What should I expect as a pre-loader

arice11

I was just hired as a UPS pre-loader, I start in 6 days and I'm not sure what to expect.
Would anyone care to help explain what my duties will require of me?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Visually scan conveyor belt for packages with PAL labels for your pkg car(s). PAL (Preload Assist Label) will tell you what car the pkg goes on and where on the car to load it. The pkg car has 8 shelf locations, four floor locations and three rear door locations to load packages. Select package and load according to PAL. Repeat 800-1200 times while being yelled at by the preload supervisor to go faster.

Expect management to tell the drivers to run any misloads you put on their truck, "on their way in." That way, the package is delivered and you will not be disciplined.

UPSGUY72

Expect to work it's not hard just continuous work. You will most likely be unloading trailers. But whatever job your doing just keep moving and keep the chit chat down to a minimum and you'll be fine.

The people that are getting talked to about not working hard enough are the ones always talking.

Paradox

Expect to work it's not hard just continuous work. You will most likely be unloading trailers. But whatever job your doing just keep moving and keep the chit chat down to a minimum and you'll be fine.

The people that are getting talked to about not working hard enough are the ones always talking.

I'm also starting soon.. With so many people here hating UPS and many more reviews online about working for UPS I was starting to feel like I signed up for a poisition in hell. However, I'm assuming hard work at this company does pay off. It is a corporate world and a corporate ladder. Suck it up, work hard, you'll eventually get where you need to go.

When I took a walk through the warehouse I saw that it's a lot of repetative work, no matter where they place you. Whether it be loading or unloading, you will be lifting boxes and putting them down. Then you'll life some boxes, and put them down. You'll probably lift some boxes, and then put them down. Only after lifting some boxes, and putting them down. To spice things up though for the last hour or two into the shift you will lift some boxes, and put them down.

From what I've read online, you're never fast enough and it's up to you how to react. What I plan on doing is busting my ass, and if it's not good enough and I get told I'm not working hard enough I'll ignore it and keep working. (Ignore it if I truly am working as hard as I can. No reason to stress what is out of my control) If you get fired, whatever. You were at the bottom of a ladder that supposably sucks anyway.

arice11

I'm also starting soon.. With so many people here hating UPS and many more reviews online about working for UPS I was starting to feel like I signed up for a poisition in hell. However, I'm assuming hard work at this company does pay off. It is a corporate world and a corporate ladder. Suck it up, work hard, you'll eventually get where you need to go.

When I took a walk through the warehouse I saw that it's a lot of repetative work, no matter where they place you. Whether it be loading or unloading, you will be lifting boxes and putting them down. Then you'll life some boxes, and put them down. You'll probably lift some boxes, and then put them down. Only after lifting some boxes, and putting them down. To spice things up though for the last hour or two into the shift you will lift some boxes, and put them down.

From what I've read online, you're never fast enough and it's up to you how to react. What I plan on doing is busting my ass, and if it's not good enough and I get told I'm not working hard enough I'll ignore it and keep working. (Ignore it if I truly am working as hard as I can. No reason to stress what is out of my control) If you get fired, whatever. You were at the bottom of a ladder that supposably sucks anyway.

arice11

If i gather correctly, this is a pretty tough job.

Anyone have any tips on how to stay ahead of game?
Should I ask questions on day one?
UPS is a union so will there be some kind of orientation my first day?
Or will I just be thrown into the fray and expect to keep up?

barnyard

KTM rider
Look around a little. It is possible that on a message board that has been around for years that others have asked the exact same question.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Its a very tough job. Lots of walking, heavy lifting on top of that. If you get a boxline, then you will have to learn to sort, shape cages. And it goes on all night long. Expect to be working 4 1/2, 5 + hours a night, especially this time of year.

A belt fed house or loading station is the latter. A house is pretty easy if eveyone is working together and hopefully pick off isnt a complete maroon and let missorts go by all night long.

A loading station is where the belt runs all night long, taking the package off the belt and into the car. Most are straight running belts, this is the worst, because people let their stuff go by them and / or stack out all night long, its choas. Theres also circle belts, where packages are dumped onto a belt and goes in a circle. Its a lot of sorting and bending over, headache/ backache comes to mind.

arice11

Wow, this sounds like a pretty brutal job. I only accepted it because I wasn't thrilled about being a temp driver helper for the season.

There has to be a way to succeed well and stand out in this position.
Paying dues and waking up at 3am isn't a fun prospect but will it be worth it if I stay with this company?

Paradox

Wow, this sounds like a pretty brutal job. I only accepted it because I wasn't thrilled about being a temp driver helper for the season.

Paying dues and waking up at 3am isn't a fun prospect but will it be worth it if I stay with this company?

From online reviews and opinions here.. 9/10 times no. I'll see what it's like next week and if hate it I'll quit. I know hard work, I've done construction, but 8 years to become a driver just because seniority is the only thing that matters is stupid.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Paying dues on already low income are most gripes about the PT job. You already make a low wage, get killed day in and out and work to their overwhelming demands... and they want your blood, sweat and tears ontop of that, no thanks!

The way to stand out is always come to work, be on time and next to never have mistakes. They might eyeball your way and choose you to stay. They might say your fired, but we want you to come to work the next day. This means your in, not altogether, but for a period of time. Pass the trail date and your an insider, for life if you wish. Remind yourself, you'll do anythign for this job, because this is where the real job beings.

Driver help is simple compared to preload, unload etc etc. People always think of the driver being the hard job, they have no idea what really goes on within the building. Again, this is where the real job begins.

kmac126

basically if you bust your ass, work hard, dont complain, youll do good. show up for work, have a good attitude.
people are different, some cant hang, as for me, my dad always taught me to GET **** DONE. therefore, i GET **** DONE.
UPS will pay off in the long run, benefits are one of the best in the county.