What will happen to the express Drivers....

fatboy33

When Ground takes over Express, will any original express drivers be retained for FO and P1? If so, how will it be determined? By seniority or by last hired? I was talking to one courier. He said, if they offer him a position as a ground driver, he'd take it then start his express pension. He says ground drivers aren't fedex employees so starting his pension won't be an issue.. at 60, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe retire and put my 401k into a CD and take the 5 percent, start my pension and if I feel like working somewhere else, then go.

bacha29

When Ground takes over Express, will any original express drivers be retained for FO and P1? If so, how will it be determined? By seniority or by last hired? I was talking to one courier. He said, if they offer him a position as a ground driver, he'd take it then start his express pension. He says ground drivers aren't fedex employees so starting his pension won't be an issue.. at 60, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe retire and put my 401k into a CD and take the 5 percent, start my pension and if I feel like working somewhere else, then go.
Better get your life insurance paid up because dragging ground freight around at that age could cut about 10 years off your life.
First get a look at the kind of stolen LTL freight you'll be expected to try to muscle around on your own to see how long you think you could withstand the physical beating.

The reason I say that is because the job is an absolute joint killer. Finding a job that will be easier on 60 year old joints might be a better option.

Thebrownblob

This is happening? That’s crazy.

It will be fine

There is no 60 year old former Express driver that will be offered a job by a Ground contractor. It would be hard to find a worse fit for the job.

zeev

Express drivers need to go to Amazon or some other delivery company. I have seen Ground drivers left with car parts strapped to pallets and had no idea how they managed to load anything. In my area Express drivers seniority measured in years , Ground divers seniority measured in days.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There is no 60 year old former Express driver that will be offered a job by a Ground contractor. It would be hard to find a worse fit for the job.
While I agree with this for most 60 year old Express couriers, there are still some who don’t know how to slow down. Plus, if nothing else, you know they’ll come to work every day and be on time.

It will be fine

What could’ve been……. 😔

Unfortunately, the government, allowing FedEx to stay in the railway act, made it nearly impossible.

Lol. Yup we’ve seen how well the teamsters organized the Freight division that is not covered by the RLA. That darn Gobernment!

It will be fine

While I agree with this for most 60 year old Express couriers, there are still some who don’t know how to slow down. Plus, if nothing else, you know they’ll come to work every day and be on time.
The old man in a rental van that I see delivering for Express most days around here moves at a pace that would make my routes take 16 hours at least. He has no sense of urgency, but that’s what I expect from hourly workers. Just showing up isn’t enough, especially these days with the rates we’re getting.

bacha29

The old man in a rental van that I see delivering for Express most days around here moves at a pace that would make my routes take 16 hours at least. He has no sense of urgency, but that’s what I expect from hourly workers. Just showing up isn’t enough, especially these days with the rates we’re getting.
All coming from the 7 time winner of the prestigious Sharecropper Of The Year Trophy. Theses guys don't pay by the hour .They pay by the stop and box.

Many are the descendants of Deep South plantation owners who following the Civil War paid former slaves by the acre and bale.
Their descendants such a IWBF pay by the stop and box. Different commodity....Same heavy lifting and bad working conditions.

They then go to church on Sunday and pay the preacher to reaffirm their self righteousness.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
All coming from the 7 time winner of the prestigious Sharecropper Of The Year Trophy. Theses guys don't pay by the hour .They pay by the stop and box.

Many are the descendants of Deep South plantation owners who following the Civil War paid former slaves by the acre and bale.
Their descendants such a IWBF pay by the stop and box. Different commodity....Same heavy lifting and bad working conditions.

They then go to church on Sunday and pay the preacher to reaffirm their self righteousness.
🤣 You must get paid by the word.

bacha29

This is happening? That’s crazy.
You have no idea as to the kind of barbarism going on at FDX. UPS would be the same way if not for the Teamsters standing and saying, "not here".

Problem with the Teamsters today is that it's gun shy, I called out my state AFL-CIO president over the fact that the AFL-CIO is too chicken to get down in the dirty street fights from which organized labor emerged a century ago.

Sure you'll hear from time to time of a few minor victories in places such as Amazon and Starbucks. Those came about from the efforts of a very small number of employees employed there. The AFL-CIO was simply the cheerleader.

That state AFL-CIO president admitted the fact that private sector employers have counter measures that public sector employers don't have.

Explains why only about 12% of US workers are under a union labor contract.

Thebrownblob

You have no idea as to the kind of barbarism going on at FDX. UPS would be the same way if not for the Teamsters standing and saying, "not here".

Problem with the Teamsters today is that it's gun shy, I called out my state AFL-CIO president over the fact that the AFL-CIO is too chicken to get down in the dirty street fights from which organized labor emerged a century ago.

Sure you'll hear from time to time of a few minor victories in places such as Amazon and Starbucks. Those came about from the efforts of a very small number of employees employed there. The AFL-CIO was simply the cheerleader.

That state AFL-CIO president admitted the fact that private sector employers have counter measures that public sector employers don't have.

Explains why only about 12% of US workers are under a union labor contract.
In the early 2000s I remember trying to help begin to organize FedEx express. The organizers that came from the international were talking to Xpress drivers telling them eventually FedEx Ground would swallow up their jobs. Most of them did not believe it.

Was probably a moot point, since the Railway act makes it nearly impossible.

I also remember Teamsters writing letters to the Obama administration to remove FedEx from the Railway act. We thought they would do it, we thought we had a partner. We were wrong.

Teamsters also removed themself from AFL-CIO affiliation

bacha29

In the early 2000s I remember trying to help begin to organize FedEx express. The organizers that came from the international were talking to Xpress drivers telling them eventually FedEx Ground would swallow up their jobs. Most of them did not believe it.

I also remember Teamsters writing letters to the Obama administration to remove FedEx from the Railway act. We thought they would do it, we thought we had a partner. We were wrong.

As a result FDX has become a poor place to work and for anyone thinking about becoming an FXG contractor there are many more secure and more predictable places to invest your money.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

But the Democrats are for the working man!! 🤣

dezguy

When I first started, many years ago, ground has just recently moved into Canada. I remember telling a few co workers that ground would eventually absorb express. They all laughed and said Fred would never allow that, express was his baby.

They had all been with the company when the company valued its employees. Many of them are still blind to what's coming down the track.