Whats up with DHL?

Pasaholic

Went to work today and was asked by 3 custemers what I was going to do with all the extra volume now that DHL is going out of business in US, had no idea because thats the first I have heard of that, and I see the DHL vans still driving around. Anyone have any info

8Years2Go

I had heard that they were keeping their International and Domestic Air, but losing/giving up/quiting/throwing in the towell on the ground packages.

filthpig

If they are bugging out it makes sense. The DHL chick on my route doesn't ever seem to be doing squat. I see her standing around talking a lot.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I just ordered some electronic parts from one of my suppliers and they were to ship it UPS, I just got a notification that it is on a DHL truck. To be deliverd today.......I see nothing on their site, but will probably have to go to their terminal to P/U my package because there is never anyone home. I never see that many DHL trucks around my neighborhood and I live very close to Albany Neew York. Time will tell if the rumor is true.

I just ordered some electronic parts from one of my suppliers and they were to ship it UPS, I just got a notification that it is on a DHL truck. To be deliverd today.......I see nothing on their site, but will probably have to go to their terminal to P/U my package because there is never anyone home. I never see that many DHL trucks around my neighborhood and I live very close to Albany Neew York. Time will tell if the rumor is true.
You'll be lucky if they can even find the package, going to their terminal will be the easy way to do it. Hell, the DHL driver may have left it at a corner service station to hold for you, just in case you go there of fuel.

Overpaid Union Thug

You'll be lucky if they can even find the package, going to their terminal will be the easy way to do it. Hell, the DHL driver may have left it at a corner service station to hold for you, just in case you go there of fuel.

Yeah..they probably left it on top of the Dell computers that they missdelivered and driver released at that gas station.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Well the package arrived, and I did have a chance to talk to the person one on one and he has not been told anything about this news story so he is just one of the grunts in the field. I guess we can believe it when we see it. I still do not see a lot of their trucks in my area....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have been asked to submit lists of our pickup accounts that also use DHL to our sales execs as there will be a concerted effort to try and capture this potential volume.

Overpaid Union Thug

If DHL goes under I don't think it will really affect us that much here. The DHL drivers here cover so much ground. Taking all of their stops would probably add 10-15 stops for each of our routes. If that.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I pick up from a major web based shipper. UPS was getting the lions share of the pkgs until %^&*^&%$ DHL showed up. Went from 2 53 footers a day to a single 28.:sad-very:
Shipper came back for peak '07, then dropped UPS again in Jan 08. 1st of March the Nat Sales rep asked me if I had heard some rumblings of discontent from the shipper. I had, and he told me that DHL had fired all but two sales execs in the SE US. Our Sales rep told me to keep the ear to the ground, because DHL was most likely going into an exit mode. That day, the head of shipping told me to find some 53'trls, and store them on his lot, as he wanted to have the capacity when DHL left him high and dry. So what did I do- Fill out a sales lead, and hide 3 53' trls .
The shipper's best guess is that DHL will be gone from domestic ground by 3rd quarter 08.

SmithBarney

DHL will still stick around for a bit, they just dumped MORE money into
the Walgreens deal, I know they will "probably" be "renting" space on some planes
to keep their costs down.
DHL still rules Europe, and I have no idea how they get stuff from china so fast, but
they do.

JustTired

free at last.......
If DHL goes under I don't think it will really affect us that much here. The DHL drivers here cover so much ground. Taking all of their stops would probably add 10-15 stops for each of our routes. If that.

10-15 stops would add another hour to everyones day. Or, in a 100 car center, they could add another 10 drivers that would be out over 9.5 every day! Whatever happens, I'm sure we'll be well prepared for the potential extra volume.:wink2:!!