What to do with incompetent loader?

upsgrunt

Incontinence is no laughing matter. If they are leaving a mess in your package car, gently suggest depends, or some other adult diaper.

BrownArmy

My EDD is about 98% perfect--my loader puts them pretty close to where they should be--my wheels only move forward.

I personally think you are wasting your time.

Have a nice weekend.

Dave.

Then you are in the minority...

I cover a route where the 5000 section is always blown out...the loader does his job to the best of his ability, and yes, all of the 5000's are on the 5000 shelf.

But they're not in any order whatsoever.

I'm with upsguy72 on this one: once there's room to sort, before you get to that section, it takes about ten minutes to sort the entire section.

In this example, it saves SO much more time to just organize the section once - otherwise you're wasting time looking for the 3 packages PAL'd to 5024 that are evenly distributed throughout the entire blown-out 5000 section, etc. etc. It's all about the 30-inch selection area. If yours is golden because your EDD is perfect and your loader rocks, then you lead a charmed life.

Please remember that your UPS experience is different than everyone else's.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

OK--back to the topic on hand---first of all, the best way to deal with the late airs is for you to load your own air. This way you know just how many you have and where they are on the car. Your center manager is only going to take the "they were in the load" excuse for so long before he starts going after you. As far as the load quality, what is the loader doing (or not doing) that is making your day more difficult? What improvements would you like him to make?

All he needs to do is put things where they are suppose to be. Air in 1K section - Late air solved. When the PAL says 8000 why are you putting in the 3000 section ?!

Indecisi0n

The first problem is that you are not verifying your air before you leave the building. I have the same problem, so I have the first half of section 1 and 2 devoted only to air. I go thru my commit time packages before I leave the building and verify that every package in EDD is in my truck. I put them all in order the way I will run them(the loader is not even close) and if I can't find one I send an ODS message before I ever leave the building as well as notify a preload sup. If I find it later send the ODS message telling them exactly where I found it the minute I find it. I have about 20-25 air stops a day with about 40-60 packages. I don't have anything sequenced in the 2000 section until 2500 so I have both shelves available for air. You need to cover your own ass and stop worrying about the preloader. Let them fix their own problems or you will be the one to suffer.

Do you get to work 2 hours before you start ? LOL

BrownArmy

In my center the loaders leave all NDA outside of the truck, under the belt.

This seems, as a procedure, to make the most sense to me - perhaps you could suggest that your loader do the same?

When the NDA are outside of the truck and under the belt, you know right where they are...

Occasionally the loaders will load an NDA or two inside the truck, which is why I also verify before leaving the building that I have all the reds I'm supposed to have...

The first problem is that you are not verifying your air before you leave the building. I have the same problem, so I have the first half of section 1 and 2 devoted only to air. I go thru my commit time packages before I leave the building and verify that every package in EDD is in my truck. I put them all in order the way I will run them(the loader is not even close) and if I can't find one I send an ODS message before I ever leave the building as well as notify a preload sup. If I find it later send the ODS message telling them exactly where I found it the minute I find it. I have about 20-25 air stops a day with about 40-60 packages. I don't have anything sequenced in the 2000 section until 2500 so I have both shelves available for air. You need to cover your own ass and stop worrying about the preloader. Let them fix their own problems or you will be the one to suffer.
He is right: verify your air stops and packages before leaving the building. If any stops or packages are missing, let your sup know. Once you tell them packages are missing, you are off the hook. My sup has actually stepped on the truck and helped look for missing air packages in the past. Let them know if air is missing before leaving the building.

Either he can't read numbers or he is just incompetent. I an newer so I have no weight to throw around but this new guy loads like he is blind folded. Nothing is in ts right place even the airs which drives me nuts. I have said something to him about and no results. I talked the driver on the left of me and he says "this is the worst loaded I ever had in 20 years!" So I know I'm not crazy. Sucks. I don't want to get him in trouble but he is getting me in trouble. Late airs.
Buy him a pop everyday and try to relate to him. Maybe he will like you and try harder.

bigbrownhen

Dave you are very fortunate to have a preloader with the ability and time to load correctly. My preloader can do this on occasion, but most of the time he gets blown out loading 5 or 6 heavy trucks. Mine is usually the last to get done, so by the time I get to the truck there are still large stack outs and a pile in the middle of the truck.
I also spend alot of time sorting on days like this. I get the bulk stops delivered, then sort what I can. I set up my resis once business are done. I also try and keep pkgs in the first two sections. Just a faster way to deliver my last 60 stops or so. What works for one driver may not for another. We all have our own little ways of doing things.
I also always verify my air stops before I leave the center. It only takes a minute or two. Notify sups if one is missing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is why I was trying to be as respectful to upsguy as I could. I know that my experience is not the norm.

Yesterday we had late air and ground. The city drivers were allowed to leave and deliver for an hour or so. I was able to get 21 stops and 122 pkgs delivered before I had to come back. Only had to go back to 2 stops. I was dispatched with a light day so the double trip wasn't that big of a deal. I even had time to make two "same day" deliveries--delivery of pkgs that I picked up on area that were going to stops on area. Everything was loaded as PAL'd--no, it wasn't stop for stop, but close enough. Punched out at 1815 with 122 stops and 387 pkgs and 12 more miles due to the double trip.

This is not to say that there are days when I curse my preloader while on area but for the most part he does a very good job and I let him know, both with compliments and at Christmas. He is a runner and I paid his entry fee in to our local half marathon.

bigbrownhen

For the most part, you and I work the same. Our routes are very similar too. I have a 20 mile run to mine though. Not close to the center.

guinness413

yesterday i had 74 stops in the 6000 section,6 in the 7000 and zero in the 8000.....do you think my loader thought for himself and spread out the load?...