when am I elgible for health insurance?

Mike0203

Hi, new here at UPSF on my 4th week with them as a dockworker pt. Ive been searching all over to see when im elgible for health insurance. Ive heard people say 30 working days and some say a year. Which is it? Thanks!​

menotyou

bella amicizia
Do you have a copy of your contract? Do you still have the paperwork from when you were hired? You should have been supplied with a phone number or contact name for your Union hall. Contact them for a copy of your contract and the phone number to your health and welfare fund. Call the health fund. They can answer your benefit questions. While on the phone with them, ask for a Summary Plan Description. Fancy book that explains in detail your benefits. Good luck and Welcome!

Mike0203

they did not give me anyhing. everything was very disorganized and my supervisor does not know anything. thanks for the help

Last edited:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Well, first things first. You are currently a probationary employee. From what I've seen (Article 5, section 5), you must work 45 days in a 90 working-day period.

menotyou

bella amicizia
they did not give me anyhing. everything was very disorganized and my supervisor does not know anything. thanks for the help
Look around the shop. Find the board where they post the minimum wage papers and something should be hanging with your local on it. Maybe someone is wearing a t-shirt. Ask them for a number or google it.

You will have insurance after your 45 punches... But it will be retroactive to your 1st day... There is a link in Upsers.com.. With health insurance info and phone numbers... Call them because You need to pick your plan... You need your employee number to register...

leumaS

You will have insurance after your 45 punches... But it will be retroactive to your 1st day... There is a link in Upsers.com.. With health insurance info and phone numbers... Call them because You need to pick your plan... You need your employee number to register...

I'm also a pt dockworker and from what I've been told by coworkers is that pt employees have to wait a year. I'm in Cali so I don't know if it's different state to state.

Not sure.. I'm a road driver... But I just got hired 8 months ago... Check UPSERS.COM... it has all your info... And from what I've learned don't believe anything any coworker says.. I got bad info that way...

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
It is a year I believe. It used to be 30 days but they changed it.
^^^^You do know you're replying to a UPS FREIGHT employee, don't you?

I've glanced at what I believe to be the applicable Summary Plan Description. It says one (1) year for part time employees. What's not clear is where in the UPSF contract there is provision for part time employees, rather, it refers to casuals. I think there may be some challenges to the part time classification.
In the meantime, Mike0203, I would refer you back to post #4. Complete your probationary period. Then get your CDL.