When Did You Realize That You're Just a Number?

Seymour Packages

I'll start. 4 years ago, I get a message on the DIAD directing me to go take another driver's air. His was the route next to mine. I pull up and there is an ambulance up the road. I don't give it a second thought. Turns out the driver had a medical emergency on area, and had to be rushed to the ER. Before an ORS even got there, two other package cars arrived to take stops from the now driverless package car. The driver was instructed to leave the keys and his DIAD. He was taken to the hospital, and us 3 drivers stood there in disbelief. I got the air and left, ensuring that it was ALL delivered very late (friend UPS). I eventually got word that an ORS made it out to shuttle the PC back to the center. From that day on, it was clear that you could literally die on your route and the company would continue on as if you never existed. An old timer told me that the packages are worth more to the company than we are. I have yet to hear a more accurate statement.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Many moons ago, in an era before widespread cellphone use when you couldn't text your supervisor, you actually had to call up the building to call out for the day.

The center I worked in had the manager and only two on roads for about 75 drivers (again, many moons ago, 75 drivers require at least 5 on road supervisors now lol). The center manager was a tyrant. You prayed you didn't get him on the phone when the OMS transfered you. My group supervisor was decent enough but he would always give you a hard time because he didn't want to have to deal with the tyrant center manager.

Both would give you the old song and dance - you're no good, you're killing us, you're sinking the operation, its your responsibility to be here!

Then there was the other on road supervisor. I called out once very early in my FT career and I was transfered to him by the OMS. The conversation went like this, word for word...

Me: (supervisor name), I cant make it in today I...
Supervisor: OK!
:: phone click ::

I sat staring at my phone for probably 30 seconds as I sat shocked and thought to myself "man, they really don't need me!"

That supervisor left UPS a year or two later for DHL. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with cancer shortly thereafter and elected to drink himself to death not long after. He'll always be one of my favorites even though I never directly worked for him because he taught me that day not to sweat the small stuff because the company will always get it done regardless if I'm there or not.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'll start. 4 years ago, I get a message on the DIAD directing me to go take another driver's air. His was the route next to mine. I pull up and there is an ambulance up the road. I don't give it a second thought. Turns out the driver had a medical emergency on area, and had to be rushed to the ER. Before an ORS even got there, two other package cars arrived to take stops from the now driverless package car. The driver was instructed to leave the keys and his DIAD. He was taken to the hospital, and us 3 drivers stood there in disbelief. I got the air and left, ensuring that it was ALL delivered very late (friend UPS). I eventually got word that an ORS made it out to shuttle the PC back to the center. From that day on, it was clear that you could literally die on your route and the company would continue on as if you never existed. An old timer told me that the packages are worth more to the company than we are. I have yet to hear a more accurate statement.
What happened to the driver that had to go to ER?

I mean, it sucks people get hurt or fall ill, but any job has to get covered. The Police Dept or the Mall doesn’t close down because someone that works there is injured. Why all the fanfare?

Seymour Packages

What happened to the driver that had to go to ER?

I mean, it sucks people get hurt or fall ill, but any job has to get covered. The Police Dept or the Mall doesn’t close down because someone that works there is injured. Why all the fanfare?
Suffered a massive heart attack. Ended up going out on medical retirement.
And yes, the world still has to function when people get sick or die at work. Few places make this as painfully clear as UPS in recent years. Every package has a tracking number, every employee has an ID. It's all numbers. We aren't unique in their eyes. Therefore take your lunches, breaks, sick time, option days, etc, grieve all contract violations, and give them NOTHING except a fair days work.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Suffered a massive heart attack. Ended up going out on medical retirement.
And yes, the world still has to function when people get sick or die at work. Few places make this as painfully clear as UPS in recent years. Every package has a tracking number, every employee has an ID. It's all numbers. We aren't unique in their eyes. Therefore take your lunches, breaks, sick time, option days, etc, grieve all contract violations, and give them NOTHING except a fair days work.
Sorry to hear.

The rest of the world doesn’t know how mentally effed up it can be to work here.

Whither

Scofflaw
I realized this when I got my first job at 16 and it has rang true with every one of my employers. The show must go on.
Second this.

However, on the theme: midway through my 30 days, I pulled up to a busy, high-speed intersection during my air run, which was heavy that day. Did a double take at seeing a brown p-700 with a smashed front end across the highway, partly blocking traffic. Then I saw a full-size pickup truck with even worse front end damage. After I got the signal I pulled some distance past the wrecked vehicles and parked on the generous shoulder. Walked to the scene and was shocked to see my old buddy -- we had worked a crap job together years before he qualified at UPS. He was on the phone with a supe but assured me he and the other people involved in the accident were okay. So I carried on and got my last air off at 1030 sharp.

