what's your building volume like

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It's a touch high. Not by much though...maybe 1000 pieces extra. We just upgraded our Smalls Sort so we're getting a little more volume from other buildings.

ibleedbrown

i think they just don't hire enough employees and or the current employees just don't work hard enough. i'm leaning towards a little of both, in my area even four hardened workers would have a fairly tough workload, yet they give us 3 and 1 of them is a 115lb girl. they wonder why stuff is all over the floor and people are not working within the methods. the sups know it's wrong, they just look the other way unless there is a safety audit. for my part i refuse to compromise my safety, i work within the methods/habits and since doing so i have went from 1500pph to 1300pph which is still way above ups "acceptable" pph for a sorter.

1080Driver

We've been heavy Tuesday and Wednesday. Gave away 70 stops Tuesday and 60 Wednesday. And they have that "deer in the headlights" look when you ask why

Future

Victory Ride
volume is above normal in my building..... What in the hell is up with the over 70's for resis?? Never seen so many....feel like a furniture mover

curiousbrain

10% higher than PKG, all week. I'd love to see the accountability for the people responsible for the daily forecast - oh, wait, we fail upwards. Right.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
50,000 to 70,000, given the holiday or bad weather or all of the above. Thats just on the twlight shift, not midnight. Our building is rather massive, yet is too small for the volume it gets each and every day. Back in the 70's-80's, they were eyeing a part of land, they owned of course, with forest to chop down and expand the size. A few environmentalist were sent out to survey the land. They found a lot of animals living in this forest. Such examples are racoons, possums, snakes, rabbits, birds and then they saw one endangered hawk species within the trees. That was enough to stop the expanding of this building at all cost.

I see all types of animals roaming the property. Just this week I've seen a family of racoons, a hawk and an armadillo. This building really needs to be expanded, GREATLY! As it is in turmoil over the volume that flows each night of the unload/ preload. Plus the factor that Orlando is growing quickly, and will require more and more volume in the future. I dont think they realize it now, but its coming, I should bring this up..... nah! I wont do them any favors.

DiligentUPSer

Start times are getting later (when you thought they couldn't possibly get any later) while end times are getting earlier. Volume of 135-140,000 done in a 2 hour and 35-45 minute sort-span. Meanwhile, there's a sea of packages coming belt-wide the entire sort to the point that the belt can barely contain all the packages. Trailers are backed up and stacked to capacity and mountains of packages fallen off to the sides that prevent people from getting in and out of their loads. And at the end of the night you see seemingly endless piles and carnage from all the damaged packages. Go figure. This has been par for the course over the last month or so.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Their going to roll back start times regardless of volume and junk. They think shaving off 10, 20 and 30 mintues here and there will matter in the long run, yet it will cause more problems. It doesnt, its a false thought that saving time in one aspect will cause a chain reaction to others.

I often think they do this because of those who dont put the effort in forefront. Thus your brother and sisters might cause problems for others, many others. One person can cause problems for 10 and/ or 100 people along the way. So many things I can think of and say of that situation.

ibleedbrown

they are just trying to break their own profit records, it gets crazier every year! later start time plus we did have extra volume, we got absolutely slammed yesterday, stacking the great wall of china in the sort aisle, belts off every five minutes and we still got down early somehow. people are at their boiling points. on top of all that i'm fighting a flu, i hope i make it through these next 2 days, i can't afford to take a day off.

rudy5150

yep they would rather pay 60 drivers $32 an hour for a half hour loading their trucks in the am rather than 30 preloaders making an average of $13 an hour to load.. Makes a lot of sense doesnt it!!!! All they would have to do is start the preload a half hour to 40 minutes earlier everyday and they wouldnt have to walk into a big huge mess...great way to start the drivers day!

ibleedbrown

ups actually had a heart tonight, i let them know i was fighting a flu and they hooked me up, the combination of low volume and no call ins had me working a very chill night and i needed it!!!