What to do in PHL?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
So I'll be spending the week in Philly next week for a special assignment. I believe that there will be a relatively decent amount of time to sort of get out and 'see the town'. Any good suggestions on some good eats and/or bars? I want a real Philly Cheesesteak, and whatever that pulled pork sandwich thing was on Man Vs Food...

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So I'll be spending the week in Philly next week for a special assignment. I believe that there will be a relatively decent amount of time to sort of get out and 'see the town'. Any good suggestions on some good eats and/or bars? I want a real Philly Cheesesteak, and whatever that pulled pork sandwich thing was on Man Vs Food...

Atlantic City.

ups hero

The first thing you wanna do when you go to Philly is LEAVE!!! Next, go to Pittsburgh. Go see a Penguin game and go to Primanti Bros. and get a real sandwich with coleslaw and fries on it.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
PHL isn't really my choice. I gotta work with what's in front of me....so a week in PHL is going to be what it is. Trying to find something worthwhile to do there that's not outside the realm of what you would do during a normal work-week.

ups hero

PHL isn't really my choice. I gotta work with what's in front of me....so a week in PHL is going to be what it is. Trying to find something worthwhile to do there that's not outside the realm of what you would do during a normal work-week.

I see, in that case, I'd lock myself inside the hotel and rent the entire movie series of ROCKY. I'm not sure what part of Philly you will be in, last time I went to Wildwood ,NJ we past through Philly to look around then quickly left once we got to Philly. Some parts aren't too nice to be in.

brapkurst

Just was in Philly two weeks ago for a few days. First off is your mention of the famous cheesesteak, of which the two famous competitors are Geno's and Pats found if South Philly about 2 blocks down from the Italian market. Now this area is what outsiders who don't get out much may call "rough" or "sketchy" but my lady and I walked around all over and were perfectly fine. Most people were actually very friendly and helpful. BTW the "Italian" market isn't so Italian anymore with many Latino and Asian stands but if you're in this area it is worth checking out. AND IN MY OPINION, skip the cheese steak. The pulled pork sandwich is roast pork by the way and it is found in the Reading Terminal Market at a place called Dinics. It was my cousin’s advice to blow off the steak sandwich and head here for lunch. It literally was one of the best sandwiches I ever tasted and I believe it was actually rated the best sandwich in America. Other than Dinics there are about 60 other food and market choices here to choose from or the touristy Hard Rock Cafe around the corner ha-ha. There is also tons of shopping about 3 blocks away on Chestnut Street and a small mall in Liberty Place. For the largest mall in America check out the King of Prussia mall about 20 miles northwest of the city. Yes it is the largest mall in America by retail space. The main historical attractions are found about a half mile east of Reading Terminal toward Penn’s Landing, i.e. Liberty Bell, Independence Hall. There is also the Phila Art Museum if that’s your cup of tea or Eastern State Penn which is around the art museum.....and the Penguins suck and will choke as always LOL

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality

I strongly suggest you don't get lost

brapkurst

LTC, I obviously don't know where you're staying at but as with most major cities the hotel "areas" are in the surrounding suburbs or in Center City Philadelphia (aka downtown). These areas will be totally safe to walk around and explore in. When I was there we took the 125 bus from King of Prussia Mall to Center city at noon and caught one of the last buses out to King of Prussia at 10 PM. No problems were encountered at all and this was on Monday night after drinking haha. A word of advice though is that the Philadelphia Subway is BY FAR the worst, which means filthiest, mass transit I have rode on. There are lots of good watering holes about 5 blocks south of Liberty Place. One definite place to hit is Monks, which was rated a top 5 place in the world to have a beer. I believe there were about 400 of them on the menu! This area is where a lot of the graduate students that go to the local universities live (especially UPENN). It almost reminded me of Boston a bit with the atmosphere and brick row houses. Do stay away from West Philadelphia and North Philadelphia as these are the especially crime ridden areas. These is no reason a person would visit these areas anyways as no attractions are near here. Follow typical awareness of your surroundings just as one SHOULD in any large city and you should have a great time.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Go to reading terminal for lunch or breakfast take in a Phillies game if they are home Independence Hall and the mall are must see Liberty Bell ,Constitution Center south street for pizza olde city for funky bars art museum steps do the rocky

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Bring your clubs Ron Jawarski runs river winds gc across the Delaware from the airport you might even see Ron he is always around

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The Phils play the Bucs 4 games starting Monday at home PM the Stew I wll see if I can hook you up for 2 good seats.And as for the Penquins fan earlier in the thread I got your Sid the kid right here Crosby sucks

brapkurst

Of course don't forget THE BEST BREWERY in the Eastern United States in Victory Brewing Company. This is in Downingtown about 40 mins from Philly but is without a doubt worth the trip if you have the time. I believe there is a brewery right in Philadelphia with good craft beer by the name of Yards Brewing Company also. I spent more money on these two places taking beer home than on the rest of the trip! haha

rod

Retired 22 years
Well after reading the reviews I guess I can cross Philly off my travel list. Watch out where you park also. Isn't that show Parking Wars filmed there?