What to do with incompetent loader?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where in the contract does it say I have to "bribe" my loader at Christmas time to get a decent load? I cant find that page. As far as Im concerned,if youre hired as a loader,do your job and load. Otherwise,find a new career. Thats like saying I wont deliver your package to your house,Ill leave it at the house next door because you dont tip me. Give me a break,no wonder this countrys in a sh**load of trouble...........

Wow...and people think I'm an *******.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Where in the contract does it say I have to "bribe" my loader at Christmas time to get a decent load? I cant find that page. As far as Im concerned,if youre hired as a loader,do your job and load. Otherwise,find a new career. Thats like saying I wont deliver your package to your house,Ill leave it at the house next door because you dont tip me. Give me a break,no wonder this countrys in a sh**load of trouble...........

If the loader does a good job if you give him tips then that means he is fully capable of doing a proper load. This pushes the case that he is able to and should load properly no matter if he is tiped or not. What then hold your load quality hostage to negociate tips.

I make half the full time wage while doing full time work during seasons. Should I expect a TIP in exchange for good ####'s?????

I do my job to the best of my ability and because I have a job. I can c problems with understaffed preload and letting people off early just to leave loads a mess and a big stack for us to load past our start time.

The tip I have is that UPS needs to insure we Prioritize Quaility over #'s. We need more quality loads and manpower to do this. It's a low wage position so what's the real excuse, they can't afford to fit more manpower in preload but have fulltimers loss time cause of load and try to say we stealling time. STUPID CRAP. The majority of reason is not preloader but what they do in screwing the preloader thereby screwing us.

hello brother, i share your frustration, i too have one of our well trained loaders loading my truck. touch all your air before you pull off the dock, if your missing any or they're not in reasonable location notify supervisor or center manager, if on road and cant find air, i was told check the 1000 shelf and flr, send message to bldg and move on. camera phones are also quite useful in theese arguments...

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
yesterday i had 74 stops in the 6000 section,6 in the 7000 and zero in the 8000.....do you think my loader thought for himself and spread out the load?...

That really is dispatches fault. A preloader only loads the car by the numbers, because spreading it out to other shelves might get us in trouble. Its either cramming the shelves, not getting in trouble for it. Or Spreading it out to other open shelves, having the driver complain about it and / or having some missed because of it, thus getting in trouble.

Suggest dispatch does their damn job and spread the load out the way it should be.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My EDD is about 98% perfect--my loader puts them pretty close to where they should be--my wheels only move forward..

Congratulations on your winning lottery ticket. Very few of the rest of us are so fortunate. I have a different truck, different park position and different loader every day. My EDD was written by a guy who couldnt find his own ass with both hands and a map. I can pull over and sort, or I can follow EDD and run out of fuel at midnight with business stops left on car. I choose to sort.

soberups

The reality is that 99% of preloaders are have been willfully and intentionally set up to fail by their management team.

Contrary to popular belief the preloader's job is not to load the correct packages into the correct car. His/her job is to manufacture whatever PPH metric is being demanded of him, by any means necessary.

Get the preloader off the clock; get the packages out of the building; cut enough routes to look good on the daily report and placate the idiots from IE; find a way to force the volume into whatever routes remain...and then find a way to hide the service failures and screw the customer out of a refund for the service they paid for and didnt get. Thats logistics. Thats UPS.

soberups

Are they just jerking with you by giving you a different truck every day?

No. Our building is overcrowded and has a bunch of jury-rigged MDU's for the routes that are loaded outside. Depending on volume fluctuations, not all of these MDU's are used on a daily basis. My route is the last car in my loop and gets moved from MDU to MDU according to the parking plan we are working with on a daily basis. I normally wind up with either a shop spare or a car that the shop completed repairs on after the rest of the cars were already spotted.