What UPS is doing to survive this bad economy

emmasdad

Happy I have a job? LOL!! UPS should be happy to have me. I have been a full-time driver since the mid 1980`s. Driver lay offs only mean OVERTIME for me!! UPS would rather have us seasoned drivers with over 20 years safe driving on the road anyway!!:peaceful:

LOL!! UPS should be happy to have you?? You think highly of yourself. In this day and age nobody is indispensable. Anyone with intelligence can deliver boxes. I spent 15 yrs with UPS ending in 2000 and I spent my time as a driver too. If you like OT then the layoffs are good for your wallet, but there is more to life than 14 hour days at work. Life has a way of keeping those of us in check when our egos take over. Watch out.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Nascar car fans are the movers and shakers of the world. I'm sure UPS stock would plummet without the advertising of that car. Good news is its so slow everyone can get a good look at it, so at least were getting our moneys worth.:greedy:
AND ITS NOT A SPORT!:biting:

The sponsorship and drivers go hand in hand. When Dale Jarrett was winning, UPS's logo was all over the place. You are a fool if you don't think that makes a difference. Everyone including non-Nascar fans saw our logo on TV, magazines, newspapers, internet, merchandising, etc. This year we changed teams and have a great young racer in Ragan who just missed the playoffs for the championship.

I was as dissapointed as most everyone was of the past 5 years or so. Seemed like an eternity. If the driver wins races and becomes famous, UPS gets a load of free advertising you can never buy. Do you really think I can picture Tony Stewart without a Home Depot logo ? How 'bout Jeff Gordon and DuPont? Jimmie Johnson and Lowes? UPS might have a great thing going with this new team. Also like I said, UPS not sponsoring Nascar will not raise the stock or put routes in your center, deal with it.

PS - Don't forget, we advertise on NFL broadcasts as well.

backinbrown

respect my authority
The sponsorship and drivers go hand in hand. When Dale Jarrett was winning, UPS's logo was all over the place. You are a fool if you don't think that makes a difference. Everyone including non-Nascar fans saw our logo on TV, magazines, newspapers, internet, merchandising, etc. This year we changed teams and have a great young racer in Ragan who just missed the playoffs for the championship.

I was as dissapointed as most everyone was of the past 5 years or so. Seemed like an eternity. If the driver wins races and becomes famous, UPS gets a load of free advertising you can never buy. Do you really think I can picture Tony Stewart without a Home Depot logo ? How 'bout Jeff Gordon and DuPont? Jimmie Johnson and Lowes? UPS might have a great thing going with this new team. Also like I said, UPS not sponsoring Nascar will not raise the stock or put routes in your center, deal with it.

PS - Don't forget, we advertise on NFL broadcasts as well.

Yes thank you heff

emmasdad

EMMASDAD

you wouldnt happen to be ross geller would you

LMAO!! Uh--no. (twitching my head to the side)

You couldn't think of any thing better than that??

All I see is people bitching and whining about what they feel they deserve (entitlement). It's a job and nothing more. And by the way, why are you provoking an argument? I said what I feel is the truth whether you like it or not. Obviously you only wish to read stuff that agrees with your comments. I thought people here were open minded? Maybe I had you wrong?

backinbrown

respect my authority
LMAO!! Uh--no. (twitching my head to the side)

You couldn't think of any thing better than that??

All I see is people bitching and whining about what they feel they deserve (entitlement). It's a job and nothing more. Nobody is forcing you to stay with UPS.

My wife is forcing me to stay

just kidding i love my job

i am gladd you got my joke i couldn't resist

emmasdad

I got the joke.. Did I tweak my head okay? :happy-very:

I know the drill with driving. I had two routes. I also know how bad the job market is outside of UPS. Fortunately I acquired skills after UPS that landed me a good job with a DoD contractor. I simply think some of us here are being a bit unrealistic about their beliefs. UPS is in better condition that many other companies are. I know it's a tough thing to stick it out because of the money and beni's, trust me I know. But from an outside point of view, consider yourself very lucky to not be one of those laid off and with stable employment. I wish everyone at UPS the best of fortune. God knows we all need it. I wish no ills on anyone. Have a good night.

tiegirl

tiegirl
Answer What UPS is doing to survive this bad economy

Ditto. Also, some big wigs came in to the preload and had a talk with the part time supes.........explaining to them that going union would be a bad move. Looks like UPS is worried about their own turning union due to Obama and the possible Card check. They were all told that since Obama is so tight with the unions that the Card Check may go thru. Also told them how it would be a bad move for UPS to have some of mgmt join the union ranks. a lot of ass kissing. Ayone hear of this???

