What to do with incompetent loader?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The problem I see with many preloaders is they do not know how to make a GOOD load, a sensible one, only "okay" to poor. Some of this has to do with training, some to do with ability, some to do with time allowances and questionable "plans"

I was trained is to take larger and irregular and put on floor space, smaller on shelves.

Place the higher numbers against the back floor (so 1999 and 2999 are most buried) and place the 1000-1500 and 2000-2500 etc in the middle on outside of wall, organized by company.

The one main problem as a FT driver was preloaders will put your 1300 stop buried underneath a 1800 section bulk stop, or 2000s in front of the 1000...or 6000 in front of 1000. LOL There is an "order of placement" , to some degree and application preloaders maybe should be trained to load like a driver, not a preloader.

menotyou

bella amicizia
What everyone is missing here is what isn't done any more. TRAINING!! They have taken the ability to think away from the loaders. Intentionally, I say.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On a not even closely related note, the Saturday air sup has called me twice for directions this morning. She knows that I like to spend Saturday mornings online. I knew 4 of the addresses but had to look up the 5th. It also turns out our Saturday driver locked his keys in the back of the PC at the airport with EAMs on the car. Glad I am not him come Monday morning.

menotyou

bella amicizia
One time at the airport, I was wearing a coat and has put the keys in the pocket of the coat. I came through the bulkhead door closing it as I went. The pocket of the coat(with the keys in it) shut inside the bulkhead and I was in the cab. I thought I was going to die!!! After about 2 of the longest minutes of my life, we dropped the corner of he coat and crowbarred the bottom of the door enough to get the coat out. All with my center manager and DM's permission. Talk about a heart attack!!

The mechanic easily fixed the bulkhead door.:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
One time at the airport, I was wearing a coat and has put the keys in the pocket of the coat. I came through the bulkhead door closing it as I went. The pocket of the coat(with the keys in it) shut inside the bulkhead and I was in the cab. I thought I was going to die!!! After about 2 of the longest minutes of my life, we dropped the corner of he coat and crowbarred the bottom of the door enough to get the coat out. All with my center manager and DM's permission. Talk about a heart attack!!

The mechanic easily fixed the bulkhead door.:happy-very:

At my first stop covering a route one day, I spun around stuck the key in the bulkhead door and twisted. It broke.

To make matters worse, it was the overhead door key. Now I had no way into the back of the PC.....

I was able to borrow some tools and open the door enough to slide a small screwdriver up to lift the locking latch.

Indecisi0n

I was way ahead of time one day and was asked to help another driver. I said sure as i was delivering my last package. I locked the keys in the back of the PC on the last stop. Needless to say i didn't end up helping the other driver.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I was way ahead of time one day and was asked to help another driver. I said sure as i was delivering my last package. I locked the keys in the back of the PC on the last stop. Needless to say i didn't end up helping the other driver.

Sounds like a good plan for next week, Oops.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Off topic but sorta related to bulkhead. Friday. I was Like yea, Fridays finally here. I'm gonna burn this route up like a super hero and get in early, It was a long week of issues.

Anywho, Different truck, every day I get a different truck.

Oh, I need a dolly, again. Got that out the way, kewl. Lets rock. Leave building and 2nd gear is popping out. A little irritating but I'll hold it in gear till I can bring it up to 3rd.

As soon as I exit the hub Gate the bulkhead door pops open. Crap. thinking I somehow didn't fully latch it.

Threw the whole of the day, Bulkhead would jiggle open 5-10 times between stops.

So for a few hours I was fighting to hold down in 2nd gear and elbowing the bulkhead back closed. Got real stressful and yep, I called office.

My keyless ignition failed and wouldn't respond. It wouldn't power down so I stalled the engine just to have truck ignition beebing away as a lady was waiting for me to make her delivery cause I was on the cell with mech. Ended up having to disable the keyless and use old school key, LoL.

1st gear getting harder to shift into and now 2nd gone completely. I struggled to get up enough speed to go from 1st to 3rd. Made for a slow move all day and meanwhile, bulkhead constantly flying open.

I call office and say I can't do this. I'm getting no were and it's not safe with bulkhead flying open and can't get up enough speed with fast moving intersections. No spare available. Switch out truck ### so we don't get reports. LoL.

You know how the pull chain on bulkhead for most trucks have a secondary lock at the top. Well they are removing them on all trucks so the auto bulk opens up. Well that is an issue with me cause if it was there it would of prevented my bulkhead from opening if it did unlatch.

Even without telematics, I don't want to drive around hazardously or unprofesionally with my bulkhead open, but to know that someone in another state completly is seeing this report that Backlasher is have 1000 bulkhead events is just humiliating and embarassing. It degrades my sence of integrety, and makes me look incompitant.

It was a very long friday.

Sorry didn't mean to interupt on your wedding. Are you gonna lock key inside bulkhead after the wedding??

A little on topic again, Have u ever had some 2000's in your 7000's. I have loader issues 2. How does that happen.

Lottery ticket,bring me home.

Last edited:

hdkappler

Either he can't read numbers or he is just incompetent. I an newer so I have no weight to throw around but this new guy loads like he is blind folded. Nothing is in ts right place even the airs which drives me nuts. I have said something to him about and no results. I talked the driver on the left of me and he says "this is the worst loaded I ever had in 20 years!" So I know I'm not crazy. Sucks. I don't want to get him in trouble but he is getting me in trouble. Late airs.
just request a new loader.if he gets canned to bad.a new loader might make your day better.

Re-Raise

I even had time to make two "same day" deliveries--delivery of pkgs that I picked up on area that were going to stops on area.

I have to tell you Dave I have never even considered doing this.

I check the service level of the packages I pick up in order to separate the air , but I never look at the address they are going to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to tell you Dave I have never even considered doing this.

I check the service level of the packages I pick up in order to separate the air , but I never look at the address they are going to.

The only time this happens is when the semester is about to start at the college I deliver to and the bookstore is sending out textbook orders. The folks at the college bookstore have learned about this new service offering and will separate any packages that are for the same zip code. I will then go through those and see if there are any that I can get rid of. I think my record was five in one day. BTW, my center manager hates it when I do this.

One of the first things I learned on this job was not to piss off the loader. They can make or break your day. I take care of them at Christmas and will occasionally bring them water. If the need arises I will give them suggestions and/or advice but stop short of criticizing.

Where in the contract does it say I have to "bribe" my loader at Christmas time to get a decent load? I cant find that page. As far as Im concerned,if youre hired as a loader,do your job and load. Otherwise,find a new career. Thats like saying I wont deliver your package to your house,Ill leave it at the house next door because you dont tip me. Give me a break,no wonder this countrys in a sh**load of trouble...........

Last edited: