Whats the logic behind these new "Lexmark" printers

hdkappler

i remebered a driver at my old center .when drivers release first started.he said it's been that way on his route the past 20yrs.if the garage or porch door or back door was opened it got released.i know i ran his route one time,customer came to door said oh you have to sign.some bus.he never took his board in.but it got del.

govols019

You smell that?
When is a good driver release NOT doing the job right?

Driver Release is prohibited for signature required, controlled high-risk, and OBVIOUS high-risk packages such as computers, watches, or fine jewelry.

I think a 42" plasma TV is pretty obvious.

I treat every package as if it were mine. I wouldn't want my 42" plasma TV DR'd so I wouldn't do it to anyone else.

I'd much rather have a send again than have to explain to LP why I didn't follow proper DR methods.

's a pain in the butt go back to a res.when the house is out of the way

Why is it a pain? We get paid by the hour.

upsgrunt

Driver Release is prohibited for signature required, controlled high-risk, and OBVIOUS high-risk packages such as computers, watches, or fine jewelry.

I think a 42" plasma TV is pretty obvious.

I treat every package as if it were mine. I wouldn't want my 42" plasma TV DR'd so I wouldn't do it to anyone else.

I'd much rather have a send again than have to explain to LP why I didn't follow proper DR methods.

Why is it a pain? We get paid by the hour.

Just out of curiosity, how many send-agains do you average a day? Does your sups ever say anything about your send agains? Sure the TV would be obvious, but if you could get it into an enclosed porch or closed garage that would have the blessing of any manager or LP person as long as it was not "signature required". It doesn't take much anymore for a package to have a value of a couple of hundred dollars. How do you know what is inside a brown cardboard box that you have not opened and is not marked?

upsgrunt

Also, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want UPS to deliver MY 42" plasma! I've seen waaaaaaay to much over the years- I'll pick it up myself from retail, thank you!

govols019

You smell that?
I have as many send agains as following their rules makes me have. Have they ever said anything to me about them? Sure. Until I get a signed letter from my center manager releasing me from all responsibility from stolen DR's I will continue to follow their rules.

Sure the TV would be obvious, but if you could get it into an enclosed porch or closed garage that would have the blessing of any manager or LP person as long as it was not "signature required".

That is against their printed rules. It says driver release is PROHIBITED for that type of item. Keep doing stuff like that and eventually one will come back to bite you.

Cementups

Box Monkey
FYI: the Plasma that I DR'ed on Friday was in a large plain brown box. Nothing on the exterior of hte box noted that it was a plasma. The only reason I knew it was a TV was from the sender part of the label was something like plasmadeals.com or something like that.

As far sa explaining it to LP, again I state that LP are the ones who told us if it has an "03" inthe tracking number, DR it. reduce send-agains. If the shipper doesn't designate signature required, then the driver is free to deliver.

As far as this particular delivery goes, most of you would have DR'ed it as well. You go about 150 yards up a driveway that is straight up. You can barely see the roof of the home from teh road. I left said Plasma on a covered front porch, out of sight and out of weather. And also the development is one on a mountain, in the woods, where every house sits on at least a few acres. Don't lie, you would have left it too. Every space in your truck the next day matters.

upsgrunt

I have as many send agains as following their rules makes me have. Have they ever said anything to me about them? Sure. Until I get a signed letter from my center manager releasing me from all responsibility from stolen DR's I will continue to follow their rules.

That is against their printed rules. It says driver release is PROHIBITED for that type of item. Keep doing stuff like that and eventually one will come back to bite you.

So you follow every printed rule verbatim? Do you ever drive over the speed limit, or forget to close your bulkhead door, or take your lunch outside the 3rd to 6th hour window (or whatever it is), or don't grab the handrail? A little common sense will go a loooooong way at UPS. By that I mean most of us can determine a good DR from a bad DR without looking it up in the rulebook.:laugh:

Griff

Here we have some routes that are "signature only routes", so send agains can really pile up on these. DRing would result in a ridiculous amount of claims on these routes, they are usually routes in very impoverished sections.

Braveheart

I always get a sig for electronics (aren't we supposed to?).
You would think so but I had a manager ride and he made me dr a small flat screen tv. I wrote it all down to see if it was a set up. Different manager, different set of rules. Never in all my years of driving have I had a manager tell me to do such a stupid thing. He drove for only a few months so of course he knows everything.

over9five

Staff member
"Don't lie, you would have left it too."

No lie. There is no way I'd leave electronics without a signature. I get paid to do the right thing. Cha ching! More stops for tomorrow!

AssistantSanta

I always get a sig for electronics (aren't we supposed to?).
As a helper, I run into this situation. This being the buying season, a lot of people are having electronics like computers, TVs and sound systems shipped.

Management told us not to leave obvious high risk items. I think big colorful boxes that clearly show whats inside is something of high value fits that criteria.

I know I wouldn't want those items left on my front porch.
Drivers say do it anyways.

As for doing as told, what are helpers expected to do when we're told
NOT to do something by HR, and to DO that something ANYWAYS by driver?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As a helper, I run into this situation. This being the buying season, a lot of people are having electronics like computers, TVs and sound systems shipped.

Management told us not to leave obvious high risk items. I think big colorful boxes that clearly show whats inside is something of high value fits that criteria.

I know I wouldn't want those items left on my front porch.
Drivers say do it anyways.

As for doing as told, what are helpers expected to do when we're told
NOT to do something by HR, and to DO that something ANYWAYS by driver?

Question the driver by saying this seems to contradict what I was told in Orientation.
Explain to them what you heard in Orientation.
He/she will make the decision at that point ... it is their decision.
Follow the instructions of the driver as long as it is safe and not obviously dishonest.

Unless you are actually a UPS Management person posing as a helper.
If so, lose some weight.

Johney

Dear God man, you must not be working with your driver much to have enough time to search this board and revive a 2007 thread.