Whats the logic behind these new "Lexmark" printers

NI1

We had PCM the past 2 days about these new 'lexmark' printers that we are about to get. They dont want us to driver release them, they want signatures.

Now if this isnt classic ups 'trap' I dont know what isnt. Isnt it better (business wise) to just tell lexmark to type in or check the box where it says ' signature required' instead of giving us a package not to release? I mean, dont we make more money by using that feature? Now, if you are on a hurry dealing with 400 packages a day, will you remember that pcm about lexmark when all you want is to finish your route?

This is a mistake waiting to happen and when it happens, who will get blamed? sometimes I scratch my head thinking who in the heck are making descision around our beloved company.

As for me, if they want signature then I will get signature. But with all the friggin bragging about technology and ups moving at the speed of business, this sort of thing is a no brainer and shouldnt even be waste of am time to tell us we need to get a signature when its easy to require one in a click of a mouse.

Ms Spoken

Ok now this would be to easy but, hey I'm just a brown driver. When the customer puts in the value of the pkg and it's over $1000 the signature required should automatically be added to that box. This feature would only protect the customer and UPS. JMO

I have already had one of these Lexmarks printers and I'm out in the country and of course it was NI1. These printers are coming from HSN (home shopping Network).

wornoutupser

Hey Ms,

I remember when we had Home shopping out of S. Pete Fl.

We "dropped" them when we bought them a scanner for the jewelry- yet we still had empty sealed pkgs going to the customer. The pkgs were scanned at St. Pete but they would be empty and sealed when they arrived at the customer's door.

Those were the days, I did not expect to see them back!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Lexmark itself is a high claims shipper.
I would usually get a sig anyway, unless its someone, somewhere Im very comfortable with.
Same thing with the AT&T/ YAHOO\dsl shipments. Sigs on all.
And to answer your ? NI1, yes it could be a set up. As a company we should require, the labels to scan as sig required. And if they dont and we are instructed to get sigs, the shipper should get charged, and hey, our dispatches will go down accordingly:wink:

Cole

I wouldn't dr a piece of computer equiptment in the first place unless I knew the customer very well, and it was completley out of sight, and I likley still wouldn't.

maybrown

is not a woman
We had PCM the past 2 days about these new 'lexmark' printers that we are about to get. They dont want us to driver release them, they want signatures.

Now if this isnt classic ups 'trap' I dont know what isnt. Isnt it better (business wise) to just tell lexmark to type in or check the box where it says ' signature required' instead of giving us a package not to release? I mean, dont we make more money by using that feature? Now, if you are on a hurry dealing with 400 packages a day, will you remember that pcm about lexmark when all you want is to finish your route?

This is a mistake waiting to happen and when it happens, who will get blamed? sometimes I scratch my head thinking who in the heck are making descision around our beloved company.

As for me, if they want signature then I will get signature. But with all the friggin bragging about technology and ups moving at the speed of business, this sort of thing is a no brainer and shouldnt even be waste of am time to tell us we need to get a signature when its easy to require one in a click of a mouse.

I guess they want to save money. Ditto for some packages with "signature require" stickers but it shows nothing special on your diad.
If they don't want to pay for service I will DR it anyway.
Our company won't make money if we bring back and forth three times.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
derf3733, its in its original pkg, with a HSN blue and white label. It clearly shows what it is. For that reason I wouldnt usually dr anyway.

Last week I was told to reduce my send agains, I has 5 that day, 3 were computer items for one stop. Told them I could have but was weary about DR'ing the computer stuff. They didn't care. Reducing send agains was the hot topic that week. I told them I would try, but a $4000 claim would be a hot topic next week.

NI1

QVC has packages that requires signature. What I am saying is, if getting a signature is such a big deal, why not use the feature (like wine). Instead of plating it there like a mistake waiting to happen so that they can blame us yet again.

NI1

A package can sometimes be in an electronic/pc or whatever box and its content is not the same as it says in the box or vice versa. there is no way to find out if a small box content is a 5000 item or a 2 dollar trading card.

All I am saying is, UPS should make this a signature only item in the diad if it is really a big deal to them to get a signature. It is like putting an overweight in your car. They load it there and it is up to you to deliver it without help but the catch is, if you get hurt then its your fault but in reality they wont tell you "Hey driver, you have an overweight in there and we want you to call for help ok" its like a a trap (lack of a better word) waiting to happen.

upsgrunt

QVC has packages that requires signature. What I am saying is, if getting a signature is such a big deal, why not use the feature (like wine). Instead of plating it there like a mistake waiting to happen so that they can blame us yet again.

I agree! It would be so easy for Ups to integrate into the software that anything over, say $750, automatically become a signature required. When the online software is used doesn't it always ask for a value amount? While I'm here, does anyone else notice that most shipments from UPS stores are followed with a tracer if they are DR'd? I don't know if that is a UPS thing or a UPS store thing, but I'm getting pretty leary of them.

over9five

Staff member
"...but now you can buy a TV or printer for $99."

True, but doesn't the 'DR certification' we look at every year say we get a signature for electronics?