What's the worst delivery you've made?

Est.1998

Bulk stop.
P1000 loaded from the bulk head to the rear door with 55lb boxes.
The handtruck rode on the stairs in the cab
Once i get to the stop I'm thinking it's a dock at least.
Nope. Gotta hand truck everything inside.
Oh, and the majority of labels wouldn't scan. Had to key it in.
That delivery took almost 2 hours.

MrBates

School on my route orders about 50 to 60 boxes of textbooks each about 50lbs each. No dock of course. Handcart....Two double glass doors that have you stuck in the first small vestibule in the most awkward way after you open the first door. If you overfill the cart you will not make it thru the vestibule because after opening the first door you have to position the handcart at a special angle so you can open the next door to get in. Oh, and you can't prop open the doors. Security has to buzz you in... every....single....time.

After the first time, secretary gives me a heads up on when the textbooks will be arriving. I take my vacation now during that time and the split drivers that cover hate me.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Walked into a business and put several pkgs on the owner's desk. She picked up a large tube and a huge sex toy fell out!

:biggrin:

Similar situation. (before the internet)

Residential customer, who received and shipped on a daily basis. Was loading up the 2-wheel cart while she was standing

there, when the bottom of a box broke open. Yep.... a whole box of them. I was laughing so hard I dropped to one knee

while she was yelling "shut up". Couldn't wait to get back to the building to tell everyone.

Turn's out.... I was the only one, who didn't know what their business was.

quad decade guy

I had an NDA every morning. This was a refrigerated pkg containing a sick little boys meds. They lived in a trailer down a dirt road that was tree lined. I drove a P1000. So, I had to walk it. 500 yards one way. A menagerie of chickens, geese and a pot bellied pig greeted you every morning. Naturally, half the time they weren't home and it was Adult signature required which meant going back. Doing it all over again. I left this stop until the very last before 10:30 and kept it "alive" as I walked so it wouldn't be late. Things like this eventually caught the eye of the Division Mgr.(the biggest, lousiest bitch on Earth) and led to an intent to terminate, that went nowhere(30 years ago and counting)(she left). Understand-this was just the way it was. It was interesting to do this stop in the dark. As UPS'ers we play the cards dealt. Something Mgt. always seems to forget. I think(most of us) do our best and get it done. Be proud.

KOG72

I’m full of it
I have a funny story.......I was making a delivery to house out in the country,back up the driveway and I go to the side door.I get to the door and knock I hear the man inside say “I’ll be there in a minute “...So I wait for him.Bad mistake the older fellow comes to the door with a buttoned up shirt tucked into his whitey tighty’s and his freakin nuts were hanging out,lol.So I was like nut to meet you,I mean nice to meet you.Next day I had a delivery for the same house thought to myself I will back up driveway drop off package and take off.Well it worked customer was not inside the house I was like sweet I do not have to see him,wrong he was working in his garden in the side yard and for some reason all I could think about was his old sagging nuts.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Frequent delivery to a law office here. Had some girl in fedex g come in their office with a couple things. Tosses them on the top of their counter where a cup of hot coffee is placed. Launched the coffee into the receptionists face. She had pretty bad burns

DriverNerd

I had a 130lb huge box (took up the entire middle of the truck) the day after a snow storm. Roads were still crap the day after and the customer hadn't touched his driveway - which was also very steep. I could have sheeted it emergency conditions but this thing was in my way all morning. It would've been a nightmare to deal with when I did pickups, so it had to go. I put in on the cart and even then barely got it to the bottom of the driveway with all the snow still in the road. Rolled and pushed the box through a foot of snow uphill until about halfway up the driveway when I couldn't get any more traction with my feet to keep pushing up. Left it in the middle of the driveway.

Est.1998

I had a 130lb huge box (took up the entire middle of the truck) the day after a snow storm. Roads were still crap the day after and the customer hadn't touched his driveway - which was also very steep. I could have sheeted it emergency conditions but this thing was in my way all morning. It would've been a nightmare to deal with when I did pickups, so it had to go. I put in on the cart and even then barely got it to the bottom of the driveway with all the snow still in the road. Rolled and pushed the box through a foot of snow uphill until about halfway up the driveway when I couldn't get any more traction with my feet to keep pushing up. Left it in the middle of the driveway.
Lol ain't no way i would've attempted to use a handcart or roll and push a box heavier than a full grown person in that situation.
I would've knocked on the door, and told the homeowner their pkg was here.
They could've helped me bring it to their door or it would've stayed at the bottom of their driveway.

DriverNerd

Lol ain't no way i would've attempted to use a handcart or roll and push a box heavier than a full grown person in that situation.
They could've helped me bring it to their door or it would've stayed at the bottom of their driveway.
If it was a package I could have tucked under a shelf I wouldn't have left the truck, but then I wouldn't be able to share it as my worst delivery ever.

ouanling

this has been my attitude since my 4th week

saved me a lot of hardship and probably injuries

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
50 boxes of printer paper weighing 50lbs each delivered to a Toyota plant. I quit package the next day, became a shifter then feeder. You guys can have that s*.

Whither

Scofflaw
Last winter, my first at UPS, went out in the blind in a bricked out 1000. Wintry mix all day. Might've had 80 deliveries done by 5pm. Once the sun went down road conditions deteriorated. Next stop was 5 or 6 of those 35lb McKesson pkgs, some kind of liquid for dialysis or cancer treatment, next best thing to reams of paper, so I wanted to park as close as possible. Turns out the stop was midway up a hill on a one-way street. But, the street didn't seem to be icy and the hill wasn't steep. Pulled inches from the curb, turned my wheels, set the well-adjusted hand brake and put it in park.

As soon as I took my foot off the foot brake and rose out of the seat, the pkg car began to slide downhill. Ope ... I had parked on black ice! There was a car parked about 2 car lengths behind me, and several cars on the opposite side. This was the beginning of a harrowing 5 minutes in which I wound up having to correct several skids with the car in reverse, sliding down the hill with little to no traction, and the ever-present threat of striking parked cars on either side. Finally made it to the top of the hill without touching anything besides the curb. Of course there was a stop sign. I ignored it after clearing the intersection, found a level parking spot and EC'd the damned pkgs.

I've been down the same block in nice weather a few times since, and I can see why I didn't think the hill was dangerous ... but good lord that taught me to use extreme caution in wintry conditions.