What would you do?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Our building is creating a new satellite center by moving several routes to one centralized area. Some are following the work and will have to commute 30-40 minutes to the new satellite. Some are not, and staying at the current building going back into the cover / swing pool. My country route is one that is also being moved. I will also have the commute now if I keep the route. Once we go with the work, we will no longer be able to go back to the building we are in now and will not be able to bid any job here or leave our route(s) unless we terminate and start over.

Pros:
Will still have my own country route
Own truck still
Know where I will be everyday and not part of the swing pool running 300 stops or 30 stops
Won't have to deal with the BS at the current center as there will only be a few of us at the satellite
Will have the highest seniority at new satellite

Cons:
Will have to commute 30-40 minutes
Will have to load own truck
Bids are for life so no hope of getting another route
Possibly later start time
Would no longer be able to bid routes / jobs at current center

quad decade guy

Our building is creating a new satellite center by moving several routes to one centralized area. Some are following the work and will have to commute 30-40 minutes to the new satellite. Some are not, and staying at the current building going back into the cover / swing pool. My country route is one that is also being moved. I will also have the commute now if I keep the route. Once we go with the work, we will no longer be able to go back to the building we are in now and will not be able to bid any job here or leave our route(s) unless we terminate and start over.

Pros:
Own truck still
Know where I will be everyday and not part of the swing pool running 300 stops or 30 stops
Won't have to deal with the BS at the current center as there will only be a few of us at the satellite

Cons:
My experience: nothing is for "Life". What if they close your satellite center all together? Are you layed off? I'd get this in writing. Are you saying your route CAN'T change? Ever? I have never heard language like this EVER. Lastly, things change. And will. If you think the satellite center will NEVER CHANGE FOR LIFE and you like it......go for it.

scooby0048

My experience: nothing is for "Life". What if they close your satellite center all together? Are you layed off? I'd get this in writing. Are you saying your route CAN'T change? Ever? I have never heard language like this EVER. Lastly, things change. And will. If you think the satellite center will NEVER CHANGE FOR LIFE and you like it......go for it.
We don't re-bid routes. I suppose at some point this could change but so far in the last 20 or so years, it hasn't. If the satellite closed we could return to the current building or find other centers to dovetail into but again, this has not happened in the last 20 years or so but I'm not going to be here that long so if it does...good for them.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We don't re-bid routes. I suppose at some point this could change but so far in the last 20 or so years, it hasn't. If the satellite closed we could return to the current building or find other centers to dovetail into but again, this has not happened in the last 20 years or so but I'm not going to be here that long so if it does...good for them.

My questions:
Are there routes or jobs at your current center you'd like to bid on?

With possible later start time and loading your own car, are you looking at later nights followed by the longer drive home?

Est.1998

Pros:
Own truck still

Cons:
If you're loading your own truck, shouldn't your start time be earlier?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
1h20 unpaid to get and come back from work?

nonsense, your life is worth more than that
I agree...maybe I will be singing a different tune in 20 years but I’d rather have a mediocre route and a shorter drive. I love driving for work. Can’t stand the commute.

oldngray

nowhere special
I agree...maybe I will be singing a different tune in 20 years but I’d rather have a mediocre route and a shorter drive. I love driving for work. Can’t stand the commute.
I did the same thing. Gave up a good route for a crappy one in a building closer to where I live. It was worth it for the personal time saved. Longer commute wasn't bad in good weather but could take twice as long sometimes.

old levi's

blank space

Pros:
Own truck still

Cons:

Ran a satellite for about 3 years with the commute time being identical to what you are facing. You will never get home at a decent time, you have to wait for the tp60, then load your own truck, then start your route with a full days volume. After you complete pickups, you must take those back to the tp60 and unload them (more dead time). At days end you park the truck and secure the satellite center and you still have the long drive home. Getting repairs made to the truck was a major hassle, they tend to forget about you.

You are stuck with any problem pkgs. that get sent out to you (damaged, misloads).

The actual satellite location is a huge consideration. Ours was a raised table in the middle of a parking lot ( no bathroom, no water, no shelter overhead).

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Pros:
Own truck still

Cons:

When they tried that here satellite start times weren’t until 10:30 or 11:00 so your 8 hours aren’t up until 8:00 or so. during peak you could work until 10:00 or 11:00 or later
That was a no go for me

scooby0048

My questions:
Are there routes or jobs at your current center you'd like to bid on?

With possible later start time and loading your own car, are you looking at later nights followed by the longer drive home?
There are jobs but like I said, bids are for life and the primo routes / job will be bid on by at least 3 others above me in seniority who do not have a route or who will now be displaced. I could be in the cover / swing pool for the rest of my career. The drive home is irrelevant. I live in the same city as the current center so I always have to drive here anyways.
If you're loading your own truck, shouldn't your start time be earlier?

Probably has to wait for volume to get to satellite center from main center.
That's correct. We will get volume from a driver then overflow will come later as we are loading.
I don't mind the commute as I don't live in a densely populated area like I did back in Massachusetts. It would be the same travel time as it is now but the first 30-40 minutes and last 30-40 minutes would now be on my dime and my mileage.
Does your new site have locker rooms (bathrooms), all your delivery materials and laundry service?
The current building doesn't even use a laundry service even though I know it's in the contract. The new satellite will supposedly have access to a bathroom with hot and cold water..."supposedly"

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There are jobs but like I said, bids are for life and the primo routes / job will be bid on by at least 3 others above me in seniority who do not have a route or who will now be displaced. I could be in the cover / swing pool for the rest of my career. The drive home is irrelevant. I live in the same city as the current center so I always have to drive here anyways.

Sounds to me like the best thing, and what you are probably already leaning towards, is to follow the work. It sucks that you have to deal with the extra wear and tear and fuel expense. Hope it works out for you, one way or the other.