When do you stop dreaming about the job?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I retired 3 weeks ago and I'm ready to stop dreaming about the job lol. last night I dreamt i decided to go back and I couldnt get on my old route so i was blind in a town I didnt know,everyone was angry at me for being late and I couldn;t find my pick up stops.

I have had dreams about the job at least 8 times since i retired,and they are all the usual: Can't find my truck after a delivery, fell asleep at lunch and it's 10 pm when i wake up and I still have 100 stops left and I rolled the package car coming out of a driver way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have the same kind of dreams occasionally, I think the last one I was wandering around the building trying to find my tractor. Also had one where I was driving around trying to get to my last air stop and kept making wrong turns. Then you wake up and realize you're never gonna have to deal with that place again and it feels pretty good.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
As a self appointed BrownCafe pseudo psychologist in good standing, I would say your dreams are the inner subconscious dealing with the sudden employment cessation.

In both above examples, we can see the negative aspects of work experience come forthright via dreams. These negative examples serve to validate the choice to move on, serving to ease the natural stress leaving a position and connected security entails.

I fully expect these dreams to diminish as the subconscious learns to accept and adapt to these new circumstances.

Shiftless

Heck if your having them, make the best out of them!

They go away, wont be long you wont remember names of people, then comes the you wont even recognize anybody at ups stage!

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Been out 12 years.
Still have have them every now and again.
@Wally Psycho Therapy shock treatments have been somewhat successful but I always felt like I had just left the building with a 12 hour dispatch.
@Jones is right. Man does it feel good 2 seconds after you wake up.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
As a self appointed BrownCafe pseudo psychologist in good standing, I would say your dreams are the inner subconscious dealing with the sudden employment cessation.

In both above examples, we can see the negative aspects of work experience come forthright via dreams. These negative examples serve to validate the choice to move on, serving to ease the natural stress leaving a position and connected security entails.

I fully expect these dreams to diminish as the subconscious learns to accept and adapt to these new circumstances.

They are anxiety dreams. The subconcious is trying to get the dreamer's attention about something they are worried about by using imagery that the dreamer will recognize readily. I recommend people having these dreams spend some time thinking about what they may be anxious about so they can put their subconcious at ease

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I'm coming up on 3 years retired, and still have the occasional can't make time commitment dreams. The constant, the package car is never emptying. I wake up pissed off at myself that I spent any time off the clock even thinking/dreaming about UPS!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I had dreams all five years up until the very end. The most frequent ones were during peak where I'd be finishing the stops I couldn't get done that day. Been out for three years and I still have UPS dreams. Hell, I had a dream last week about a job I left over eight years ago. They won't stop.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They are anxiety dreams. The subconcious is trying to get the dreamer's attention about something they are worried about by using imagery that the dreamer will recognize readily. I recommend people having these dreams spend some time thinking about what they may be anxious about so they can put their subconcious at ease
Now everyone is a Dr. Wally? It took me minutes to earn my Pseudo-Psychology degree!

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I had dreams all five years up until the very end. The most frequent ones were during peak where I'd be finishing the stops I couldn't get done that day. Been out for three years and I still have UPS dreams. Hell, I had a dream last week about a job I left over eight years ago. They won't stop.

Every now and again I'll have a dream that I'm still enlisted, and I've been AWOL for 15 years.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I’ve been out 4 months after 39+ yrs and I’ve only had a couple dreams. One when I woke up I had to really think about how it was even related to UPS and in the other one my truck was full and packages was all around and on the belt. The supervisor started sending the packages down the belt and I just didn’t give a :censored2: and let them keep going down the belt 😅 I woke up smiling. But my last 10 yrs that was my attitude. I did my job but I did everything by the book and never worried about time commitments. I ran straight air if I had 3 stops or 20 so if the air was late they couldn‘t say anything. I never told them I had to much air they figured that out when it was late. When they asked why I didn’t tell them I had to much air? I just said “your job is to dispatch, mine is to deliver it” I made it their problem not mine. I never told them anything more than once. If I told them something I made sure it came true. Some great things I learned was no problem was a problem till it became management’s problem so I figured out how to make it their problems and not mine. Next thing I learned was to clock out of UPS when you clock out. I didn’t hang around and shop talk after work. I didn‘t come home and complain or even talk to my family about work. UPS had me for 10 to 12 hrs why let them have my mind the rest of the time and not even be getting paid. My last day at UPS I told them to not even mention I was leaving. That was the way I wanted to retire. The practice of putting UPS out of my mind when I wasn’t at work seems to have helped me in retirement. Good luck all and Happy Dreams 😅

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been retired going on 20 years and I still have an occasional UPS dream. I blame it on hanging around the Brown Cafe. I might have to give this place up sometime.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had one the other night. I was being trained on a new route, but we had to take a dingy to get there. I looked out on Lake Erie, I was on the dock in my hometown...IDKwhy..I could see a freighter, going straight up in the air, and then plunging underwater, and every one sitting in it was drenched, like a log ride at an amusement park. Only in open seas, or in this case Lake Erie.......I said you can barely show me how to run a route, and you think I am going across that with you? I quit, Im gone, have fun.
I can only decipher this as a trust issue, a set up to fail scenario. Rough seas ahead.
Its been four years, and I thank God every day, especially yesterday. The first. The day they pay me for not coming in.
Makes me shudder.