What's expected of a seasonal driver?

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
I've been on a 100% business route for 5 days now and told by my supervisor and center manager I should know how to run it by now. The route normally runs about 180 stops with 250-258 packages and about 10 schedule pick ups. Due to me still learning the area, learning bus. commit times for savers, finding packages on car exc. and on demand pickups, I get bailed out everyday by another driver and he has to deliver to the rest of my business packages before they close at 5pm. As I was thrown on this route blind and not trained on it, I would like to know is this expected of a seasonal driver or is this a little much with me only being on the route for a week?

upschuck

Kinda normal, kinda not. Just trying to put some urgency in your day, but what can they expect, not training you on the route.

Are you at least getting more stops off every day? What does that route dispatch at? During normal times, they give you a couple months to run scratch.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've been on a 100% business route for 5 days now and told by my supervisor and center manager I should know how to run it by now. The route normally runs about 180 stops with 250-258 packages and about 10 schedule pick ups. Due to me still learning the area, learning bus. commit times for savers, finding packages on car exc. and on demand pickups, I get bailed out everyday by another driver and he has to deliver to the rest of my business packages before they close at 5pm. As I was thrown on this route blind and not trained on it, I would like to know is this expected of a seasonal driver or is this a little much with me only being on the route for a week?

You were chosen.

Step it up.

upschuck

@upschuck I am getting more stops off as the days go on but it varies... If I'm seasonal running scratch on this route wouldn't pertain to me would it?
No, but wondering how the numbers say you are running. When I started I ran well over 2 hrs over, and brought that down fairly quickly. That was with several days running with sup.

You should be fine as long as you keep improving. If you do the best you can, that is all you can do. They will say anything to "motivate" you into rushing, and possibly causes "incidents"

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
No, but wondering how the numbers say you are running. When I started I ran well over 2 hrs over, and brought that down fairly quickly. That was with several days running with sup.

You should be fine as long as you keep improving. If you do the best you can, that is all you can do. They will say anything to "motivate" you into rushing, and possibly causes "incidents"
Really haven't been concerned about the numbers because I've been getting helped everyday so my best guess is I'm not to far off, but that's with help. Now when I start running it without help I'm sure I'll be well over the allowed time.

I try my best everyday so at this point that's all I can do and hope to improve daily.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Yes it is a lot... It's a mixture of both, retail that closes after 5pm but majority business that close before 5pm.
I did a route that's 90 business stops and if you're gonna finish you gotta have them done by 245 cause it's also 52 pickups...180 is insane...don't feel bad that you need help

Box Ox

The route normally runs about 180 stops with 250-258 packages and about 10 schedule pick ups.

Check out the ORION computer and see what time it expects you to be at each stop. It's probably stupid ridiculous because of your low package count per stop.

Now when I start running it without help I'm sure I'll be well over the allowed time.

No permanent FT driver is going to hear you've got 180 business stops and blame you for needing help. Your center manager might still act like it's some big (darn) mystery if you weren't a seasonal driver, though.

DOK

10 more working days, you'll make it. Just keep doing what you're, try your best.