What would you do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And yet I have seen tracers/DFUs generated on packages that did have a signature.

As have I. The point I was trying to make is I have never had a negative DFU on a package that I have physically handed to a person. The type of person who files a claim would most likely also file one even if they had signed for it.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have found that mentioning that we would get the local police involved if necessary tends to jog people's memory.

That has turned 2 follow ups for me into positives. There was 2 though that it did not change. I know what happened in both cases. 1 was an honest mistake that the cnee did not want to admit to, the other was just a thief.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That has turned 2 follow ups for me into positives. There was 2 though that it did not change. I know what happened in both cases. 1 was an honest mistake that the cnee did not want to admit to, the other was just a thief.

At that point they have to sign for each and every delivery.

Yeah, I know, why not have them sign in the first place? In 99.44% of the cases a signature is not necessary.

barnyard

KTM rider
I make sure I get signatures for all Victoria Secret pkgs........Just sayin

Way back when I was a Saturday air driver, I had a package from bikini.com. I thought, "Anyone that needs to have a bikini on a Saturday, I NEED a signature."

I should have knocked, dropped and ran. The fantasy was mucho better than reality.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. In the scenario described, I would hand the packages to the customer rather than leaving them sitting on the ground for the customer to bend over and pick up.

2. Since it is the driver who will be accused of failing to follow proper DR methods and the driver who will be defending his decision at a grievance hearing if the customer files a claim and the company attempts to make him/her pay for the lost package, it is therefore up to the driver to decide whether or not to release a given package without obtaining a signature. The company cannot have it both ways.

3. As a general rule I will try to scan the package while walking, but if the package is large or awkward or has a partially obscured bar code this may not always be possible. Sometimes I will scan it in the car; sometimes I will wait until I am at the customers door. It all depends upon the particular circumstance.

4. The multitude of "methods" for doing our job have been carefully designed by the company so that by following one you automatically violate another. The goal is to create a scenario in which the employee is always at fault and can be blamed when something goes wrong. Heads they win, tails you lose.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
1. In the scenario described, I would hand the packages to the customer rather than leaving them sitting on the ground for the customer to bend over and pick up.

2. Since it is the driver who will be accused of failing to follow proper DR methods and the driver who will be defending his decision at a grievance hearing if the customer files a claim and the company attempts to make him/her pay for the lost package, it is therefore up to the driver to decide whether or not to release a given package without obtaining a signature. The company cannot have it both ways.

3. As a general rule I will try to scan the package while walking, but if the package is large or awkward or has a partially obscured bar code this may not always be possible. Sometimes I will scan it in the car; sometimes I will wait until I am at the customers door. It all depends upon the particular circumstance.

4. The multitude of "methods" for doing our job have been carefully designed by the company so that by following one you automatically violate another. The goal is to create a scenario in which the employee is always at fault and can be blamed when something goes wrong. Heads they win, tails you lose.

more like......tails they win.....in any scenario the company is right. There is no such thing as beating the "no win" scenario. Any one recall the Kobayashi Maru?[h=3][/h]

UPSGUY72

That not what he said he said anytime he has contact with a customer he gets a signature whether it a good DR address or not.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
1) Get package/s (no scanning in car) you should have checked your edd while returning from last stop, (know your next 3 delivery stops, call tag, p/u or dfu - "Next 5 stops"), you did move your work into 30" selection area right?

2) 3 point of contact out the front or back of truck.

3) Scan if you can... while walking to location you are going to leave the package.

4) Customer greets you...hand customer package (say something nice), record as DR MC.

5) Move out without delay.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)

more like......tails they win.....in any scenario the company is right. There is no such thing as beating the "no win" scenario. Any one recall the Kobayashi Maru?[h=3][/h]

Isn't that from the newest Star Trek movie?

kingOFchester

As I have stated before, this is what I was asked to do by my superiors. When I have had my ride alongs, this is what I do. Until I am instructed to do other wise I will continue.

CAFAL

Grab signature and hand the boxes. I was instructed by a center manager several years ago to get signature whenever I have contact with a customer. This was after another driver sheeted a package as MCM and the package went missing. Even if I didn't get signature, I would hand the packages.

You get more time allowance if you get a sig

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Isn't that from the newest Star Trek movie?
The Kobayashi Maru is deeply rooted in Star Trek lore. It is a test but the rules change so there is no chance to win the scenario.

Every event that we face everyday as drivers presents us with a no win. Whether it be that we make the best possible choice considering the circumstances, there will be instances where it will be a no win. The customer did not like the fact that we DRd to the front porch and called in a concern even though there was a huge fierce dog at the side door where the customer wanted the package because it "might" rain. Or the fact that we blocked the alley while making a delivery and some one decided to drive on the sidewalk to get around us and damaged their car on our rear bumper. Or there was that meteor that fell from the sky and landed on our package car. Whatever it was or is.....it is our fault....

barnyard

KTM rider
Pretty sure with edd this is non existent anymore.

It is for me.

I was told after we launched EDD/PAS in my center, my boss told me how much less time I had each day. "That's my set up time." I said. "You no longer need to set up, just follow EDD."

That works with well-defined business areas, but not so well on rural routes.

Except the route I am covering now. The guy that does the route and helped set up EDD did a brilliant job of it. I am usually 95% on trace. I rarely touch a package until I am grabbing it to deliver. Fell off a shelf?? I leave it. Pull up and fine sort?? Nope. I go by the board and what it tells me. I get burned every now and then, get to a stop and the package is not there, but that does not happen very often and not often enough to justify changing. I do not run or race or any of that and am typically .5-1.1 under.

I now shut down every day at 1400 for lunch and coffee. Sit for an hour, enjoy the company of the hot barista and unwind.

I am really liking the route I am on now. I like it almost more than the route I covered for 4 years before I went on comp. That route had rurals that defied a smart EDD. Running it all depended on who had what. No way to do a good EDD for that. Doing that route well means going in back and setting up what was there, more than 8 stops in advance.

barnyard

KTM rider
Thinking a bit about my current route. The reason it works so well with EDD is the reason most people hate it. It is a lakes/vacation area. Because of the lakes, the area is not laid out in a nice grid. You do a big loop around the lakes and drive down a road to do a delivery and drive right back out the same road to the next delivery. Sometimes, you have to drive to the very end of a lake road, but sometimes, they are all right off the loop. Easy, peasy. Anyways, it boggles me mind how often I run those rurals 100% on trace. I have never seen another rural route like it.