What (seasonal) position will I end up with?

psichick

I decided I would apply to UPS for seasonal positions. From reading this forum, I would assume the Driver position is out, however, I'm supposed to go in next week for some sort of appointment/testing. In another thread, some of you stated that they'll offer up other positions. Does that mean, don't apply for the other positions and wait and see, or apply?

They also have Driver Helper positions and PT Package Handler positions. I'll be real, I doubt I could do the Package Handler position, that's intense. Give you guys lots of props.

I have worked at UPS before, however I was in the International dept doing Data Entry and it was awhile ago. Hmm...I may not be black, but I'm an Asian woman in Portland, OR that can drive a manual. Does that give me any leeway? Maybe they have to fill some quotas? Oh well, I can wish.

I can start at any time and work any shift. Figured I'd see if anyone has any insight. I've been reading a lot of the replies, but many of them are really old. Not sure if they're still applicable or not.

Thanks. I'll keep reading to see if I find more info.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I decided I would apply to UPS for seasonal positions. From reading this forum, I would assume the Driver position is out, however, I'm supposed to go in next week for some sort of appointment/testing. In another thread, some of you stated that they'll offer up other positions. Does that mean, don't apply for the other positions and wait and see, or apply?

They also have Driver Helper positions and PT Package Handler positions. I'll be real, I doubt I could do the Package Handler position, that's intense. Give you guys lots of props.

I have worked at UPS before, however I was in the International dept doing Data Entry and it was awhile ago. Hmm...I may not be black, but I'm an Asian woman in Portland, OR that can drive a manual. Does that give me any leeway? Maybe they have to fill some quotas? Oh well, I can wish.

I can start at any time and work any shift. Figured I'd see if anyone has any insight. I've been reading a lot of the replies, but many of them are really old. Not sure if they're still applicable or not.

Funny how that whole equal pay for equal work came about but you have no problem using your ethnicity and sex to get a leg up when you need to.

J

jibbs

Funny how that whole equal pay for equal work came about but you have no problem using your ethnicity and sex to get a leg up when you need to.

We can only play the cards we're dealt but some people like to keep an ace up their sleeve. I wish there was a caucasian male quota to fill somewhere in this world.... I also wish that, on applications and various forms, I could fill in a bubble listing my ethnicity as "Caucasian," but noooooo, asians get Pacific Islanders, black people get African American, Spanish get Hispanic, and us white folks are stuck with "white." I say **** it and list 'em white, yellow, brown, red or give me a PC ethnicity like e'rrybody else.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We dont have any affirmative action quota to fill unless you plan on applying for a nonunion position, thankfully so. I just hate entitled mind people who think that they deserve something because of their race. You have to start from the bottom and work your way up like everybody else, or me or one of my pt brothers/sisters are going to file a grievance and bump you OUT!

gingerkat

Hmmm… I was going to try and give you my thoughtful, helpful post but then I read your stupid :censored2: post in entirety and realized it would be impossible for me to do so.

Your description sounds just like me, but the main difference is I would NEVER expect to get a job based on race, sex or any special privileges. The mere fact that you "hope" for that makes me think of you as a taker. No one person should get a job unless qualified. Quotas are bullsheet and take away from well deserving people that actually fit the job! A job position should be like a race, whoever gets there first, wins. It's called being motivated.

I hope you can adjust your thinking because people pick up on this quickly. Maybe you should be thinking "I can work hard, I will work hard", and that is all. Damn, whatever happened to good work ethics these days?

I know others are going to shame me for my aggressive post, but this entitlement post of hers pisses me off.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's like all the states now wanting to put race back on college applications because "minorities" aren't getting accepted when treated as equals. Don't say u want equality when what u really want is special treatment.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We can only play the cards we're dealt but some people like to keep an ace up their sleeve. I wish there was a caucasian male quota to fill somewhere in this world.... I also wish that, on applications and various forms, I could fill in a bubble listing my ethnicity as "Caucasian," but noooooo, asians get Pacific Islanders, black people get African American, Spanish get Hispanic, and us white folks are stuck with "white." I say **** it and list 'em white, yellow, brown, red or give me a PC ethnicity like e'rrybody else.

