What Should I do?

silk

Hey everyone, i've been a senior sorter for a year now, and today my boss decided to break the news, that next week 4 of the sorters will be getting sent to driver training.

All of whom are have been there just under 5 months.

I confronted him asked him why i was being stepped over he said that my "driving wasn't good. The wheel turned slightly to the right when i was down shifting and i gave to much gas." his words not mine. Basically sayin i was unsafe and unfit to drive yet he has me backing them up to the docks all the time..whatever.

Amongst the 4 one of them burnt out the clutch and has not done a road test yet was told he will be going, and the other 3 who did a road test the boss took a clip board with him and marked down the faults or whatever.. on my road test he had no clip board.

I feel like i am being #%$% over. What should i do?

over9five

Staff member
I think you are probably a very good sorter, so that is where they want to keep you.

What does your shop steward have to say?

silk

Said i was being $%$#%^ and i should get used to it. I know it would be hard to replace me, considering on my day off or whatever they have 1 or 2 full time drivers come in replace me i work the split and load 3 trucks. Any of the other fellas no one comes in to replace them. But what your saying is exactly the reason i was thinking..and if it is this sux

he gave me a number i can call and who to ask for and tell him what happened..also said he would bring in a grievance form.

CustomerConcern

1. Your steward sounds like an AH. 2. File the grievance, start a paper trail about harassment from the sup who "failed" you. If the number you got is for the Business Agent certainly call them so they can try to head this off quickly. Also make sure to ask for the documentation that states your poor driving habits, because if it was a fail you and the steward should have reviewed and signed off on it.

silk

1. Your steward sounds like an AH. 2. File the grievance, start a paper trail about harassment from the sup who "failed" you. If the number you got is for the Business Agent certainly call them so they can try to head this off quickly. Also make sure to ask for the documentation that states your poor driving habits, because if it was a fail you and the steward should have reviewed and signed off on it.

i believe the number is for the head of my unions local. and what do you mean by start a paper trail?

CustomerConcern

i believe the number is for the head of my unions local. and what do you mean by start a paper trail?

Grieving every instance that this particular Sup. violates your seniority, or rights. It starts to show a trend and makes it easier to get them off your *****, or removed.

silk

yah he just got hired like 2 months now he's been working there. But i really dont see how this grievance will even help me. But thats why im here...to understand and know what i can do.

CustomerConcern

Grievance can be your best friend if used properly. Hearing just your side of the story it sounds like they just want you to stay on the belt (I know because I was in same spot). It sounds like a clear seniority violation and that you have every right to attend the training.

silk

Grievance can be your best friend if used properly. Hearing just your side of the story it sounds like they just want you to stay on the belt (I know because I was in same spot). It sounds like a clear seniority violation and that you have every right to attend the training.
I hope you're right. But what's to say the union does come through and the Sup tells me okay we'll do another road test. I do another and he's harsh and fails me anyways then all this was for nothing right? it seems like i can't win this battle..what happend in your situation?

Look, you have two choices. 1) File,as everyone has told you and make them prove you are unable to drive or 2) continue to piss and moan in your post on how the man is ****ing you over. Only one of these will get you at least a shot at driving. Would you like to take a guess which one it is?

CustomerConcern

If the sup fails you again he has to have a meeting with you and your steward and explain how you failed. All ride alongs must be reviewed, they are essentially a documented Talk-With. If it ends up being harassmentand you use the paper-trail, everything can be backdated to the start, as well as grieving everytime a less senior person driving and you don't.

My situation was I loaded 3 of the heaviest routes without ever having a missload or any problems. My drivers loved me and made sure to point it out constantly to the MGT team. Time came for me to go to FT and the On-Road Sup came out with a failing Space and Vis. that never happened. Took a few months but I stayed in the fight and kept grieving. Proved the ride along was bogus, got paid for every instance the guy under me drove, and got moved up immediately.

silk

If the sup fails you again he has to have a meeting with you and your steward and explain how you failed. All ride alongs must be reviewed, they are essentially a documented Talk-With. If it ends up being harassmentand you use the paper-trail, everything can be backdated to the start, as well as grieving everytime a less senior person driving and you don't.

My situation was I loaded 3 of the heaviest routes without ever having a missload or any problems. My drivers loved me and made sure to point it out constantly to the MGT team. Time came for me to go to FT and the On-Road Sup came out with a failing Space and Vis. that never happened. Took a few months but I stayed in the fight and kept grieving. Proved the ride along was bogus, got paid for every instance the guy under me drove, and got moved up immediately.
WOW, you sir are my hero i called my union. They told me about filing the grievance and then he will take it from there ask many questions and see if i have a case. The sniority thing he can't do much about he said tho.

You kept grieving? what every time the Sup would mess up?

silk

Hell yes, that guy couldn't move without me handing him a grievance. One of my favorites (and just to be a jerk to him) was to grieve every day he failed to wear an ID badge or name tag.

Man..NONE of my super's wear an ID or name tag. You can't be serious. How did you know you could grieve that.

Silk, keep working with your union business manager, bypass your steward (it sounds like he doesn't want to do his job). Fill the grievances when the Sup really does something against the contract, but don't be a jerk about it. That will get you more attention than you want.
And don't be afraid to go over your sup's head either.

CustomerConcern

Do you even have a copy of the contract? If so...READ IT AND KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, if not, then get one. Request one from your steward, BA, Local.

The whole badge thing is really a cheap shot, but its how I let MGT know they crossed a line. I get a nice side wage from Sups working grievances, there is a ton of things you can stick them with, but you had better be on your A game once you start playing that way. Biggest thing is don't be a doormat, stand up for your rights, don't be afraid to call your steward or BA and ask about or inform them of things going on.

silk

Do you even have a copy of the contract? If so...READ IT AND KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, if not, then get one. Request one from your steward, BA, Local.

The whole badge thing is really a cheap shot, but its how I let MGT know they crossed a line. I get a nice side wage from Sups working grievances, there is a ton of things you can stick them with, but you had better be on your A game once you start playing that way. Biggest thing is don't be a doormat, stand up for your rights, don't be afraid to call your steward or BA and ask about or inform them of things going on.

I do have a copy of the contract...well its a new contract all of Canada had just voted on. I will read it but i didn't realise anything in there pertained to my Sup..Thanks for all the help fella's i greatly appriciate this. My shop steward approached me the day before and asked if i wanted to do the training so i can be one a shop steward as well.