What would happen to our pensions with a dissolving of a Teamster/UPS contract?

qdg2

Would there be a dissolving and lump sums? Divide it up among recipients? There would be no more contributions by the company...right?

Companies come and go. I believe ours(I'm retired but have a vested interest) will too. At least as we know it.

I never really see this discussed.

I've been shouted down many times: "They can't just do that..." Oh, they can and will.

This is a very dangerous time for UPS and us.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Would there be a dissolving and lump sums? Divide it up among recipients? There would be no more contributions by the company...right?

Companies come and go. I believe ours(I'm retired but have a vested interest) will too. At least as we know it.

I've been shouted down many times: "They can't just do that..." Oh, they can and will.

E.R.I.S.A….:its_all_good:

rod

Retired 22 years
Haven't you heard---Nothing in life is guaranteed---except death and taxes. Even if the contract passes.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Do you know how Google the information is available
Go find it

DELACROIX

You are talking about a permanent “closed shop scenario”. If it happens your accred pension benefits are protected, the Company can quit their monetary contributions but still have to financially maintain those already vested in their plans. They cannot quit paying their current retirees or reduce their retirement benefits even if they go bankrupt. If the unthinkable happens all those members’ vested pension credits are locked in place till they reach the NRA (normal retirement age) usually age 65. You will get that financial benefit even if the Company is no longer in business.

ERISA law prohibits corporations or organizations from stealing any assets that are in an individual employee’s pension trust. The Employee Benefit Security Administration (EBSA)
has authority to investigate and if need prosecute any fiduciary or plan administrator found guilty of pension fraud or embezzlement.

So sleep well…

Last edited:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Why would the company go when you keep supplying them with free handcarts?

qdg2

You are talking about a permanent “closed shop scenario”. If it happens your accred pension benefits are protected, the Company can quit their monetary contributions but still have to financially maintain those already vested in their plans. They cannot quit paying their current retirees or reduce their retirement benefits even if they go bankrupt. If the unthinkable happens all those members’ vested pension credits are locked in place till they reach the NRA (normal retirement age) usually age 65. You will get that financial benefit even if the Company is no longer in business.

ERISA law prohibits corporations or organizations from stealing any assets that are in an individual employee’s pension trust. The Employee Benefit Security Administration (EBSA)
has authority to investigate and if need prosecute any fiduciary or plan administrator found guilty of pension fraud or embezzlement.

So sleep well…
Locked in place till 65.....flesh that out please.

So, pension plans go reduced all the time. UPS/IBT is different? What about all those plans in "trouble"?

Say, UPS gets sold to Amazon(quite possible).....then Amazon freezes new members and pays us till we die? Serious question. What about "restructuring of the plan to lump sums and such...to 401k's?

BTW, I don't think it is "unthinkable".

qdg2

So sleep well…
and yet.....
Haven't you heard---Nothing in life is guaranteed---except death and taxes. Even if the contract passes.

So, pension plans go reduced all the time. UPS/IBT is different? What about all those plans in "trouble"?

Say, UPS gets sold to Amazon(quite possible).....then Amazon freezes new members and pays us till we die? Serious question. What about "restructuring of the plan to lump sums and such...to 401k's?

Seriously? How can you be so obtuse?

Johney

Why in the hell would Amazon spend billions buying UPS? They already have their own infrastructure, maybe 10 years ago no sense in that now.

DELACROIX

Why in the hell would Amazon spend billions buying UPS? They already have their own infrastructure, maybe 10 years ago no sense in that now.

Not to mention FDX would be a smarter purchase.

If Amazon bought out UPS they would still have to deal with the Teamsters’ Unions. So it ain’t going to happen, more of a possibility of UPS buying out Amazon which is plausible in the future.

qdg2

If Amazon bought out UPS they would still have to deal with the Teamsters’ Unions. So it ain’t going to happen, more of a possibility of UPS buying out Amazon which is plausible in the future.
Just have to deal with the unions once.
More like just buy the pieces.