What percentage of Teamsters do you think will vote in the upcoming IBT election?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
15% the standard percentage. How many of you recieved a request from the IBT for a change of address since 2008?? I can answer that for you....ZERO.

The percentage of people who live in the same home as in 2008 is pretty low. This group will not recieve a ballot. This will automatcally reduce turnout.

How about at the local level? Again with zero. Even with Titan, if you dont update the local and UPS, they will have an incorrect address for you. This affects mostly the part time ranks but they make up the majority.

We should all update UPS and the Local each year, but we dont.

Peace.

804brown

It doesn't matter.
Hoffa will, again, mysteriously win.

It wasnt a mystery. He had big time name recognition and lots of $$ . Add member apathy = Hoffa win. But Im not so sure about this time. Members are not apathetic at this point. They are pissed off. Citizen as well as union member frustration is at an all time high. People throughout this country are looking to get rid of incumbents in every large and powerful institution. I think the Hoffa name is going to be a liablity this time. Members are going to see the same ol Hoffa name and vote against that tried and tired incumbent. The 3 way split helps Sandy Pope. Upset is in the air!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My brother 804,

splits only help the incumbent and not the challengers. Historically, three way elections show only a major split between the two new challengers and the core base stays with the incumbent. Sandy Pope does not have a chance in HELL here in california.

We have the largest membership of teamsters in the country and she needs to win here and that wont happen. She invested practically zero dollars in our state.

Hoffa will win re-election hands down.

Peace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

15% the standard percentage. How many of you recieved a request from the IBT for a change of address since 2008?? I can answer that for you....ZERO.

The percentage of people who live in the same home as in 2008 is pretty low. This group will not recieve a ballot. This will automatcally reduce turnout.

How about at the local level? Again with zero. Even with Titan, if you dont update the local and UPS, they will have an incorrect address for you. This affects mostly the part time ranks but they make up the majority.

Peace.

I seem to recall that our local came to the center before the last election with a computer printout asking all employees to verify the information that the union had on file for them.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I seem to recall that our local came to the center before the last election with a computer printout asking all employees to verify the information that the union had on file for them.

That would be the right thing to do. It isnt in most cases. Turnout is always low, there are many factors for it. Voter apathy is always blamed, but when you look at the numbers, it always comes down to ballots never getting to the right addresses.

We should, as employees, make the calls to our locals and insure they have the right address for all of us. Some people just dont want the literature that comes and use that reason for not updating.

Voting is important, but getting a ballot is more important.

Peace.

upsset

This contract will probably be a nasty fight to protect what we have and make some gains. Do you really want an unproven team sitting across from UPS's A - Team. I know I don't

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Do you live in Lake Woebegone where "all the children are above average"?

Seriously, must be a rural area.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
15% the standard percentage. How many of you received a request from the IBT for a change of address since 2008?? I can answer that for you....ZERO.

The percentage of people who live in the same home as in 2008 is pretty low. This group will not receive a ballot. This will automatically reduce turnout.

Peace.

Are you telling me you think the International should send out a change of address card to every member of the Union? Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea what that would cost in postage alone? Much less the printing costs!! In 2008 there were 1.4 million members of the International, if you take that times even 25cents for a postcard you would be spending $350,000 just to try to verify an address. the same number of those would be returned as the ballots but at a $350,000 cost reduction.You would have to be crazy to OK that amount of expense coming out of our dues money!! I agree, many people don't get their ballots due to incorrect address information on file, but that is 100% the members responsibility to fix. If they are to lazy to change their address, they are most likely not going to vote anyway. I will tell you, there is an election committee that goes thru every returned ballot and attempts to get the correct mailing address before the ballots are counted. It would make no sense what so ever for the candidates to just let them sit, they all want every vote they can get.

local804

My brother 804,

splits only help the incumbent and not the challengers. Historically, three way elections show only a major split between the two new challengers and the core base stays with the incumbent. Sandy Pope does not have a chance in HELL here in california.

We have the largest membership of teamsters in the country and she needs to win here and that wont happen. She invested practically zero dollars in our state.

Hoffa will win re-election hands down.

Peace.

From what I understand, Sandy just left your state and I doubt it much that she invested zero. Are you telling me that in 91, a three way race didnt help Ron Carey with his 48% of the vote? what do you think?