What was the latest you have punched out as a package driver.

reydluap

In the early 80's during peak, it wasn't uncommon at all to have a 7:30am start time and then be checking out at 1am or after the next morning. It about killed us, but most of the 30 some drivers were working the same type of hours, so we didn't complain. We just sucked it up and delivered. It only lasted a few days or so and things went back to normal. Just another day at the office......

oldngray

nowhere special
In the early 80's during peak, it wasn't uncommon at all to have a 7:30am start time and then be checking out at 1am or after the next morning. It about killed us, but most of the 30 some drivers were working the same type of hours, so we didn't complain. We just sucked it up and delivered. It only lasted a few days or so and things went back to normal. Just another day at the office......

Peak was awful then but only at Christmas. Not like near peak volume year round. I didn't mind those long December nights knowing that it was only for a couple of weeks, then things would return to normal. The new normal is abnormal.

overallowed

First peak season in 1984, demanded by center mgr to go out with 120 stops in unfamiliar area at 8pm, after finishing my route. No map. In at 1:30 am. He had smoke coming out his ears, and he was gone the next day, word was, they called him to Greenwich CT. Either the 10 hr rule wasn't in effect then, or they ignored it, as I was back later that morning at 9. Never got off that late in pkg ever again.

wornoutupser

My second peak in 1986 I was still delivering at 2:00 AM on a 830 AM start time. I have one of "those runs" now that gets a 11 hr dispatch near daily.......what changed??

ocnewguy

what exactly can you do out at these times like 10pm or 2 in the morning? you cant knock on someones door in the middle of the night can you?

U

uber

what exactly can you do out at these times like 10pm or 2 in the morning? you cant knock on someones door in the middle of the night can you?

I know, right? I wonder if a drivers ever been shot for being mistaken as a burglar because they were delivering at some obscene time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

No, you cant.

At that point, it is no longer about "service" (if it ever was) and instead its about trying to prevent missed packages from showing up and making the center team look bad on the report. Although technically, if we deliver a package after midnight then its a service failure anyway because it is actually being delivered the day after it was dispatched.

No rational person or business entity can justify knocking on someone's door at 2:00 AM (or midnight, or even 9:00PM for that matter) in order to make "service" on a package. Any dispatch "plan" that has drivers making deliveries at such times is a failed plan and needs to be exposed as such by forcing those who implemented it to eat the service failures on the daily report. Otherwise, the illusion is created that the plan actually worked and they will therefore continue making such stupid decisions.

Dealing with management at this company is, unfortunately, a lot like dealing with a dog that pisses on your carpet. If you catch the dog in the act you can yell at them and smack them and rub their nose in the piss and they might stop the behavior for a little while at least, but they are stubborn and sooner or later for some strange reason they will revert to old behavior and start pissing on that same spot again. The sooner you catch them and rub their nose in it, the more you will be able to get them to pee someplace else. If you ingore the behavior for any length of time they will very quickly ruin the carpet and the flooring beneath.

oldupsman

My second peak in 1986 I was still delivering at 2:00 AM on a 830 AM start time. I have one of "those runs" now that gets a 11 hr dispatch near daily.......what changed??

So true, Back in the 80's punching out at 1100 P.M. to midnight during peak wasn't all that unusual. My latest was 12:20 A.M.

FilingBluesFL

I know, right? I wonder if a drivers ever been shot for being mistaken as a burglar because they were delivering at some obscene time.

I had to deliver to a 2 story apartment building at about 9pm one night, Dell Computer, sig. required. Knocked once, nada. knocked twice, still nothing, all of a sudden the door flies open, and on the other side is a spanish non-english speaking lady holding her kid in one arm, and had a carpenters hammer in the other raised above her head ready to bash my head in.

Luckily she was nice enough not to swing.

I remember "back in the day" before all the new stricter DOT rules, we used to see who would get off earliest christmas eve, due to being out so late.

One guy went for YEARS as being the first one to go home due to running out of hours... I beat him by 4 minutes one year. I was proud of myself.

tejano408

I have punched out at 2230 several times a couple at peak the others on normal days for the last three years I have hit 60hrs a week one week I went over by 10 minutes and as a pkg driver over 100k

Logb17

10:17pm the friday before christmas this year. We are instructed to sheet any packages as missed at 9:45 and head back.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Back in the late 80's i was delivering in Ryder Rental in a very tight neighborhood of cluster homes at 11 pm, and i noticed this helicopter was over head,and it wasnt really moving.I didnt think much of it as i still had 20 stops left. I went into a cul de sac,made the delivery and 4 police cars came roaring up and the cops got out of the cars,pistols drawn and told me to lay on the ground.
A resident had seen the Ryder going house -to-house and thought i was either stealing or casing houses. The police checked the truck,saw my uniform and told me i was done for the night. One of the cops asked me was i stupid or something for delivering so late