when does peak begin?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Peak is the easiest time of the year. A little more work with a butt load more time to do it in, cake. Plus the cooler weather helps as well. Problem with that is the management and soups think you can handle that much in less time and hotter weather.

A thing I learned here is you cant see things by week by week. But see things months in advance. Holidays, peak and vacation situations come to mind.

UPS Lifer

Peak is the easiest time of the year. A little more work with a butt load more time to do it in, cake. Plus the cooler weather helps as well. Problem with that is the management and soups think you can handle that much in less time and hotter weather.

A thing I learned here is you cant see things by week by week. But see things months in advance. Holidays, peak and vacation situations come to mind.

I guess it depends on where you work! I have always found it easier to add drivers than to cut them. If you are in a PU driven center, you may even get feeder help to get volume back to the building early for a pre-charge or a noon-day sort.

This reminds me of an incident which caused me to confront a driver the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. The driver had the same number of stops on Monday as he had from the week before, yet it took him an hour longer. When I asked him "What happened?" He told me, "It's peak!". I proceeded to "retrain" him and his thought process. He assumed that it was OK to work longer.... nobody would be looking because of the season!! I can recall many employees with that attitude just because of the season...not because of the workload!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I guess it depends on where you work! I have always found it easier to add drivers than to cut them. If you are in a PU driven center, you may even get feeder help to get volume back to the building early for a pre-charge or a noon-day sort.

This reminds me of an incident which caused me to confront a driver the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. The driver had the same number of stops on Monday as he had from the week before, yet it took him an hour longer. When I asked him "What happened?" He told me, "It's peak!". I proceeded to "retrain" him and his thought process. He assumed that it was OK to work longer.... nobody would be looking because of the season!! I can recall many employees with that attitude just because of the season...not because of the workload!
I usually agree with you, but I have had days where my truck was stuffed, and I get done in record time, and then days where I could have an orgy in the middle and I cant get done. I agree some people could have that mindset, but as for me myself and I, once I hit the go pedal and leave the building, Im fighting my way home.

old levi's

blank space
I usually agree with you, but I have had days where my truck was stuffed, and I get done in record time, and then days where I could have an orgy in the middle and I cant get done. I agree some people could have that mindset, but as for me myself and I, once I hit the go pedal and leave the building, Im fighting my way home.

I find it really interesting that you would use the (orgy in the middle of the truck) analogy!
Do tell us more.

AKCoverMan

Here in The Last Frontier we have this thing called the "Permanent Fund Dividend". Basically the Permanent Fund was set up when we first started bringing oil out of the North Slope and is funded by oil tax revenue. It is a huge pot of money that earns millions every year some of which is returned every year to the citizens of Alaska and some which is reinvested in the fund, hence the name "Permanent".

Anyway nearly every man, woman, and child in the state just had an extra $1174 dropped into their checking account this past Thursday. Even now, as I type this people are online shopping.

I expect peak for my center to start Wednesday. That will be the day all the 2DA stuff ordered Friday night, all day Saturday, all day Sunday, and possibly part of Monday that will ship on Monday will arrive here. (A lot of the stuff the retailers routinely send things to Alaska 2DA even though we offer ground.)

Smells like money!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Oh ggeeezz, A long time ago, somehow that came out of my mouth, I mean actually a day when you can walk through your truck, I said it was orgasmic. And as everyone choked on their coffee, donuts whatever, I realized it wasnt a good term to use............But it gets the point across. Ill probaly get banned for this post. In todays UPS I would probably have gotten fired for it...

705red

Browncafe Steward

If you are having an orgy, please still use the methods. 3 points of contact at all times, leave yourself an out, expect the unexpected, space on all 4 sides, use a DR bag to protect the package, count 1 2 3 after the person in front of you has started before procedding. You know the rest! lol

old levi's

blank space
Oh ggeeezz, A long time ago, somehow that came out of my mouth, I mean actually a day when you can walk through your truck, I said it was orgasmic. And as everyone choked on their coffee, donuts whatever, I realized it wasnt a good term to use............But it gets the point across. Ill probaly get banned for this post. In todays UPS I would probably have gotten fired for it...

I just say I can roller skate through the truck. The orgy part never occurred to me, but then I don't live life in the fast lane like you tooner. :wink2:

old levi's

blank space
If you are having an orgy, please still use the methods. 3 points of contact at all times, leave yourself an out, expect the unexpected, space on all 4 sides, use a DR bag to protect the package, count 1 2 3 after the person in front of you has started before procedding. You know the rest! lol

Especially: Expect the unexpected!
"Is it yours? Is it mine? Where did that come? Incoming! Waho!"