What to Do With On the Clock Free Time

MassWineGuy

It doesn’t happen often, but sometimes I’ve delivered everything and no pickup is ready for about an hour. They’re FXO stops so I can’t really get them early. I ask dispatch if anyone needs help. Usually no one does. Occasionally they find a new pup ready to get. Even then, I have time to kill.

According to two managers I asked, I’m not required to take a break. My new manager (he just became one) can’t really say what I should do. He suggested going back to the station. But why? I can only think of doing some required training, but I’m current until the end of October. I’m not lazy and I’ll do whatever needs doing. Sometimes, though, there appears that nothing needs to be done.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do?

HedleyLamarr

I will sometimes run errands. Grab a few things I know we need at the store. One thing I really enjoy doing is going to the bookstore and just browse through the shelves. Do you have a gym membership? I know of some people who go workout during their break or long gap times.

MassWineGuy

Oh, I do not feel guilty. But the other day I went to Trader Joe’s and when I was done for the day my manager saw me with the TJ bag. He commented that I was doing personal shopping on the clock. That’s when I asked “Well, what should I do?”

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I used to watch safety videos.
I was actually interested in winter driving and stuff like that videos the safety dept. had.

McFeely

Huge Member
I sometimes stopped by that lady’s house on my route that made the erotic videos, just to see if I could be an extra in one of her films.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I will sometimes run errands. Grab a few things I know we need at the store. One thing I really enjoy doing is going to the bookstore and just browse through the shelves. Do you have a gym membership? I know of some people who go workout during their break or long gap times.
They could, if they chose to, make a bit of a stink about that kind of stuff. It wouldn't be anything major but they could force an extra 30 minute break (COULD being the key word) if he wasn't already required to take a 60. Maybe they'd make him do some busy work or something. The last thing anyone should do is to look like they're doing personal stuff on the clock and draw attention to themselves.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You make a strong point, Dano. Seriously. I suppose I could always verify our vehicles’ paperwork to see if it’s current.
When I was an ops manager swings would smoke routes every now and then and have long waits for pickups to open. I never bothered them about it, just told them not to do anything crazy while on the clock and to stay within their route boundaries. The joke I usually told back then was that they should study the SRG.

Aquaman

It doesn’t happen often, but sometimes I’ve delivered everything and no pickup is ready for about an hour. They’re FXO stops so I can’t really get them early. I ask dispatch if anyone needs help. Usually no one does. Occasionally they find a new pup ready to get. Even then, I have time to kill.

According to two managers I asked, I’m not required to take a break. My new manager (he just became one) can’t really say what I should do. He suggested going back to the station. But why? I can only think of doing some required training, but I’m current until the end of October. I’m not lazy and I’ll do whatever needs doing. Sometimes, though, there appears that nothing needs to be done.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do?
Did you engineer the route, and then bid it? Then just run it.

MassWineGuy

No. Did I engineer the route? What, pray tell, do you mean?

Handle, I guess I now understand the meaning of your screen name.

McFeely, I’ve sometimes done that.