When do full time employees get Insurance?

Up In Smoke

In our local, it's seniority plus 30 calendar days. Essentially it's 3 months because your seniority date is back dated to your first driving day and the company makes good on those days. Our local holds the employee's premiums three months in advance.

Johney

Which is terrible, most companies it starts on day one.
But you also pay for it. Health insurance rates are crazy. I just went to a meeting at the part time job I started a few months back, it’s their annual sign up time for employees getting the insurance. $35 a pay period(every two weeks) for medical alone. Add your spouse and it jumps to $360 every paycheck. Medical alone start adding dental, vision, etc it’s crazy.

Nah
But you also pay for it. Health insurance rates are crazy. I just went to a meeting at the part time job I started a few months back, it’s their annual sign up time for employees getting the insurance. $35 a pay period(every two weeks) for medical alone. Add your spouse and it jumps to $360 every paycheck. Medical alone start adding dental, vision, etc it’s crazy.
That's pretty bad for a part time job. I pay $41 per pay period at my job. It comes out of my check but just one of my quarterly bonuses alone pays for all the premiums for the whole year so it's a wash. Might as well be free.

Up In Smoke

That's pretty bad for a part time job. I pay $41 per pay period at my job. It comes out of my check but just one of my quarterly bonuses alone pays for all the premiums for the whole year so it's a wash. Might as well be free.
What are your out of pocket yearly expenses beyond the premiums.

Trucker Clock

Might as well be free.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, I see.

Let me help you out. You get a quarterly bonus and this bonus has nothing to do with you paying $41 per pay period for health insurance.

You should be able to spend this bonus, invest it, or put it in the bank. Instead, you take this money and pay your health insurance. So how is your health insurance basically free?

Nah
Not the sharpest tool in the shed, I see.

Let me help you out. You get a quarterly bonus and this bonus has nothing to do with you paying $41 per pay period for health insurance.

You should be able to spend this bonus, invest it, or put it in the bank. Instead, you take this money and pay your health insurance. So how is your health insurance basically free?
Because they don't have to give us a bonus at all, and I don't work towards it. I work for my wages. None of my budgeting whatsoever factors in our bonus so it's like found money as far as I'm concerned.

Trucker Clock

Because they don't have to give us a bonus at all, and I don't work towards it. I work for my wages. None of my budgeting whatsoever factors in our bonus so it's like found money as far as I'm concerned.

You would have this found money regardless of your health insurance premiums. But, you're taking this found money and paying your health insurance premium. Thus, your health insurance premiums are not basically free. You're still paying $41 per pay period and using your bonus to pay it, instead of spending, or saving, your bonus on other things.

Nah
You would have this found money regardless of your health insurance premiums. But, you're taking this found money and paying your health insurance premium. Thus, your health insurance premiums are not basically free. You're still paying $41 per pay period and using your bonus to pay it, instead of spending, or saving, your bonus on other things.
I guess the point I'm trying to make here is they GIVE me more than enough money that I don't include in my budget to pay for things like my benefits premiums for the whole year. With plenty left over.

Think of it this way... They could take on full responsibility for the premiums so I don't have to worry about it at all, and at the same time, reduce the maximum bonus by that amount. That's what I mean by it might as well be free. They don't have to give us bonuses at all, but the health premiums will always be there.

Trucker Clock

They could take on full responsibility for the premiums so I don't have to worry about it at all, and at the same time, reduce the maximum bonus by that amount.

I get it, but they don't take on responsibility for the premiums. You do. And if your bonus takes into account the money you pay for your premiums, I also get it. If you didn't pay premiums, would your bonus be less? If yes, then your health insurance may be basically free. If no, then your health insurance is not free.

They don't have to give us bonuses at all, but the health premiums will always be there.

But they give you bonuses. And would that change if you didn't pay for your health insurance? Nobody probably really knows.

Johney

I think you missed it. I can’t get insurance because I’m part time not that I would anyway cause I got retirement insurance through Teamcare