Supe (same one my coworker notified of his accident) rode with me the next day. I brought up the wreck, mentioning I had stopped just to see what he'd say. He didn't disappoint. "You've got a good heart, [my name], and I appreciate that you wanted make sure your coworker was okay, but you shouldn't have pulled over because another vehicle could've hit the wrecked vehicles, and crashed into your package car. And since you're qualifying, that would've been it. If you ever come across an accident again, just keep driving to your next stop and call the center to let us know, and we'll come out and take care of everything."

Turns out the pickup had blown a red light at full speed (55mph on that road). My buddy would've been T-boned in the (open) driver door, but somehow got the pkg car turned at the last second and took a glancing blow off the corner of front bumper. Of course he was charged for not clearing the intersection. He put in his notice a couple days later, said he'd already had a couple close calls.

charm299

Back when I was six years old I played pee wee football and was given the number 13. It was then and there that I realized I would go through life just as a number

The Driver

I drive.
I come here for the jokes and sometimes the camaraderie and information... but it's threads like these that are a perennial reminder to be as safe as possible, every minute of this job.

wornoutupser

I realized that I was just a number as a young preloader.

I called in in December with a high fever and vomiting. I was told to come in or I would be fired.

I went in and passed out on the floor for 2 1\2 hours. I was paid to not work and all of my co workers were told that if they stopped to help me that they would be fired.

I woke up and was given a chair and had to tell another employee were to load what (in the days of load charts).

See why I have an attitude problem?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I realized that I was just a number as a young preloader.

I called in in December with a high fever and vomiting. I was told to come in or I would be fired.

I went in and passed out on the floor for 2 1\2 hours. I was paid to not work and all of my co workers were told that if they stopped to help me that they would be fired.

I woke up and was given a chair and had to tell another employee were to load what (in the days of load charts).

See why I have an attitude problem?

You passed out on the floor for 2 1/2 hours

Gonna call BS on that one

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Many moons ago, in an era before widespread cellphone use when you couldn't text your supervisor, you actually had to call up the building to call out for the day.

The center I worked in had the manager and only two on roads for about 75 drivers (again, many moons ago, 75 drivers require at least 5 on road supervisors now lol). The center manager was a tyrant. You prayed you didn't get him on the phone when the OMS transfered you. My group supervisor was decent enough but he would always give you a hard time because he didn't want to have to deal with the tyrant center manager.

Both would give you the old song and dance - you're no good, you're killing us, you're sinking the operation, its your responsibility to be here!

Then there was the other on road supervisor. I called out once very early in my FT career and I was transfered to him by the OMS. The conversation went like this, word for word...

Me: (supervisor name), I cant make it in today I...
Supervisor: OK!
:: phone click ::

I sat staring at my phone for probably 30 seconds as I sat shocked and thought to myself "man, they really don't need me!"

That supervisor left UPS a year or two later for DHL. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with cancer shortly thereafter and elected to drink himself to death not long after. He'll always be one of my favorites even though I never directly worked for him because he taught me that day not to sweat the small stuff because the company will always get it done regardless if I'm there or not.
Let this be a lesson to everyone. When you call the office and an oms answers, you say hey it’s Jim bob, I’m calling out sick. When the the oms says “hold on let me transfer you”

Hang up

watdaflock?

About 20 years ago, long before joining UPS. White collar non-union is the worst. We have it great, compared to some.

(Although....white collar Xmas parties covered by the owners check, were effin' awesome)

Last edited:

UPSER1987

Of course life goes on. Did you expect the company to shut down services that day? Maybe there were medical packages among the next day air you delivered very late that day- should those have gone undelivered? Should the package car the ORS shuttled back in remain on the street indefinitely? You seem to be very triggered, but this is one argument that seems pretty silly IMO. Pick a better battle. UPS owes you a paycheck for hours work, nothing more. If you want input on the day to day operations, go into management.

Seymour Packages

Of course life goes on. Did you expect the company to shut down services that day? Maybe there were medical packages among the next day air you delivered very late that day- should those have gone undelivered? Should the package car the ORS shuttled back in remain on the street indefinitely? You seem to be very triggered, but this is one argument that seems pretty silly IMO. Pick a better battle. UPS owes you a paycheck for hours work, nothing more. If you want input on the day to day operations, go into management.
You missed the point completely. I do not expect a multinational shipping company to shut down due to one of its employees having major medical emergency at work. What I do expect, however, is for employees to be treated better than we currently are. Read the threads. This company is SCUM. They are running a business and the end goal is profit, any adult understands that. But the consistent dishonesty, disregard for employee wellness, and farce of "safety" is not good business. You end up with thousands of disgruntled workers who don't feel like they have a stake in the company. Most of us arent going anywhere, but please get off your knees and realize that wrong is wrong, no matter where you work. Have an outstanding day!