Whats the protocol?

Littlemaker

So im a seasonal driver trying to get on FT as there is a outside hire position thats now due. My helper today didnt scan his walk path and kicked a plastic jug full of nails. The nails went into the grass and the plastic jug broke. I would say the jug/can didnt cost more then a buck. We picked up "most" of the nails and confronted the customer and apologized. She was cool about it and said sorry for leaving it in the path. She also said she will tell her husband when he gets home. My question is do i tell this to management just to CYA. I think the odds of her calling in are very slim but still. I know if you fart in your seat they call it a avoidable accident so just want your opinion. I would hate to tell management and then that puts them in a situation where they have to file a report over a stupid plastic can and some nails.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don't worry about it that one outside hire will probably be a pt supervisor...I can almost guarantee you...

C

chuchu

It was your helper that kicked the can, not you. You did the right thing by addressing it with the customer and you picked up the nails. That was good. It won't hurt your future chances of being hired by disclosing that to the mgmnt. They are no doubt going to ask you if you reviewed the "walk path" issue with your helper. Hope you did.

Honesty is the best policy and that goes a long way with a management teams' opinion of you because if they even THINK you would be a dishonest employee you probably won't have a chance.

P.S. Hope you don't let your helper run and work unsafely, that one is on you.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No outside hires unless they can't find anyone to drive period.......if you want to make UPS a career start in the warehouse like everyone else. Not a slam against the op buy just saying.....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
True little but that 1 outside hire can and usually is a pt supervisor who wants to drive to go into ft management...its been years since a Christmas hire has gone into driving ...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you knock a $1 can of nails over with the tire of your package car the company will do an OJS, write you a warning letter, and spend $1000 worth of time and printer ink in order to document, photograph, investigate, discuss, analyze and prosecute the "accident".

If you kick that same $1 can of nails over with your foot while walking, the company could care less. Seriously.

I wish I could say that I am exaggerating, but I'm not.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Why yawn...tell me how fair it is that people in the warehouse are waiting 10 years for a driving job and someone like you comes in and after one peak gets a full time driving job.....put yourself in the part timers shoes working 2 part time jobs or a pt ups and a additional ft job to make ends meet. The problem is that back in the day ups only wanted to hire pt folks who were going to school...they received a degree then leave the company...that's why they advertised so much at colleges. At one time the ratio was 1 to 1 or 2 to 1...which is totally unacceptable. The ratio needs to be changed to 8 or 10 to 1....no outside hires unless they can't find anyone who wants to drive. Ups doesn't hire management from the street...in most cases so why hire drivers..tell me how all this makes sense up? How would you like it if you paid into ss all these years and someone from Mexico comes over never working a day here and starts collecting 4000 a month in ss from the govt...wouldn't that piss you off. It's not right on so many levels...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why yawn...tell me how fair it is that people in the warehouse are waiting 10 years for a driving job and someone like you comes in and after one peak gets a full time driving job.....put yourself in the part timers shoes working 2 part time jobs or a pt ups and a additional ft job to make ends meet. The problem is that back in the day ups only wanted to hire pt folks who were going to school...they received a degree then leave the company...that's why they advertised so much at colleges. At one time the ratio was 1 to 1 or 2 to 1...which is totally unacceptable. The ratio needs to be changed to 8 or 10 to 1....no outside hires unless they can't find anyone who wants to drive. Ups doesn't hire management from the street...in most cases so why hire drivers..tell me how all this makes sense up? How would you like it if you paid into ss all these years and someone from Mexico comes over never working a day here and starts collecting 4000 a month in ss from the govt...wouldn't that piss you off. It's not right on so many levels...

Yawn.....stretch.......yawn.

When did I ever say I was a Peak hire? I was hired in May of 1989 and got my seniority in April of 1990 under a contract ratified by the then current UPS Teamsters.

menotyou

bella amicizia
...nor can you legislate morality...
Nor, will you ever get Nancy to admit its not fair how the Teamsters sold the PT'ers out which enabled him to be employed by UPS, via Teamster membership(the membership to which he has regularly said he wishes he wasn't part of). Nor, will Nancy admit how unfair it is for someone to earn their stripes in the pt ranks, just to have some newbie come along and take the job that they earned. Not Nancy. Nancy would take the food out of the baby mouth of a pt employee who's next in line for FT.
no, no, no! 6-1. It's not your turn!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was one of 3 hired off the street during a period of growth. One of the three tragically died in an airplane accident. The remaining two got our seniority within a year. The other has since left the company leaving myself as the only one of that group remaining. I am currently #9 on the center seniority list, ahead of two other drivers who have more company seniority than I do as they chose the more traditional route of PT to FT. At the time I was hired the ratio was either 2:1 or 3:1.

UPS was the furthest thing from my mind when I got out of the service in 1989. I was really hoping to find a job where I could use my degree but 6 months of sending out resumes produced zero results. I called a friend who I had been stationed with here when I got back in to town and he told me that he was working at UPS (also an outside hire) and that I should apply. I did and the rest is history.

I am not going to apologize for applying and being hired for an open position with one of the most reputable companies in the world. They took a chance on me and I have repaid that tenfold. I have no control over their hiring practices or whether the union sold out the PTers by allowing outside hires.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Not bashing you...you took an opportunity and good for you...its more of a poke at UPS and the union.why did it take a year for you to get seniority...