What to do about a sort gone completely rogue?

upschuck

You mean you've never seen every single supervisor in your hub doing union labor because management purposefully understaffed and were not satisfied with their "after break numbers" 2 out of 5 days per week?

Get a few grievances coming in on a particular day and they will call "supervisors working " to "nullify" the grievances. The people who do grieve are bought off with comfy positions and days off. Our hazmat responders take too long to respond so a supervisor with paper towels will be happy to assume the leaking package smells safe so surely they are capable of the clean up to keep things running nicely.
That is the part I have never heard of. They would do this everyday everywhere if that were the case, and it is not. Do they announce that over the intercom?

anonymous4

They will "announce" it over their radios and the supervisors will make it known that "supervisors are now working".

This started a few years ago during Monday peak days. It has grown into an every other day thing and our steward has no answers. Something about if they call supervisors working full-timers get guaranteed OT, basically pulling :censored2: out of their ass as none of this is in the contract. This action takes a 5 hour sort into lucky to get 3 and 1/2 and it is happening more and more as they have realized they can get away with it.

upschuck

So they pay FT OT instead of paying PT straight time wages. I don't think so. Every time you post, it makes it less believable. At least they make it easy to document the times that sups are working for grievances.

anonymous4

Read between the lines. They don't pay full timers OT because there are perhaps 10 out of 120 and how many want it after working 8 hours? How many go to lunch before the sort even wraps? The point is what the steward is telling us is not factual and I assure you this happens and my grievances do not stick.

Here is another tid-bit: Out of 120 I would be one of 2 or 3 grieving anything. The rest are completely unaffiliated with the union and this makes it impossible to gain ground.

Do not waste time questioning my integrity on the matter as I have better things to do than falsify the corrupt nature of the people paid to represent me - such as sled, be an upstatenyupser groupie and fap.

anonymous4

For comparisons sake, this particular sort is the only one where this routinely goes on. Other sorts have more of a union presence and while supervisors do work, it is less of an issue and it is certainly not "officially" declared.

Our BA has turned a blind-eye to this sort because there is no backlash and he is not held accountable as a result. This would not fly on an opposing shift in the same hub.

PT Car Washer

Our Twilight had a deal where a high seniority PTer (old and slow) would stand by and watch a sup do the actual work. I hope we put a stop to that. A lot of deals are cut in the hub sorts.

anonymous4

Our Twilight had a deal where a high seniority PTer (old and slow) would stand by and watch a sup do the actual work. I hope we put a stop to that. A lot of deals are cut in the hub sorts.

We have several "demo" (what's that?) whom get to watch their brothers and sisters work all shift while a supervisor works the duration. Although that was more of a last year thing, as I said the current FOTM is to declare supervisors working after cutting the dead weight via VLO.

anonymous4

What Local ??

-Bug-

This is local 170 and our BA is James R. Peters 508-799-0551 Ext. 31. This is taking place on the night sort.

Please, give him a call and ask him why he is not representing the membership. Ask him why supervisors can officially declare they are working on a whim (what, 8 times the last month?). Ask him why there are decade+ teamsters unable to get into the sort isles or pick-off positions for years now because UPS management has declared this a strictly "work as directed" sort where hard-working teamsters seniority means nothing. Ask him where the preferred job list hides itself. Ask him why boxes are stacked 5 foot high by supervisors, on rollers, because there isn't enough hourlies to load them. Ask him why egress is blown out of trucks creating dangerous situations routinely. Ask him why the few members who create noise are told these issues are "being worked on" as months turn into years.

I wish I could tell you what the man looks like but I haven't seen the white of his eyes. He is sound asleep. Where is the contract enforcement? Surely he is aware this is going on and has known for quite some time as it has progressed to this point. One unannounced walk-through would yield dozens of contract violations not to mention safety violations.

The answer to these questions are clear as day. No one on that shift cares and the people who do are too few to be power for positive change and it is not right.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What Local ?

This is local 170 and our BA is James R. Peters 508-799-0551 Ext. 31. This is taking place on the night sort.

Please, give him a call and ask him why he is not representing the membership.

You are a member of the Local.

Ask the Executive Board.... at the next scheduled monthly meeting.

Or....better yet.... ask the agent.... at the same meeting.

I wish I could tell you what the man looks like but I haven't seen the white of his eyes.

http://www.teamsterlocal170.com/agents-officers/business-agents/

It is easy to criticize.... Be a part of the solution. Get involved.

-Bug-

anonymous4

Teflon. An example would be you grieve x supervisor for working. In response they will bring up an hourly demo and the consensus is the hourly was their the entire time. Other days they declare under-staffing (but give VLOs) as justification to declare a supervisor working condition. Grievance victories are few and far between. My job as an hourly is to work. They will ping-pong you around as needed.

Trashing my BA? I attempted to get a pick-off spot for over a year. I exhausted all avenues. I have over 10 years at UPS and I routinely see employees with a month in picking off and sorting. Do you believe I am the only member who has asked to have a preferred job list put up for part-timers? That list is an enigma and my steward and BA have no answer. I work at UPS for money. I am not salaried and it is in my best interest to work for hours in the job I prefer, based on my acquired seniority level and that is not happening for anyone here.

I know for a fact other members have been given the run-around. Do your job and rightfully represent the people paying into the union or pursue another career. You can be sure these happenings would not take place on an opposing sort as he would have dozens of angry members ringing.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Please, give him a call and ask him why he is not representing the membership. Ask him why supervisors can officially declare they are working on a whim (what, 8 times the last month?). Ask him why there are decade+ teamsters unable to get into the sort isles or pick-off positions for years now because UPS management has declared this a strictly "work as directed" sort where hard-working teamsters seniority means nothing. Ask him where the preferred job list hides itself. Ask him why boxes are stacked 5 foot high by supervisors, on rollers, because there isn't enough hourlies to load them. Ask him why egress is blown out of trucks creating dangerous situations routinely. Ask him why the few members who create noise are told these issues are "being worked on" as months turn into years.

I wish I could tell you what the man looks like but I haven't seen the white of his eyes. He is sound asleep. Where is the contract enforcement? Surely he is aware this is going on and has known for quite some time as it has progressed to this point. One unannounced walk-through would yield dozens of contract violations not to mention safety violations.

The answer to these questions are clear as day. No one on that shift cares and the people who do are too few to be power for positive change and it is not right.
Liquid Swords,

I would send him an e-mail sharing your concerns as you have here and see his response.

I was surprised to see union officials with an e-mail. My experience has shown that union officials are partial against e-mail correspondence.

Sincerely,
I

anonymous4

I have exhausted email and phone avenues in the past. I am no longer on that shift but I do carry-over from a previous shift several times a week and things have become worse. The TWI shift has supervisors working but it is no where near as rampant and people (for the most part) are situated where they should be (based on seniority). I.e. you won't find a pick off or sorter with a year in while long-time employees aren't allowed unless they brown nose the right supervisor in these areas.

In any case there isn't much else to say. I will try the international and nlrb. I will also forward these options to others on that shift fighting for spots. Thanks for that info.