What was it like the last time a contract rolled around

kramer

Does every contract year feel like this or is this just a special year? What was it like during this time during the previous contract, like talks of striking or things that were up for negotiation that were or were not met

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You guys stop that? Just because someone disappears, it does not automatically equate to homicide.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
20180501_140817.jpg

DriverNerd

No, it was not like this at all. But it was a very different time. We were in (or coming out of) a recession, so both sides were very prepared and willing to have this contract ratified as soon and early as possible. They started the negotiations almost a year early and had it almost ratified well before the contract was up. The only holdout was Louisville because of their excess wait time to get to work and not being compensated (which to me seems like a valid complaint), they kept voting it down. Hoffa and company pushed the contract through even though Louisville didn't vote for the contract.

Staydryitsraining

I dont remember the word strike being used as much as it is this time. The company every contract tries to convey that there isnt money for this or that. More routes cut because stops need to be up bla bla bla.

oldupsman

I can tell you this from experience in 97. From reading all the posts on here it has very much the same
feel now as it did then. It really wasn't about the money. Guys were just generally angry about the
every day operation. And guys really wanted to go on strike just to shove it in UPS's face. It was more
of an emotional decision than rational.

I can tell you this from experience in 97. From reading all the posts on here it has very much the same
feel now as it did then. It really wasn't about the money. Guys were just generally angry about the
every day operation. And guys really wanted to go on strike just to shove it in UPS's face. It was more
That and the take it or leave it concession loaded contract that was offered. A strike was inevitable in 1997. Let's hope UPS can remember that lesson.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Last contract was all "VOTE NO! VOTE NO!!!" but if you asked someone why they were voting no they didn't know and it was because another guy did and if you asked that guy, he didn't know either but his buddy in small sort told him to.

Johney

That and the take it or leave it concession loaded contract that was offered. A strike was inevitable in 1997. Let's hope UPS can remember that lesson.
I remember it having more to do with UPS wanting to take over the pension plan and the Teamsters wanting more full-time jobs. Finally being allowed to go back to work and vote only after UPS agreed to create more friend/t jobs(22.3?)and give up fighting for the pension fund. Only to buy out CS down the road.

brown_trousers

I wasnt here in 97. But from what i read, UPS was pushing for;
-Shifting full time work to part time
-Subcontracting out most of our work
-HMOs for healthcare
-performance based raises

Ill admit that our current situation isnt really strong, but it completely fails in comparison to the situation in 97

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I remember right before the strike the union refused to send the company's "last best and final offer" to the members for a vote, so the company printed up handouts with the highlights and had the center manager's at my building giving them out. I wish I'd saved one but off the top of my head what I remember was they wanted a 7 year contract with raises every other year (.70 I think) supplemented by profit sharing. Not sure how the profit sharing was supposed to work but the idea was that drivers would now be directly invested in the financial success of the company and would presumably be more motivated to be productive, get sales leads, etc.

I remember right before the strike the union refused to send the company's "last best and final offer" to the members for a vote, so the company printed up handouts with the highlights and had the center manager's at my building giving them out. I wish I'd saved one but off the top of my head what I remember was they wanted a 7 year contract with raises every other year (.70 I think) supplemented by profit sharing. Not sure how the profit sharing was supposed to work but the idea was that drivers would now be directly invested in the financial success of the company and would presumably be more motivated to be productive, get sales leads, etc.
I think they were wanting the FedEx Ground model. Drivers buying or leasing their package cars and being paid by how much volume they pick up or deliver.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Does every contract year feel like this or is this just a special year? What was it like during this time during the previous contract, like talks of striking or things that were up for negotiation that were or were not met

A bunch of stupid threads pop up at contract time started by people you never see again once the contract is settled.

tentative contract now online

Found an old thread from ‘07 about contract updates. Crazy that some of the same issues we complain about today are talked about here, over ten years ago. Also crazy that said issues were apparent only ten years after a strike actually took place.