What would you consider as age harrassment

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Does it happen when you are 40?
Does it happen if someone calls you Gramps?
Does it happen when someone mentions you hair is greying?
Most of these things we would laugh off. Its life.
What are some things that would be a sign to you at any workplace that they want you gone.

PT Car Washer

What are some things that would be a sign to you at any workplace that they want you gone.
I was in my prime in my 40's. I guess when they lighten up my load because I can no longer perform to UPS expectations I would consider that age discrimination.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I honestly only think it's when UPS tries to get rid of you because you are slowing down. Calling someone old timer, or gramps isn't disrespectful. That is just my opinion. I see it as a good thing. Calling someone old timer, is sort of like acknowledging them as being a veteran, and that they know the ins and outs and have long paid their dues.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I honestly only think it's when UPS tries to get rid of you because you are slowing down. Calling someone old timer, or gramps isn't disrespectful. That is just my opinion. I see it as a good thing. Calling someone old timer, is sort of like acknowledging them as being a veteran, and that they know the ins and outs and have long paid their dues.
I agree with that. I call the old guys, old timers its a friendly acknowledgment.

rod

Retired 22 years
You can't hurt my feelings anymore. The day I turned 50 and my wife razzed me about being able to get a senior discount at Perkins was the one time I felt "old". Now I take advantage of every discount I can get.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

We have a driver in my center everybody calls Grandpa (insert name here). I always felt uncomfortable calling him that out of respect until one day he introduced himself to a new sorter as that. I asked him if he minded and he laughed and said "I have grandkids your age!" Whenever he comes in he gives whoever unloaded his truck and whoever washed his truck last candy. During peak he would bring cookies in for all the sorters too. You wouldn't want to not be a PTer and have your hand on the cookie plate.

I guess now that I think about it, he really is kind of like a work grandpa to all of us.

specter208

We have a driver in my center everybody calls Grandpa (insert name here). I always felt uncomfortable calling him that out of respect until one day he introduced himself to a new sorter as that. I asked him if he minded and he laughed and said "I have grandkids your age!" Whenever he comes in he gives whoever unloaded his truck and whoever washed his truck last candy. During peak he would bring cookies in for all the sorters too. You wouldn't want to not be a PTer and have your hand on the cookie plate.

I guess now that I think about it, he really is kind of like a work grandpa to all of us.
Sounds like a cool guy. The PTers sound like children.

oldngray

nowhere special
forum-trolls.jpeg

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Do you feel the company.... is trying to "force" you out....

Because of your age, or physical conditioning ?

-Bug-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I saw a driver age discriminate against a helper once. The poor older gentleman was right behind him.

The driver yelled at management. Grandpa isn't going with me he will just slow me down.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I saw a driver age discriminate against a helper once. The poor older gentleman was right behind him.

The driver yelled at management. Grandpa isn't going with me he will just slow me down.
Oh, wow....not cool. The ethics of older generations would outweigh a lot of what younger ones could bring to the table.

HardknocksUPSer

At my center a young black driver was given a older black gentleman as a helper for Christmas, the driver told the helper "homeboy you goina have to run so we can both go home" the old gentleman replied " my days of runnin are long gone homie" made my day lol