the weekend is here and I'm good until Sunday morning when I wake up already worrying about who knows which route I'm running on Monday or if I'm going out blind. I also dream about work probably 3-4 nights a week at least and they aren't ever good ones, guess more like nightmares

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Paid by the hour sir

I'm a full time unassigned driver. Different route everyday

Couldn't find my sup on Friday morning

Thought I had too many air

Said screw it and hit the road

Had a good time meandering through my morning

Took a minute to eat a granola bar as I skipped breakfast

Ran a few ground that Orion suggested

Picked a HUGE booger out of my schnoz! (Used a hankie)

Made my last air stop at 1028

Point is

Chill the hell out dude

You're putting all that stress on yourself

It's just boxes

Inanimate objects

Don't let them out smart you

Ms.PacMan

What he said. Don't stress, don't get angry. The job stays the same but seems easier over time because it's you that changes.

Sounds like you need to bid a route whenever possible though. Utility driving isn't for everyone.

upser4ever

I hear what you're saying, just can't get to that point. Are you at top pay yet? Wondering if that may change things, maybe I will not stress as much? I see many drivers who come in and are happy and don't let the job get to them, don't know how they do it but I want to get there. I also want to get done as early as possible every single day and maybe that is part of my problem. I also worry about running under more than I should, feel like if I don't run under then I look like a crappy driver to my peers and management.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I wish I could do what you say but I probably let it stress me out way more than I should, I stress out all day everyday at work feeling like I'm behind and I can never catch up or get ahead no matter what. Then the weekend is here and I'm good until Sunday morning when I wake up already worrying about who knows which route I'm running on Monday or if I'm going out blind. I also dream about work probably 3-4 nights a week at least and they aren't ever good ones, guess more like nightmares
wow, you need some help. maybe some professional help about stress management or else you won't make it to retirement.

there must be some other drivers that appear to be laid back or mellow that have fun. ask them what their secret is. you need some advice from people who have it figured out.

it will be a liberating day when you learn how to take it easy .

ManInBrown

I hate to say it but if you stress now it's probably never going to change. I wish you the best. Try to chill out. Maybe meditate in the morning. I kind of feel bad for drivers that stress about the job. Must be horrible. I see them at the screen every morning looking at all their stops. Damn shame. It's just cardboard dude. Paid by the hour. One stop at a time.

upser4ever

Well I don't appreciate you saying I need professional help simply because I stress out about work and want to do the best job I can do. But I do get what you're saying about certain drivers being more mellow. It's like they just don't care and roll with the punches. I don't know how they do it but I do want to get to that point.

Ms.PacMan

Yes I'm at top rate. A bigger paycheck doesn't make you stress out less. You are just going to have to tell yourself not to get upset. You're going to get at the same time no matter what.

Focus on your pace. You know if you're doing the best you can - that's good enough.

upser4ever

Man in brown, how do you not stress out? Have you had your own route for a while? I am definitely one of those guys at the computer screens each morning. I come in early to see what route I'm running and look at my truck and see whatever I can on the computer that might help my day. I just want everything to go as well as possible and get done as early as possible

ManInBrown

Man in brown, how do you not stress out? Have you had your own route for a while? I am definitely one of those guys at the computer screens each morning. I come in early to see what route I'm running and look at my truck and see whatever I can on the computer that might help my day. I just want everything to go as well as possible and get done as early as possible
I'm just mellow. I don't stress this job. It's just a mindset. I'm wired like that. Show up 2 minutes before start time. Drop bag in truck. Go to PCM. I don't even know how many stops I have until I'm done my air. Then I'll check. Have had my own route for a little over a year. I was the same before I had my own route. I couldn't care less how many stops I'm loaded down with for the day. If I'm out till 10, I'm out till 10. Come get my pickup pieces. C ya when I C ya

upser4ever

Wow I mean that's awesome in my opinion and I wish I could get to that mindset but doubt I ever will. I have to ask though are you married or have any kids? Because getting home at 10 would not fair well for my family life

ManInBrown

Wow I mean that's awesome in my opinion and I wish I could get to that mindset but doubt I ever will. I have to ask though are you married or have any kids? Because getting home at 10 would not fair well for my family life
Nope. Single but I do have a GF and she understands. Does she want to stay at a Circle 8 motel when we go on vacation or at a Four Seasons.

Ms.PacMan

How does looking at the computer screen help you? Or going thru the load for that matter?

I look at my EDD for the air and any businesses that are too late in the line up and ask the preloader if there is anything weird or buried in the load.

upser4ever

Man in brown I hear you and totally understand, if I was 10 years younger and single I probably would be fine with working 12 hrs a day. I'm sure the extra money helps make things better as well

Ms pacman, looking at the computer helps especially if you haven't ran a route in a while or never at all. And I don't go through the whole load or anything, just look at what's in the floor and my air. Can't depend on preloaders much because most are new or just don't care

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Paid by the hour sir

I'm a full time unassigned driver. Different route everyday

Couldn't find my sup on Friday morning

Thought I had too many air

Said screw it and hit the road

Had a good time meandering through my morning

Took a minute to eat a granola bar as I skipped breakfast

Ran a few ground that Orion suggested

Picked a HUGE booger out of my schnoz! (Used a hankie)

Made my last air stop at 1028

Point is

Chill the hell out dude

You're putting all that stress on yourself

It's just boxes

Inanimate objects

Don't let them out smart you

Since you skipped breakfast did you eat the booger?

Shonuff

I hear what you're saying, just can't get to that point. Are you at top pay yet? Wondering if that may change things, maybe I will not stress as much? I see many drivers who come in and are happy and don't let the job get to them, don't know how they do it but I want to get there. I also want to get done as early as possible every single day and maybe that is part of my problem. I also worry about running under more than I should, feel like if I don't run under then I look like a crappy driver to my peers and management.

By the way it sounds, I thought you were still in your 30 days trying to qualify, and then I re-read your original post and it says you've been driving 3 years!!??. Don't worry so much! Just work efficiently, follow the methods, and...