What Would Jefferson Say?

wkmac

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUU3yCy3uI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The guy dancing and gets body slammed is former marine and Iraq veteran Adam Kokesh. I guess our heroes are only heroes until they dance in public at the Jefferson Memorial.

av8torntn

"I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive. "TJ:dont_know:

I think we all know he would be sickened.

I saw this a couple days ago. I really think the cop that took down the last guy was extremely lucky he was not a violent protester. I would have dislocated his shoulder when he grabbed me. It seems obvious they wanted to get detained and I suppose they have the freedom to get detained if that's really what they want but it is very sad that it is so easy to be detained in a "free" country.

av8torntn

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock."-TJ

An elective despotism was not the government we fought for. -TJ

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him. -TJ

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.-TJ

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUU3yCy3uI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The guy dancing and gets body slammed is former marine and Iraq veteran Adam Kokesh. I guess our heroes are only heroes until they dance in public at the Jefferson Memorial.
Being a hero doesn't give one the right to break the law.Or is your point that the law they were violating a stupid law and a protest was important?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have mixed feelings about this clip. The minute you 'mouth off' to cops (real ones or rent-a-cop), you're in trouble. I also don't like the cops who are so 'power drunk' they carry things too far. There's got to be a happy medium somewhere.
I think a better definition of "demonstration" is needed. I can kind of see both sides.

bbsam

Staff member
First off, being a former high school wrestler, I can tell you that wasn't much of a take down and the choke hold pretty pathetic. As far as the incident as a whole, I commend the demonstrators for their non-violent protest in the spirit of Ghandi, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Nelson Mandela.

moreluck

golden ticket member
First off, being a former high school wrestler, I can tell you that wasn't much of a take down and the choke hold pretty pathetic. As far as the incident as a whole, I commend the demonstrators for their non-violent protest in the spirit of Ghandi, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Nelson Mandela.
But supposedly, they weren't demonstrating anything....they were dancing.

bbsam

Staff member
I think their non-violent refusal to submit to ridiculous law enforcement demands became a worthy demonstration.

wkmac

"In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock."-TJ

An elective despotism was not the government we fought for. -TJ

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him. -TJ

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.-TJ

Good quotes AV!
:thumbup1:

I think their non-violent refusal to submit to ridiculous law enforcement demands became a worthy demonstration.
The law the officers were attempting to enforce may indeed be ridiculous, but their duty is to enforce the law. From what I could tell the officer was doing his duty in a very calm manner until the morons would not comply. If this was an actual demonstration they need a permit to do so. Evidently they didn't have one, which would make any demonstration illegal. If they were just wanting to make a statement, they accomplished their goal and can now pay their fines coming their way.

bbsam

Staff member
The law the officers were attempting to enforce may indeed be ridiculous, but their duty is to enforce the law. From what I could tell the officer was doing his duty in a very calm manner until the morons would not comply. If this was an actual demonstration they need a permit to do so. Evidently they didn't have one, which would make any demonstration illegal. If they were just wanting to make a statement, they accomplished their goal and can now pay their fines coming their way.
Agreed. Note that I said nothing about the officers. Nothing "Rodney King" like about this. Nothing "David Koresh" like. Nothing "Ruby Ridge" like.

tourists24

Why should liking him have anything to do with it?
curiosity I guess.... I suppose in the bigger picture it doesnt matter. But in all honesty, I like to be able to figure people out as much as I can. Sometimes you can understand their motivation whether you agree with em or not

av8torntn

If this was an actual demonstration they need a permit to do so. Evidently they didn't have one, which would make any demonstration illegal.

I was under the impression it was not possible to get a permit to demonstrate at the monuments and all demonstrations were illegal.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

They sure looked peaceable to me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think they failed to comply when they were told something by a cop. You can think the cop is wrong, but you better do what they say. Sue later.