I'm Irish-American. Most black people claim African-American so why can't I declare where my people are from as well. Most have never been to Africa and I've never been to Ireland so it seems even. And don't play me that "we were brought here as slaves" crap because the Irish were brought here as slaves by the English a few hundred years before blacks were.

psichick

Actually I only wrote that because it was mentioned in a thread or two. I could give a damn about my sex/ethnicity and equal pay to be honest (I'm a realist).

psichick

Hmmm… I was going to try and give you my thoughtful, helpful post but then I read your stupid :censored2: post in entirety and realized it would be impossible for me to do so.

Your description sounds just like me, but the main difference is I would NEVER expect to get a job based on race, sex or any special privileges. The mere fact that you "hope" for that makes me think of you as a taker. No one person should get a job unless qualified. Quotas are bullsheet and take away from well deserving people that actually fit the job! A job position should be like a race, whoever gets there first, wins. It's called being motivated.

I hope you can adjust your thinking because people pick up on this quickly. Maybe you should be thinking "I can work hard, I will work hard", and that is all. Damn, whatever happened to good work ethics these days?

I know others are going to shame me for my aggressive post, but this entitlement post of hers pisses me off.

OMG. You people here crack me up. You're sarcastic to everyone who posts, but then when sarcasm is thrown into a new post, you actually think I'm serious. Damn, get real. I was KIDDING (triple emphasis in case you miss it) about the whole sex/race thing. Jeez. It was mentioned in a couple of other posts to women who asked questions about applying for driver positions and you (general) answered, "only if you're a black woman". So, you men can throw that sarcasm out about that, but it's entitlement when a woman actually does it?

Get a grip.

psichick

Let me re-write this for clarification since all you sarcastic posters aren't seeing the sarcasm.

Hmm...I may not be black, but I'm an Asian woman in Portland, OR that can drive a manual. Does that give me any leeway? Maybe they have to fill some quotas? Oh well, I can wish.
:wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

Does that help clarify how "serious" and "entitled" I felt when I wrote that comment? Jeez people, really, calm down and laugh a little......you do at so many other posters.

J

jibbs

If you had just used the winkie faces in the first place this all could've been avoided.... :wink2:

What were all the positions that were open when you applied? Was it just the seasonal driver helper and seasonal package handler positions? If it were those two then, obviously, those are the two you're likely to get.... driver helping is pretty standard all across the board, but package handling isn't just loading and unloading-- small sort might be your thing if you don't think you could keep up with other loaders and/or unloaders, but I'm unsure (and kind of doubt) that you'd be able to pick that position at the interview.

Truthfully, I think you'd be more in the running for a driver helper position if anything, but hey, (and I'm assuming you fit this mold here) short, lightweight people are all over the preload in my center. A good 75% of them can handle the job and are willing, with the other 25% either not being able to keep up or lack the motivation to keep up with the workflow. You may think you can't handle it and then completely surprise yourself when you get thrown in the mix.

[EDIT: I'd also like to add that I would think a seasonal package handler would have more of a chance at becoming a permanent employee after peak season than a seasonal driver helper would, but that's pure speculation on my part.]

gingerkat

OMG. You people here crack me up. You're sarcastic to everyone who posts, but then when sarcasm is thrown into a new post, you actually think I'm serious. Damn, get real. I was KIDDING (triple emphasis in case you miss it) about the whole sex/race thing. Jeez. It was mentioned in a couple of other posts to women who asked questions about applying for driver positions and you (general) answered, "only if you're a black woman". So, you men can throw that sarcasm out about that, but it's entitlement when a woman actually does it?

Get a grip.
I'm sorry madam, but I fail to see where in your original post you're joking? I'm not sure if you understand how typed words often fail to show emotions. Plus, why would you post in jest? I thought you were looking for serious responses? Oh and I absolutely was NOT being sarcastic with you. I was dead serious in my post. If I had thrown any sarcasm your way, you would definitely known it.

Good luck, I hope you get put on a really tough commercial route with a old grumpy driver who has no time for nonsense.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm sorry madam, but I fail to see where in your original post you're joking? I'm not sure if you understand how typed words often fail to show emotions. Plus, why would you post in jest? I thought you were looking for serious responses? Oh and I absolutely was NOT being sarcastic with you. I was dead serious in my post. If I had thrown any sarcasm your way, you would definitely known it.

Good luck, I hope you get put on a really tough commercial route with a old grumpy driver who has no time for nonsense.
the person who started a terrible thread and had 4 total posts demands your respect ginger. Lol