As a non driver we were told that we were being told so we would know the truth about unions. UPS's position was to tell us not to vote for the union. That it would leave us with less choices than we have now. We were told that the operations side were members of the union however they did not want the business operations side members of the union. We were stunned. We thought an active process of solicting was taking place that prompted the meeting. Something is happening.

Raw

Raw Member
LOL!! UPS should be happy to have you?? You think highly of yourself. In this day and age nobody is indispensable. Anyone with intelligence can deliver boxes. I spent 15 yrs with UPS ending in 2000 and I spent my time as a driver too. If you like OT then the layoffs are good for your wallet, but there is more to life than 14 hour days at work. Life has a way of keeping those of us in check when our egos take over. Watch out.
Spent is the key word! Yeah, whatever! :happy-very:

kingOFchester

So maybe I'm a little dense, but how does management at any company unionize?
Judging by your post/posts, you have some time on your hands to do some research. But, to answer your question...NO at this point in time management can't unionize. "Kentucky river" will explain more. That said, Who appoints the member of the NLRB? Explains why UPS is now taking the step that I posted about. Remember, also that the definition of "statutory supervisors" can be dictated by the NLRB.
Also, your source on all of this is your brother-in-law who you really only spoke with briefly, assumed that the people that he was talking with were "big wigs" and from the sounds of it took a lot out of context. Is this about right?
Wrong. They were not his immediate supervisors. They were there from the district. I would call that a "big wig". Here again the definition could easily be interpreted differently.
Also, any company should be more concerned about Obama's Labor Secretary Pick than him.
So, you can see where "any company" would be smart to get the ground work started in trying to head off more union activity.
As for Obama himself, can you elaborate on any of these "promises"? Provide some links from reputable news outlets?
"Reputable news outlets".....now there is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Instead of quoting a "news outlet, let me present Obama in Philadelphia AFL-CIO convention.

[video=youtube;Xryv99Yu5gA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xryv99Yu5gA[/video]

OBAMA “We're ready to play offense for organized labor. It's time we had a president who didn't choke saying the word 'union.' A president who strengthens our unions by letting them do what they do best: organize our workers”
Take what you want from that speech!!
Are you also sure that what you are seeing isn't related to QPR talk withs or people getting ready for the merit increases? It could also be discussions on post-peak plans including lateral moves. It could be anything for that matter.
I would bet that there was other information presented at the meeting that had nothing to do with the topic at hand. But it was made very clear that UPS is taking steps to try and cut off any possible unionization of their "part time supervisors."
Your source is second hand and a bad secondhand source at that.
Oh, you know my brother in-law??? Please, tell me how you know him. Feel free to post his name here too!!

If you take nothing else from my post take this look up, read and understand the "Re-empowerment of Skilled and Professional Employees and Construction Tradesworkers Act' "
Co sponsered by Obama.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
i disagree nascar is a sport they go through alot in those cars

Try driving 500 miles at almost 200 mph 4 wide
Yeah! try driving 500 miles with a nagging wife and three screaming bored kids!

I kept making left hand turns, and it was so her side of the van would take the direct impact! J/k

UPAXED

Hey.....Look at me. I'm driving my family 500 miles to the beach as fast as I can......I'm an athlete.

I guess you would call cheerleading a sport also?:surprised:

moreluck

golden ticket member
"I guess you would call cheerleading a sport also?"

Upaxed....I actually caught a debate on TV yesterday where the subject was whether or not cheerleading was a contact sport. It was controversial because of severe spinal injuries & death incurred by today's cheerleaders.